The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar)

+9
xbarnesx
Westbone
eyebulger
Iceman
corsair
mortarman120gang11c
gittarasaurus
hoax
The Chad
13 posters

Go down

guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) Empty OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar)

Post by The Chad Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am

We're into guitars, but what other interests/collections/hobbies?

I've collected comics, 80's toys (they're worth a lot of $, believe it or not), and am into muscle cars and skating.

So basically I'm a little boy in a grown man's body. Laughing Aren't we all.

What are you guys into?
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) Empty Re: OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar)

Post by hoax Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am

Did classic cars for a while culminating in a Porsche 911, but just wasn't using it, so it went. You can't get a fridge or washing machine in the back, so I'll stick with my VW Passat Estate.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) Empty Re: OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar)

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

small-scale self sufficient agriculture
urban farming and gardening

i spent 3 years doing an unpaid apprenticeship on a tiny research farm in northern california.
so now i like to teach how to do Biointensive farming and gardening. i've been teaching at the elementary school, local community gardens, and a local garden center/education center that is associated with the farm where i worked. all volunteer work, except some classes at the education center.

very enjoyable and gratifying to see the young kids, and adults too, get excited and inspired, to make a difference in their families and communities by growing healthy and safe food. to help them understand the importance of recycling and composting, and to see them learn what they can do through their own efforts, it is a pleasure to be a part of.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Spend a lot of my time working with the local Disabled American Veterans chapter as an officer and volunteer to help all my fellow veterans and I also enjoy my military items and my fishin but I also enjoy my mliltary history as the sacrifices of our veterans should not be forgotten. I am also learning to and enjoying the difficult tasks involved in getting these great instruments back into playing condition again.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm

At one stage, I charged around the NZ bush looking for broken aircraft from years ago which was great fun, but as we settle down here, I have taken my croquet playing more seriously and am endeavouring to lower my handicap into single figures. It's a great game which I started playing 4 years ago in NZ....

I don't hunt anymore as my rifles and guns are still in NZ and I'm going through the process of getting my Queensland firearms ticket.
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Ornithologist, home-brewer, hunter, whiskey collector, cross-country ballroom dancer, student of most anything, tinkerer, oenophile, barbershoppe baritone, ISSF 300 meter 3-position...

...but what I really love is cooking.

...and finding guitars for my wife to play (natch). Rolling Eyes
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by eyebulger Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 am

Science experiments are the go for me.

I now work on turning beer wine and sprites into urine guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) 3478306455
eyebulger
eyebulger

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 am

eyebulger wrote:Science experiments are the go for me.

I now work on turning beer wine and sprites into urine guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) 3478306455

lol!

Think my avatar is self explanatory also a healthy interest in wine and horticulture.
guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) PicturesSAguitars556_zps5740a931
guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) PicturesSAguitars877_zps4cabad70
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 am

nice herb garden!
Drool!
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by xbarnesx Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 am

vinyl, although its slowed down in the last few years and I'm considering a serious thinning of the collection

in fact since the daughter came along 20 months ago, everything's slowed down Very Happy
xbarnesx

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 am

Damian's herb garden killed me! lol!

Cool to hear what everyone's into.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:nice herb garden!
Drool!

That is to say, "Nice garden, Herb!" Cool
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulS Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 am

guitar - OTHER interests/collections/hobbies (besides guitar) 01610

Plants are my main passion, although not the same as Westbone grows (nice specimen, btw - I hope its in your back garden!)

I am a garden designer with a particular interest in 'exotic' garden style - my garden (above) is my hobby, shop window and trial ground. I have also started 'plant hunting' over the last few years, generally in Mexico as cacti and succulent plants are where my interest lies.

I have written these up ( link here ) as illustrated travelogues. A bit plant heavy but nice scenery, local colour etc.
PaulS

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 am

Tonight I'm going to add to my collection of empty wine bottles.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am

Beautiful gardens Damian and Paul. Last summer?

Anyway I have discovered a new hobby, not mine I hasten to add.

I have a guitar on Ebay right now at a buy it now price. I have almost 50 watchers. It is, repeat, a buy it now price. Why are they watching? It is not going to suddenly change into an original '59 Les Paul for a few hundred quid! No, it is going to be exactly the same the next time they look or it won't be there any more. I wonder which option will give them the most pleasure?

So I conclude that there is a new collecting hobby whereby you look at listings on Ebay and then add them to your watch list.

The other new hobby appears to be, submit lowball offers,eventually win the item, and then extract your revenge by trying to blackmail for a partial refund for an item which is as described.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm

hoax wrote:The other new hobby appears to be, submit lowball offers,eventually win the item, and then extract your revenge by trying to blackmail for a partial refund for an item which is as described.Hoax

getting much cash back Graham?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Quite slow but it is coming. One good sale today.

One sale last week when the guy won a buy it now. He then contacted me to say "before I pay can I ask some questions?"

He asks me if he can send a courier - probably so he can save £5 or so. I say no as I can't wait in all day.

I answered the questions and he paid after being reminded. He got the item (I even upgraded postage to 24 hour at no extra cost) and then said that he was sending it back as it wasn't quite what he expected. He did suggest, however, that I might want to "come to some arrangement?"

