The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Hardware restoration

3 posters

Go down

Black Hardware restoration Empty Black Hardware restoration

Post by Spectreman Mon May 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey there,

I have a Spectrum LX that I have had since about 1986 and the black hardware - trem, tuner heads, string lock - are all worn and pitted. I have managed to get the rust off but they are still pitted and look kinda crappy. How does one get the solid black look back? Do they have to be replated?

Im putting everything back together and setting it up because I am really excited to play it again (its been sitting in the case for like the last 7 years). Any advice to getting it back looking sharp and black would be appreciated.

Ryan
Spectreman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-21

Back to top Go down

Black Hardware restoration Empty Pitted black hardware

Post by thegig10 Mon May 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Unfortunately the only way I know to remove the pits is to resurface the hardware to whatever depth the pitting goes. Then to make it consistently black again is the problem. Painting yourself may look fine at first but will most likely not last long before it looks worse than before you painted and create a mess. Re-plating or replacing is your best bet in my opinion if you want it to look like I'm assuming you do. Crying or Very sad
thegig10
thegig10
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-05-18

https://www.facebook.com/DavidGregsonGIG10

Back to top Go down

Black Hardware restoration Empty Re: Black Hardware restoration

Post by corsair Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Yep... re-plating to recapture the deep blackness of the hardware. Even getting the body to shine without swirls and hazing is a PITA; blacks a horrid colour!! I've got a black LX as well... Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Black Hardware restoration Empty Re: Black Hardware restoration

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down