The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrums x198 vs x185?

5 posters

Go down

Poll Spectrums x198 vs x185?

Post by indytone Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 am

Hello!

I am looking to pick up a Westone/Electra Spectrum model at some point and am in the research phase. I'm wondering what the differences are between the x185 and x198 aside from the body shapes and the string locks (x198). Both seem to have the same pick ups and configuration, scale, wood, etc... Is there really a difference aside from the aforementioned body shapes and string locks?

I assume each has the same style neck, so play ability shouldn't be different. What is drawing me toward these guitars is 1) versatility in tones 2) I know they are built very well.

Any help would be... helpful. study
indytone
indytone
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-02-27

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Spectrums x198 vs x185?

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 pm

i don't see many spectrum GT's (x185) come up for sale, but the spectrum LX (x198) seems to be readily available. lots of variations of price due to condition, and missing or replaced parts. most of what is residing on ebay right now seems a bit overpriced. others seem to agree, which is why they are for sale for so long with no buyers. affordable ones come up and get sold. just watch and wait for one you like. or you might find one around here if you poke around a bit.

electra versions are not hard to find either. there are some slight differences in the control setup between electra and westone models. bodies and necks are pretty much identical.

you are right about the versatility of these guitars. i don't think there is another guitar anywhere that can compare to all the tones available from a Spectrum.

gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 pm

You might find the frets to be larger on the Westone. Some of those Westone/Electra's used small frets.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Spectrums (and Electras) rule! Spectrums x198 vs x185? 979471947

But it is a bit confusing to sort the models out. The basic guitar is virtually the same from model to model, so they all feel and play in a familiar way.

What you need to decide is if you want a straight humbucker sound, more single coil sound, or a combination of each. From there, do you want a tremolo or fixed bridge for your playing style? If yes to a Trem, depending on how aggressive you are, do you need string locks?

With very few exceptions, they all have a coil cut so that's a given. Then you decide if you want or need phase reverse.

Oh, then there's colour choice, solid, burst or trans finish...set neck or bolt on...

See? Simple. Spectrums x198 vs x185? 1247806006

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

While Mike is correct in not seeing Spectrum GT's for sale often you do see the grandparent to that particular model very often in an Electra Phoenix x185.

The other bonus there is that they can be found right around $200 or less most of the time. On occasion you can find the father of the GT as well in an Electra Phoenix x189, which is identical to a GT since it has a 2 post tremolo rather than a 6-screw TekGlide trem found on an x185.

Making sense yet?? Laughing
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by indytone Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am

You all may be surprised, but this does clear up a lot on my end. As long as I get the flexibility in sound and good neck of the Spectrum, it's not going to matter to me what I get as long as it has the HSH pup set up.

So, in a flood of details, a focus has taken shape!
indytone
indytone
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

You know what, you can't get a better guitar for the price. Period. Versatility, feels, construction, it's all there and more with these. They're WAY to inexpensive for what they are.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down