The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1A bass on UK ebay

+2
bobroberts
norfolkngood
6 posters

Go down

Thunder 1A bass on UK ebay Empty Thunder 1A bass on UK ebay

Post by norfolkngood Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:24 am

Hello all

Was anyone else watching item 29030005692 on UK ebay? A Thunder 1A bass with Westone case, reserve not met at £135-odd. Think it was advertised a few weeks back and again didn't reach reserve price.

The vendor is a guitar shop and I am thinking of contacting them to ask if it's still for sale.

Two questions...

1) Can anyone recommend (or put me off!) this model? Should say that I don't play bass (yet) so I'm in uncharted waters here.

2) I guess the answer will be "whatever you're prepared to pay for it" but can anyone give me an idea of it's value?

Thanks Smile
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1A bass on UK ebay Empty Re: Thunder 1A bass on UK ebay

Post by bobroberts Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 am

hi,
if the bass is anything like the guitar, then it should be fine... more than, even. not really a bass player, either, but if i were after a bass i'd give one a punt! offer them £100! not seen the one on ebay... couldn't find it in completed listings either...

wow! check this out! click

if mine didn't have so much sentimental value....! Smile
bobroberts
bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Norfolk, Smile

I'd take Bobs' advice if I were you and contact the seller, see what he says. I would recommend them wholeheartedly, we had one a while back and they are phenomonal basses. If you can get it for a reasonable enough price, say between about £140 to £175, you won't regret it.

Good luck mate and let us know if you get it.
cheers

Bob, that Thunder IA is way over the top!
affraid I don't think he's got a cat in hells chance of ever selling that at that price! It's been on there for quite a while now and if he thinks he's going to sell it for that much, I want to go and live on his cloud! Laughing

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Mate, he's dreamin'! £429 (about US$585) - for a Thunder is a bit over the the but these days with the increasing popularity of Westone - all of the other 80's Japanese guitars have been well picked over! - I wouldn't be surprised if it sold!

The Thunder basses are extremely well regarded amongst those who know about these things, I think you'll find....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Change of plan (but thanks for your thoughts guys --- and Polly!)

I'd put in a bid on a Spectrum ST bass on UK ebay and thought it would go a bit higher; didn't realise it was mine until I opened my emails. Result! I won't be chasing the Thunder now.

Yes Polly, I will put some photos up later. Won't be for a while, seems I've just blown the camera fund on a bass Shocked
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:49 pm

that white one that went for 52 gpb? good catch i'd say...
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Yep; they're a goodie too!! I recorded with one about 10 years ago and liked it so much I bought a GT version when one came up! Great piece of kit!! And at NZ$142, you did real well...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Yep, that's the one, cream with a black neck.

Paid for it today, waiting for delivery. Starting to feel the need to extend the house to accommodate the guitars!
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 am

Pollyanna wrote:Hi Norfolk, Smile

Bob, that Thunder IA is way over the top!
affraid I don't think he's got a cat in hells chance of ever selling that at that price! It's been on there for quite a while now and if he thinks he's going to sell it for that much, I want to go and live on his cloud! Laughing

Pauline

corsair wrote:Mate, he's dreamin'! £429 (about US$585) - for a
Thunder is a bit over the the but these days with the increasing
popularity of Westone - all of the other 80's Japanese guitars have
been well picked over! - I wouldn't be surprised if it sold!

i kind of thought "hahahaha... good luck getting that!", myself! i still think of thunder 1a's in the 150-175 area, myself...! funny, i paid 150 for mine new, and they've more or less gone for around that sort of price (the one's i've seen, anyway) ever since... i'm waiting for the counterfeit ones to start coming out... like the les paul's you can buy...
bobroberts
bobroberts

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:39 am

I've worked out the secret for making loads of money out of a LesPaululike clone...

advertise it on ebay with "law suit model" in every other sentence and wait for the offers to roll in Twisted Evil
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Agree with the above comments .... there's an Aria PE in the local guitar shop with " made by Matsumuko" on the head stock. All original including the lacquer cracks. Great looking instrument but £1100? Very hopeful.

Looking at the prices that people have paid for their Westones, I must be a complete tight arse. Over the last year and half,I have paid >>>

• Thunder 1a £80
  • Thunder 2 £80
  • Thunder 2a £0 ( A gift )
  • Dimension 4 £100
  • Genesis 2 £60

If anybody has a Rainbow 2 or Prestige 250 in and around the £100 mark .... I'm your man ! Hehe or swap for a PRS copy , a bag of marbles, and some wine gums !
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Ahh; a man after my own heart! Very Happy I do think the offer of wine gums a little over the top and slightly vulgar, though.... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:38 pm

ok...obviously i have a huge disability in finding westones for favourable prices^^
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:05 pm

corsair wrote:... I do think the offer of wine gums a little over the top and slightly vulgar, though.... Laughing

Now if you'd said 'Fruit Pastilles' or 'Jelly Babies', the offers would have been flooding in! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Steve777 wrote:

Looking at the prices that people have paid for their Westones, I must be a complete tight arse. Over the last year and half,I have paid >>>

• Thunder 1a £80
  • Thunder 2 £80
  • Thunder 2a £0 ( A gift )
  • Dimension 4 £100
  • Genesis 2 £60

If anybody has a Rainbow 2 or Prestige 250 in and around the £100 mark .... I'm your man ! Hehe or swap for a PRS copy , a bag of marbles, and some wine gums !

