The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does a painted Westone have laminated centre

4 posters

Go down

Does a painted Westone have laminated centre Empty Does a painted Westone have laminated centre

Post by devokewater Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi
I'm new here so partly introducing myself and having fallen in love with these old guitars, I have decided to jump in and get one.
I really like the wood laminated finish but have seen a coloured one which, I think, may not be an original colour.
The question is, do all Westones have that amazing lamination up the middle, painted or not, or would a coloured one lack this. I am quite happy to strip it down and would then take the body back to wood and apply a finish like some of those I have seen. It's a Thunder 1 1982 as far as I can tell.
Many thanks in advance.
P
devokewater
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-17

Back to top Go down

Does a painted Westone have laminated centre Empty Re: Does a painted Westone have laminated centre

Post by Iceman Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Welcome to you. Check out the Thunder section of the archives here and let us know if you see yours...

http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/thunder/

You picked a heckuva nice model to get your feet wet with. Looking forward to some pics of it in the future.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Does a painted Westone have laminated centre Empty Re: Does a painted Westone have laminated centre

Post by devokewater Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 am

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply.
It's certainly the model with one switch instead of 3 by the knobs so it could be the dark one of the 1 series.
If it is and I stripped the paint off, am I likely to find the laminated central piece or would the coloured on just be from a solid piece of wood, do you think?
A bit like exposing an old fireplace and either finding a spledid hidden inglenook - or nothing special!
You guys have really got me into this, I've just seen a thunder 1 bass (with a strange configuration for the machine heads) in the next town so - well I better have that as well. I can see how this thing get's a bit addictave.

It's not a good front shot but all I have.
It looks dark blue but possibly black from the back.

Does a painted Westone have laminated centre Weston12
devokewater
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 am

Yeah I've seen that on ebay. looks like a late 1981 / early '82 Thunder so it will be laminated under that dodgy home paint job for sure, like the one in my Avatar>>>>>>>>>>>>
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm

+1 especially as you can make out the walnut/maple stripes on the rear photo
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by devokewater Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 pm

yea, i'm beginning to see that.
devokewater
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down