The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT

2 posters

Go down

Bendmaster - Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT Empty Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT

Post by jimmydime Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Not sure where to start. Never dealt with any type of Floyd system, let alone a bendmaster. Just picked up a 1985 DX today, my first Westone. My guitar needs the intonation corrected and I would like to lower the action slightly.
Any setup information or link would be greatly appreciated.

Rolling Eyes Wink
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT Empty Re: Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT

Post by corsair Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 am

The FT is easy to intonate so you shouldn't have any trouble there, bearing in mind that it is a floating bridge if set up correctly. I have mine set level to allow for up bends as well as dive bombs and the height is set with the the two bolts that the knife edges of the bridge plate engage; turning them raises or lowers the bridge on that side.
Allow the strings to stretch properly before clamping the locks down and you should have no trouble with the thing returning to pitch, though I also recommend a little - little is operative word here!! - lubricant on the moving surfaces, ie the nut slots, the fulcrum and the saddles; Nut sauce is good if you're rich, I use a Teflon lube that I bought for gunsmithing administered with a Stewmac whip tip superglue applicator!!
I'm bound to say here, too, that on my FT equipped guitar, i have 4 springs on it as well as a Goldo Backbox - that bastard returns to pitch REAL good!!Laughing Laughing 
The FT bars are different to the Bendmaster Deluxe bars, but the BD will do the job; Stewmac, under Tremelo bars, 6mm, imported.

Let us know how you get on, and sing out if you need any more help!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT Empty Re: Need help setting up a Westone DX with bendmaster FT

Post by jimmydime Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks for the reply. I will use your advice on setting the intonation today and due a "little" lubricating.
I was also wondering what the process for restringing is? Do you have to pull the bridge apart or can the strings drop down from the top into the claw?
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 pm

The bridge doesn't have to come to bits; the string balls go into the claws from the top... from memory!! I haven't re-strung my LX for a year so memory is a little hazy! Make sure the strings are seated correctly in the claw before tightening up as it is very easy the seat them incorrectly and snap one of the wee arms off... which is a PITA!
If the strings don't pop in from the top, then the backplate has to come off and the strings fed up through the sustain block...
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmydime Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for the help. Gonna have a go at it later this week when the new pickups arrive.
While doing the intonation I noticed that the ball end of the strings aren't sitting quite right in the claws. I saw a post somewhere on that.... I think. Anyone have any insight on that?
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down