The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK

+2
corsair
punkyjam67
6 posters

Go down

sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Empty Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 am

I don't know if it's anyone on here who's selling this, but this Clipper caught my eye on eBay the other day:

Clipper CL4112

I can't work out what's going on with the locking nut, though - the shims/washers & bolts don't seem to be there (as usual), but there appears to be a string guide/drilled bar in their place that I've never seen before - anyone have any ideas?
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Empty Re: Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK

Post by corsair Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:31 am

Ahhhhh.... the nut is gone. I'm not sure whats going on there, but these BD locks are a behind-the-nut stringlock and there's something odd happening where the nut should be; the strings go through that bar by the looks of it, eh.... nothing insurmountable but a nuisance, and the price is right!!

I like mine a lot; absolutely fabulous neck and if the pickups are a little bland to your ears then that's easy fixed by either replacing the pups, or EQing and compressing the daylights out of it!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Empty Re: Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 am

corsair wrote:Ahhhhh.... the nut is gone. I'm not sure whats going on there, but these BD locks are a behind-the-nut stringlock and there's something odd happening where the nut should be; the strings go through that bar by the looks of it, eh.... nothing insurmountable but a nuisance, and the price is right!!

I like mine a lot; absolutely fabulous neck and if the pickups are a little bland to your ears then that's easy fixed by either replacing the pups, or EQing and compressing the daylights out of it!!
Yeah, you're right - it looks like the nut's been removed & the stringlock moved down to compensate, hence the two screw holes & the gap at the bottom of the truss-rod cover. As for the string bar, who knows? I think it's a bit of a stretch to describe it as "immaculate condition", though, personally...
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm

You bugger, I was hoping to keep this one quiet, love that colour, same as my old series II, wish I'd never sold that one, only let it go to get cash for a usa peavey that never happened :-(
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:You bugger, I was hoping to keep this one quiet,  love that colour, same as my old series II, wish I'd never sold that one, only let it go to get cash for a usa peavey that never happened :-(
Whoops, sorry!  Twisted Evil

There'll be no bidding competition from me, though - I was basically only looking 'cos I could do with a whammy-equipped back-up geetar & it was cheap, but if it's going to need remedial work, my interest has waned somewhat... The seller says he's going to send me some better pics of the stringlock area, though, so if he does, I'll pass them on Smile
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 pm

hehe, I have no divine right to this, bid away  Very Happy
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Actually I think the nut is still in place, just the clamps missing, one can clearly see the nut turrets where it meets the fretboard, or maybe I'm seeing things.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:14 pm

I have a whammy equipped series II Spectrum for sale if you're interested punkyjam.
Excellent nick, all there - shims, washers, bolts etc...lemmee know if you're interested or want some pics.
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Actually I think the nut is still in place, just the clamps missing, one can clearly see the nut turrets where it meets the fretboard, or maybe I'm seeing things.
I think it's the 'nut' nut that's missing, not the 'locking' nut (string lock), if you see what I mean...  scratch

If you look at the photos on the listing, there's a gap between the bottom edge of the truss rod cover & the baseplate for the string lock, & two screw holes close to the corners of the truss rod cover. I don't know if I'm right, but I reckon the nut's been removed (why?) & the string lock baseplate moved down to butt up against the end of the fretboard (again, why?). The clamps are missing as well, & then there's the strange string guide bar 'thing', so like I said, I've lost interest a bit...
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Oh yeh, you could be right there....sounds like £££ off to me  Wink
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Catalyst wrote:I have a whammy equipped series II Spectrum for sale if you're interested punkyjam.
Excellent nick, all there - shims, washers, bolts etc...lemmee know if you're interested or want some pics.
Cheers for the offer, & hopefully this won't cause offence, but I don't really like the body shape on the Series IIs... sorry! Embarassed (I can't actually decide whether I like the Clipper, either, to be honest... Smile)
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:15 pm

That looks like a kahler locking nut to me. The space between the locking nut and the TRC has about the right thickness of a nut. My guess would be that the owner replaced the nut and the stringclamp with a Kahler locking nut...

...here's a pic of my kahler locking nut for a comparison...same "bar" where the strings (should) go through...
sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Foto10
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! good spot.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Those clamp plates can be ordered at wammy world, but at 7 USD each they are quite expensive.
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 pm

i don't think it has been moved. i can't explain the holes behind it, but,
it looks like the Kahler locking nut i found on this much abused Spectrum 3 project a while back
here are a couple pics i took upon it's arrival
the Kahler piece is right up to the rosewood fretboard
sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Ry%3D400sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Ry%3D400sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Ry%3D400sale - Clipper CL4112 for sale on eBay UK Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Bearing in mind that the later Clipper 4112s did indeed have a locking nut; those that had the TRS 101 bridge were so equipped.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:46 pm

silence86 wrote:That looks like a kahler locking nut to me. The space between the locking nut and the TRC has about the right thickness of a nut. My guess would be that the owner replaced the nut and the stringclamp with a Kahler locking nut...

...here's a pic of my kahler locking nut for a comparison...same "bar" where the strings (should) go through...
That's the kiddie - probably makes sense if they stripped the threads from the original Westone baseplate... Smile
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:42 am

punkyjam67 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:I have a whammy equipped series II Spectrum for sale if you're interested punkyjam.
Cheers for the offer, & hopefully this won't cause offence, but I don't really like the body shape on the Series IIs... sorry! Embarassed (I can't actually decide whether I like the Clipper, either, to be honest... Smile)
No probs at all mate  Cool  ....and I know what you mean about the Clipper, I'm not keen but my son loves it  Thinking  - its a Marmite guitar alright.
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:30 pm

I've decided against having a punt on rhis, just don't need it eh, plus with the 4 new arrivals so far this year I need to move a couple on, Urchin deluxe project anyone?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down