The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Participate in thesis?

+2
Westbone
corsair
6 posters

Go down

Participate in thesis? Empty Participate in thesis?

Post by corsair Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Now, listen up, chumps.... Laughing .... One of our members would like to pick everyone's brains to help him with his higher education. Here's his note to me....

I'm currently doing research for my masters at the university of glasgow and my survey involves guitar brands so I need to find guitarists to fill it out. The survey is online so would it be alright if I make a thread and post the survey link on this forum? Or pm the survey link to members individually? Such forums seem to be the best place to find many guitarists but I don't want to post it without permission. This is a purely academic study and I have the ethical approval to conduct it. I would be a great help if I'm allowed to do it but of course if you feel its not right I won't do it then.

Here's the link to the survey if you want to take a look: http://alturl.com/mpnfh

I don't see any reason why not, but this is your forum and you all may feel differently so speak now, or forever hold your peace.....

Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Participate in thesis? Empty Re: Participate in thesis?

Post by Westbone Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Nah, that's just market research.

The kind of folks you try to avoid on the High Street.

Not for me.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RehanMahmood Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for posting this Corsair. I know filling out surveys isn't the most fun activity but its a part of the degree and I have to do it. I chose guitars because its a product I'm passionate about and know that many others would feel the same.
RehanMahmood
RehanMahmood
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Have you tried hanging around guitar shops and asking these questions?

You know the 'grass roots'.

Good luck with the degree though.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by RehanMahmood Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I'll do that if I don't get enough responses from the online method although I'd prefer getting it done online. And yes I agree it is a form of market research but this is just for academic purposes and to expand on literature in this field. The findings wont be given to businesses.
RehanMahmood
RehanMahmood
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:58 am

Filled it in for you. I remember my masters thesis, the bigger part was gathering the info, it all flowed from there.

Good luck and good work!
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

Rehan, I don't mind but I agree with westbone! Is this what they teach you to do at the College of Social Sciences these days? If you change the subject in the survey from guitar brand to Olympic sport, outcomes would predict what we already know anyway. Beachvolleyball and horsebackriding are fun! A real athletic sport like squash with a long history, breathtaking to watch, doesn't qualify. As a quite a few other athletic sports don't, by popular demand! Sponsors don't matter of course. And sports and politics don't mix. Market research. Money makes the world go round.

BTW the Westone brand was sold on many times! It's just that at a particular timeframe many outstanding guitars were produced in Japan in many different factories. Matsumoku didn't survive for economic, political and maybe management reasons. They were a branch of a bigger concern with stakeholders demanding better profits causing it to close down when crisis got a hold of the Japanese economy!

I don't like guitars for the brandname on it, in fact there's quite a few Westones I personally don't like at all! The history of the factory and what they were producing is interesting and sheer for fun I try to learn new things about it to get a better picture and it's often confusing but it entertains me. This branding survey has nothing to do with what brought us here together at all. Like a cafe we come here to share a passion for guitars because we recognise the quality of certain Japanese produced guitars and others for we love 'm, take 'm apart, bring 'm back to life and such. Still not one guitar is the same, think exemplary. Period. I can't help it. I can't fill out that form. Do I drink Pepsi because I appreciate Michael Jackson's work? No
You are still young, enjoy playing your guitar and drink whatever.
After your masters I hope you will be able to find a job and an affordable home.
Westone Branding needs producing skills not literature...
I expect little of it. Wish you good luck. No pun intended!

jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:27 pm

OK, I've filled in the guitar bit, too; can't help with the soft drinks as we as a family don't partake of them.

I felt some of the questions are not relevant, though, as Matsumoku closed its doors years ago, thus brand loyalty etc. in the usual sense is not valid....

Anyway, happy to help....
corsair

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RehanMahmood Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 pm

no problem about the soft drinks part. and i agree about the loyalty part as regards to brands that are no longer in the market. thanks for filling it out. really appreciate the help
RehanMahmood
RehanMahmood
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RehanMahmood Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 pm

but loyalty in such a case could still manifest itself in the form of over possessive-ness, refusal to sell the item or searching for a used one if the person wants to buy another one. Coming to a forum to participate would also actually form a part of loyalty Smile
RehanMahmood
RehanMahmood
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RehanMahmood Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm

and I couldn't change or remove the questions since I'm expanding on previous research and using the questionnaire developed by that researcher so I have to use the same thing so I can compare my findings to the last one
RehanMahmood
RehanMahmood
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 am

Because it was very careful of you to ask permission first. As I said, I don't care. But I don't wanna be in your way. I filled out your form.
Now you got me feeling slightly like a loyal anarchist. afro
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

I'm a good boy, I did it. Fairly strong attachment to guitar brand, barely any to my favorite soft drink.

Great idea. The guitar is an outlet for creativity, and extension of self for a lot of us. Soft drinks are in a whole other field.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Mahmood, You've asked at lot of questions in your thesis.

How come you haven't answered any of the questions on your Thunder IIA in the 'members' westone section?????

Just an observation.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum