The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart

+5
corsair
Sgt. Vimes
gittarasaurus
IanO
Brainfertilizer
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart - Page 2 Empty Re: Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm

i'll see what i can doodle out of it...

i've been trying to figure some different uses for the Freeway switch than what they have drawn up, so this is a good trial run.

i think you will be pleased with the action on the freeway switch. the contacts for soldering are a bit delicate, but the switch bat feels solid, and the positions notch in place well.

i actually have one on hand for a project guitar i occasionally work on. it is nowhere near needing the switch installed, so if you want to handle one and see if you think it feels good enough to use on your guitar, a couple bucks shipping each way is much less than the purchase price($21 +shipping) of a switch you don't want to use.

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart - Page 2 Empty Re: Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm

No need, but thanks for the offer.

Aside from the fact that your description gives me confidence it will work, the switch fits what I want to do so well, I would make it work even if it did have problems notching in place.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

it seems like the freeway switch is not really compatible with the series/parallel/single setup.

so thinking about the combinations you listed, in combination with how i would use a guitar with those options, i came up with this setup:

3-way switch for neck and bridge pups
volume knob, tone knob
below the 2 knobs, 2 mini's
under vol knob is the mini for middle pup on/off
under tone knob is the humbucker selector - series/parallel/single

you could use a third mini switch for bypass, but i think it may start to look like too many switches. since you mentioned you don't use the tone control much, you could put a push/pull on the tone knob for volume/tone bypass. that way you won't disturb the set volume level when you switch to bypass and back. i would have the bypass at the push in position and knob control on the pull out position. that way, to get the boost for a solo, you just pop the knob down real quick, and play. the pull out to return to volume control maybe wouldn't need to be so speedy.

to me this provides a fairly easy setup to use.
* you can visually discern the pickup settings,
* you can get all the different choices,
* you isolate each function to an individual switch as opposed to stacking a complex arrangement into a single control mechanism

>in this setup, the primary pickup control is the 3-way
>then you have a mini to add the middle to the 3-way setting.
>you can change the humbucker setting without affecting any other pickup setting

i think this setup makes changing the tone of the output a smooth and predictable progression, because you change only one parameter with each motion. you can arrange the controls so the functions are fairly obvious and easy to manage.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 pm

That sounds perfect.

Thanks!
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:38 pm

see if this drawing makes any sense. this is the most simplified schematic i could make.
it seems pretty cool, 14 pickup settings, plus V/T bypass...
the only pickup selection you don't get is middle only
Request for Wiring Intent Discussion and Wiring Chart - Page 2 Ry%3D400
i can send you a pdf to print if you want it.
the actual wiring and connection points may look a little different (soldering multiple wires to a mini switch tab is not easy, it may not be convenient to route the pickup wires directly to the 3-way switch, etc.) sort of depends on the location of the components.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 am

Wow, that looks cool, and I do actually understand it.

Since I can't seem to enlarge it, it would be useful if you could send a .pdf to deathtoallspammers@yahoo.com (not my actual email address)

...Maybe this will catch on. It can be known as the Alexander configuration, or the brainfertilizer setup.
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Brain,

Whilst browsing you tube, I found this about the Framus Panthera. The electronics sound like that which you lust after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOR1lNLvsE

Ian
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 pm

That is pretty cool.

No series/parallel, but then I don't have the blend volume in what I want.

Still, it is clear that the common configurations don't always make the best use of the possible sounds, huh?

I think the Westone H/S/H (on the Dynasty, Dimension IV, and Spectrum LX) switching is about the most flexible with the simplest controls, for the most usable sounds.

That's where I got the idea for a middle single coil on/off switch.

I would have made it a push/pull knob except for the excellent suggestion that min-switches are easier to see when gigging.
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 pm

I must confess that the framus desig seems very illogically laid out....would like the direct switch where the master vol is and the master vol nearest the Pups with the blend vol between the vol and tone. Couldn't deal with both switches so close together! But hey if they were giving it away...........
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2