Yup, you're a tight arse! lol...! i'll take one of those 100 quid prestige 250's, though!!!
bobroberts
bobroberts

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Having spent more years than I care to remember in Marketing for major high tech companies in the B2B sector, I'm acutely aware of the hype that exist in the B2C sector when companies market to Joe Bloggs Consumer ! Dont get me started on Pharmaceutical Companies and ethical marketing! or 6 for the price of 5 in the local supermarket! or come to think of it, mobile phone tarrifs.

I could never get over to my Ex that when the optician sends you a reminder for a check up, all he wants to do is to increase your prescription and thus a new pair of specs. What else is he in business for? Or is that the cynic in me?

As for our passion for Westones, I avoid at all costs ebay ads that read ... "Collectable", " Made in the famous Matsumuko Factory", or "Les Paul Beater". Setting up the Les Paul as ultimate guitar is debateable. Oh, the other description that iritates me is when they try to describe the neck! Ho Ho ... "very fast", "slim profile" , "nice C Shape" or "great for shredding". You may thinks so Mate, but I havent got a clue until I play it, so dont waste my time describing your preferences. As I play mostly Blues, does this mean that your Shredding Machine will ultimately dissappoint me?

As for trying to describe the sound a guitar makes, I give up !

The reality is Westones / Vantages / and the others are different, quirky, well built and have their own character that we quite rightly appreciate. What you see is what you get !

I'm off to apply to the TV show " Grumpy Old Men ". For those from overseas, this UK TV programme has famous male personalities discussing their pet hates. Hilarious !
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Mate, you're too young for that show; they're really old crusty buggers, but your point is well taken! However, the prices are only gonna rise as my feeling is that the guitar dweebs have cottoned onto Matsumoku's other brands - Aria have been expensive for a while now! - and are scouring the pawn shops etc. and are foisting off their over-hyped burnished dog turds onto us at huge mark-ups!
My way of getting around it is to be super-selective about the models I want - nothing else interests me unless i'ts dirt cheap - and learning as much as I can about them; knowledge is power!! That said, you can still be blown out the water by dick-head buyers who are buying on spec so it's really a bloody crap-shoot out there!!
You're right though, I haven't paid more than about NZ$200 for any of mine apart from the VA900 which I bought new in 1980... let's see;

Westone Spectrum ST - NZ$ 168.00 (£62)
Westone Spectrum GT - 183.00 (£68) (bought from Newcastle, UK; the shipping was as much again!!)
Westone Spectrum GT Bass - 200.00 (£74)
Westone Genesis II - " "
Westone Clipper CL 4112 - 154.00 (£57)
Westone Clipper CL 4112 - 162.00 (£60)
Electra Phoenix X195 - 0.00 (gift from the US)

...this from memory, and I've just (last night!) spent NZ$241 (£89) on a Vantage Avenger from the US as well, so sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:07 am

ok,now it is clear...something i do terribly wrong
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 am

Hi Silence86 and John, et al

Nope, you are doing nothing wrong Silence, If you want it and can afford it, fair enough. I dont have a problem with the principle of market demand. However, places like ebay, only encourage bidders to get over excited and say " yeh yeh, I've got to have this" and bid and bid until they are bidding over the top of the guitars natural value.

Aria, the company, have been selling off damaged guitars for the past month. Peavey do the same. Both use UK Ebay. I had to laugh the other day when I saw a stripped out Aria STG strat for sale. Just the body and neck. You can buy a good second hand one for £50 or less which is good value considering that they are made of Alder and Maple. However, with 2 days to go, its already £35 ( plus £12 postage). Actually they have another one but complete for the same money. Go figure that one out!

So if the stripped out Aria sells for, lets say, £40 plus postage ( £52), I still have to find and pay for all the hardware/ pickups / and scratch plates plus time and effort when I can buy a brand new one for £79 ???? And its still a strat clone with a resale value of £40 no matter what I do to it !!

John's right, buy as cheaply as possible but weigh up the cost of any repairs and potential future re-sale.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

by the way, there's a nice black fretless thunder 1a on ebay uk...link
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete James Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes.. I think my bid was the highest on this... I emailed the seller immediately it finished and asked him if he wanted to sell. He told me his reserve was £200. I told him that I'd only go to £150 as it not original (changed control knobs). He came back with £175 or he'd keep it. I wished him good day.. He relisted it 2 days later... Item 290302843081.

I think he might have bought it at too high a price and now wants to make as much back as possible... Anyone buying it at that price will do us all a favour by setting a good president.

I think £175 for this in a case is the absolute top price I'd go to... Even then it would have to be in mint condition... I bought a black 1A in a case last year for £101 and a III in a case for £240..

There's another 1A without a case for £225 too... another pricey one...
Pete James
Pete James
Registered Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-03

http://www.rpmrehearsalstudios.mfbiz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down