So I told him to send it back and its back on the Bay again!!

This is a guy, I have since discovered, uses at least 2 Ebay names and regularly buys his own items. I wonder why - Not?

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 pm

hoax wrote:Beautiful gardens Damian and Paul. Last summer?

Anyway I have discovered a new hobby, not mine I hasten to add.

I have a guitar on Ebay right now at a buy it now price. I have almost 50 watchers. It is, repeat, a buy it now price. Why are they watching? It is not going to suddenly change into an original '59 Les Paul for a few hundred quid! No, it is going to be exactly the same the next time they look or it won't be there any more. I wonder which option will give them the most pleasure?

So I conclude that there is a new collecting hobby whereby you look at listings on Ebay and then add them to your watch list.

The other new hobby appears to be, submit lowball offers,eventually win the item, and then extract your revenge by trying to blackmail for a partial refund for an item which is as described.

Hoax

...links or it never happened. Suspect
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Ice

I do not want to do links as I always maintained that I will not use this forum as another route for selling.

Since I have been a member here I have sold maybe 150/200 guitars and I just don't flag them here.

I don't mind doing trades on the forum but I won't break my self imposed advertising on this forum rule.

Don't worry as none are Westones and none are even Matsumoku.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I've watched items with a fixed price while pondering whether to buy or not. Perfectly normal.
Some I havn't bought but forget to delete from the list.

As for the rest of your problem, welcome to ebay world!

Sold a 'Fender' to a Scotsman, clearly stating it had a added decal.
He sent it back saying 'it's not a Fender'. It was a Squier actually.

Anyway it then sold for a lot more.

That's ebay.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm

I regularly watch BIN items while waiting for the outcome of other auctions, I use the Watch Item as a bookmark.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Westbone wrote:I've watched items with a fixed price while pondering whether to buy or not. Perfectly normal.
Some I havn't bought but forget to delete from the list.

As for the rest of your problem, welcome to ebay world!

Sold a 'Fender' to a Scotsman, clearly stating it had a added decal.
He sent it back saying 'it's not a Fender'. It was a Squier actually.

Anyway it then sold for a lot more.

That's ebay.

You are absolutely right of course Damian but it does give me the opportunity of a good old moan. I mean 50 watchers and no biters? Even if they made contact for a bit of a haggle, then I could cut Ebay out of the loop!!

Hoax bounce
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:16 pm

hoax wrote:Ice

I do not want to do links as I always maintained that I will not use this forum as another route for selling.

Since I have been a member here I have sold maybe 150/200 guitars and I just don't flag them here.

I don't mind doing trades on the forum but I won't break my self imposed advertising on this forum rule.

Don't worry as none are Westones and none are even Matsumoku.

Hoax

You could share your seller name with us as that would not be violating your self-imposed rule.

I, for one, would be quite keen to check out these "other" guitars.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Good photos Paul'S and interesting.

A lot of those plants look similar to succulents in parts of South Africa.

One tree that amazes me is the monkey puzzle.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Taken down - bad me

Last edited by westcoaster on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : At Request)
westcoaster
westcoaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 pm

If you want to make contact and rid of ebay, post a contact phone number

Just get a cheap old mobile and use for ebay only.
If it rings it's ebay!
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm

I could but I won't Ice.

I won't sell a guitar unless I make a profit. I regard forum members as friends. I will not profit from friendships.

Plus, I do not particularly want people to pore over what essentially is my private business, even though it is on an international public site.

Anally retentive and old fashioned, I know, but that is just me.

Hoax cheers
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 pm

You already have!
Posting a Tele, aluminum topped thing.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 pm

hoax wrote:
I won't sell a guitar unless I make a profit. I regard forum members as friends. I will not profit from friendships.

You are hereby expelled from the 'capitalist money grabbing screw your friends - they've got money' club.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Westbone wrote:You already have!
Posting a Tele, aluminum topped thing.

That was for opinions not in any attempt to sell. I knew that forum members would have as much interest in buying it as I would have!

Not that I have any problems with anyone else flagging up a sale apart from the one blatant new member who fancied himself as a bit of a pub singer!!

Hoax Smile
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 pm

No, no your missing the point.
Putting it up on here and then Ebay,, 2+2=?

As for the pub singer, still trying to sell those.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Westbone wrote:No, no your missing the point.
Putting it up on here and then Ebay,, 2+2=?

As for the pub singer, still trying to sell those.

Got your point Damian, but I would doubt if any members noses would be bothering that much that they would stoop to trawl through posts that are around a year old just to find my user name!!

Christ - If someone wants know that badly then they can PM if they want and I'll tell them when I last farted as well!!

Hoax Laughing
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:26 pm

yeah, not a good thing to say too much on the internet eh!

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Used to wind surf see pic, Im on the left. Snooker play in a league but never practice, motor cycling.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 pm

grogg wrote:Used to wind surf see pic, Im on the left. Snooker play in a league but never practice, motor cycling.

Yeah, I thought that dude on the left looked like you... Suspect

Roll on Floor Laff
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down