The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please.

2 posters

Go down

Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please. Empty Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please.

Post by MEKer Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:08 am

Hi----I am researching the lost history of the 1978-1985 Washburns--particularly the basses, but researching the guitars also. As you probably know, US MUSIC CORP dumped all records prior to 1988 (when they took over) and way too much wrong information is out there on these wonderful Yamaki/Matsumoko Washburn instruments. I am researching and collecting pictures with serial numbers, ads, brochures, catalogs, etc to authenticate everything possible about them. I have collected a ton of info and ads, etc but Washburn made lots of mistakes in their own ads and catalogs. I have found some amazing and unexpected anomalies. Been a few years at it now and am kind of the resident Resident Washburn historian over at Talkbass.com under MEKer as well.

Once I have several remaining mysteries solved I hope to publish a book on this. I have found a lot of the information on "expert" vintage Washburn sites to be incorrect.

Please, if anyone has any information, pictures, etc post it here for me (and everyone, as we all enjoy it, yes?).  For example--hoax posted his 2 beautiful Hawks (one Yamaki, one Matsumoko). Serial numbers would be appreciated to tell the year of their manufacture. Notice his Matsu has the name on the truss rod cover. Since they did not do that for the first few years, what year is that Hawk?  That's how I can establish lots of things.  Basses of particular note are B-40, B-40EQ and EQW, SB-40 and SB-40EQ, the Force 40EQ and EQW, and any documentation from 1980 and 1981. 

Thank you for your patience if you have read to here. I hope to contact many of you and your expertise.
MEKer
MEKer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-27

Back to top Go down

Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please. Empty Re: Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please.

Post by hoax Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:54 am

Hi MEKer

Glad you like my Washburns.

Serials are

Yamaki 79330
Matsumoku 832409

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please. Empty Re: Tapping your expertise on Washburns, please.

Post by MEKer Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 am

They are beautiful! Good job on that 1979'er.  And thanks for the serial numbers. So your 1983 Hawk is evidently the first year they put the name on the truss rod cover. Going through all my 1982's and earlier--no name.  Best regards to you and hope to get some good info from others here.  Its a long, frustrating but enjoyable investigation of facts for these babies.
MEKer
MEKer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down