The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thunder 1 finish

5 posters

Go down

thunder 1  finish  Empty thunder 1 finish

Post by beefy thunder1a Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm

hi , thinking back to the 80's , i know , frightening , anyway , the old westones i had back then , a thunder a1 guitar and bass , it was like an oil finish , the natural models  (kind of like danish oil )  , the one i picked up the other day seems to have aged to a dark yellow colour (probably been sat in direct sunlight too long) but it seems to have some shiney bits , which i don't remember from a long time ago  , can anyone shed some light please ? , cheers
Alan
beefy thunder1a
beefy thunder1a
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-11-19

Back to top Go down

thunder 1  finish  Empty Re: thunder 1 finish

Post by beefy thunder1a Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:03 am

hi , i took the bridge off last night to polish up the brass and by the looks of things it's now been varnished , the polished bit on the front cutaway must just have been buffed up by the previous owners , cheers
Alan
beefy thunder1a
beefy thunder1a
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 am

I'm not sure I've ever seen a definitive identification of the "natural finish" on the I-A's. The standard colour finishes were, apparently, catalyzed polyurethane (Imron); tough and reasonably flexible.

My guess is that the natural finish on my Ash I-A is a much thinner, clear version of the same product. Many owners have sanded their's and used a good quality Tung Oil or similar to produce a new gorgeous finish.

It's definitely not varnish, and I would not recommend using it.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8724
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:41 am

Polyurethane IS varnish, no? I was always under the impression it was, though it has been pointed out I know nothing (mostly by the wife)
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by beefy thunder1a Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 am

hi guys and thanks for the replys , the last post should have read " not been varnished" , i was thinking of sanding it down and using danish oil (i use it all the time for worktops , when i'm fitting kitchens) but the rather yellowed finish is growing on me , it looks like an honest 33 year old guitar . Apart from the neck ,, the back had so many wee dents and dings it needed a good sanding , much more playable now . 
The first big job was polishing the bridge and saddles , next up is the frets , someone has files the frets to death and not with a fret file  , i don't know if they've tried to do a frettless wonder or what but they made a right arse of it , i'll take some pics and post them up when i'm allowed 
 . The new frets are ordered so i'll do them next weekend , if i'm sober enough , it's my birthday on friday , that might get in the way cheers lol!  cheers
Alan
beefy thunder1a
beefy thunder1a
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:51 am

Cool, pics would be good, my Thunder1 has yellowed a bit too, I like it a lot.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:26 am

I have a few guitars I have done in Danish oil, including a Thunder, 2 Westbury Standards and a Gibson Melody Maker.

You are welcome to come along and have a look.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by beefy thunder1a Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 am

Hi Hoax , i'll take you up on that offer mate just let me know when's good for you .  i refinished my old 1989 mij std strat with danish oil , and i do like the look of it , but it was a poly covered black scarred to bit's mess when i done it ,  i also made a partscaser for my nephew with an allparts rosewood neck and ash body , that came out very nicely espesh the neck done with danish . 
for my players i usually sand the necks down on the back , much nicer to play (for me anyway ) , cheers
Alan
beefy thunder1a
beefy thunder1a
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by munkieNL Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:45 am

thunder 1  finish  -WestoneThunderLO-_0007

My Thunder I has yellowed into a nice erm.. yellow Cool 

Usually the Japanese luthiers used poluretane finish which is hard and durable. On my Thunder you can see the bare wood in a few places. I guess they didn't apply a thick layer of finish at the Matsu factory.
munkieNL
munkieNL

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-12-26

https://s591.photobucket.com/user/munkieNL/library/guitars?sort=3

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Polyurethane IS varnish, no? I was always under the impression it was...
Not really. Although the terms have become a bit intertwined in modern day references.

True varnish is primarily an organic oil/resin based product, which has been used forever in furniture and floor finishing. Polyurethane is a similar "newer" (historically) but different animal, based on isocyanate and other unpronounceable chemicals. Both are durable but there are differences in the way they cure, flexibility, and general impact resistance.

Broadly speaking, in the case of Mats, it's a catalyzed polyurethane, and is a better product for guitar manufacturing purposes since it handles the curvy bits quicker and easier and cures faster, tough as an overcooked steak, etc, etc.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8724
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Ok thanks for clearing that up, that's me told.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down