The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unlined fretless

3 posters

Go down

Unlined fretless Empty Unlined fretless

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:24 am

I'm after an unlined fretless four string. I'm not actually restricting myself to a Westone or even a Japanese bass, I want something reasonably cheap that I can have a go with. However, in the sense of 'if you don't ask, you don't get', I'll put this wanted ad out to see if anything turns up.

I'm in Leicester and prefer localish. (I don't drive).

Personally I think I'll end up with a cheap Stagg P/J thing. However, I would definitely pay a bit more than the typical going price for them if the right bass was available.
Annoying Twit

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Unlined fretless Empty Re: Unlined fretless

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 am

If I may suggest something?
Stay way clear of Stagg, I made the mistake of buying one of their "fusion" basses a few years back when in need of a bass real quick for a project, was possibly THE worst instrument I ever saw, never again!

I used to own an old Columbus jazz style fretless which was superb, built like the proverbial outhouse with a good solid neck, and I paid peanuts for it, mind you this was way before people started adding zero's for the Japan stamp.

just my opinion.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the advice. I once played a Stagg fusion bass (fretted) and to be honest quite liked it. I'm aware of the reviews and that they seem to vary considerably, but some people seem happy with them. I was hoping for a local one so that I could have a go first and see if it's one of the better ones, or not.

I could buy a new Harley Benton from Thomann, but that would be in the £120s, and the most recent Thunder fretless to sell on basschat was £130, and in late 2012. So, it would seem that being very, perhaps very very, patient would be the way to go. I don't know if there were many fretless Spectrums, Concords, or other relatively inexpensive Westones made. (I've looked here, but even if it was still available £300 for a fretless Thunder III, is a bit more than I want to spend now).

I'd prefer unlined. If I compromise and go for lined, a Yamaha RBX260F is probably the correct option for me. But, I want to try 'real' fretless - no lines!

It's really frustrating in a way as in the distant past, I did own a Thunder 1 (previous owner converted to active) fretless bass, but gave it away!

Edit: Fretless Spectrum LX here. Quite like the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF9m6O6J6Wk

Fretless Concord mentioned here. Is this a defret? I don't read German. http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?action=gallery&id=4588

I dunno if it's still available, but I've been offered a defretted Peavey bass for £50, which is worth it. But again, I'd prefer unlined and haven't given up yet.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am

Each to their own I guess, there was now way to lower the action on mine, other than to file down the saddles or drop the bridge into the body, tuners were poo, pots wouldn't tighten and the pups were weaker than baby pee, bought it new from GuitarGuitar too...

best of luck with your search!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 am

A Columbus fretless jazz sold here for £90 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLUMBUS-JAZZ-BASS-FRETLESS-/221232194797?nma=true&si=9ANZ3qsK4EH066xoDQByl%252Byfq7g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  No photos though.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 am

That's a good price in todays market
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am

Prices vary a lot, but what would be a typical price for a Spectrum LX fretless?
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 pm

At this point I'll have to let the others step in, buying basses ain't my strong point.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

BTW: About the Stagg you had, did you try shimming the neck? I have a Shine bass that had very high action even with the bridge saddles all the way down and the nut filed. Shimming the neck helped quite a bit. I'm confident that if I need to take the action down any further (which would only happen if I could level the frets). It also has tuners that are loose when the strings aren't under tension, though they seem to hold tune reasonably well).

But I'll point out that I am listening to you. I think I want to have another go on a Stagg (even if fretted) before I buy one of those.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Get ya wallet out you tight a***d Twit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTONE-1986-LX-X695BK-BASS-2-NECKS-ALL-ORIGINAL-BY-MATSUMOKU-OHSC-RARE-/141069872767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d86b6e7f
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Holy Faeces Batman, that's a lot Very Happy
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 pm

That's a lot of Bass guitar
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 am

I still don't have an unlined fretless. Having thought about the advice here, I've gone off a Stagg. Having at least a vague idea what a fretless Thunder 1/1A would go for, I'm hesitant to spend more money on something else. (Fretless Korean Aria available on basschat for £150 posted, or simply go the Thomann Harley Benton route). But 'my' Thunder fretless has not yet come to papa.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down