The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?!

+2
Warrn
Sgt. Vimes
6 posters

Go down

Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?! Empty Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?!

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 am

Hello you canny lot.

My Thunder 1-T is showing the joins of the laminate pieces under the paintwork slightly, is this common?
the guitar had very slight rust on the bridge and pole pieces, also on the case's clasps which leads me to think while it was in loft storage for 17 years, it might have been damp, could this be the cause of the problem do you think?
I have tried to get a decent photo of the joins but I'm finding it hard to get them to show on the pics, I guess I'll have to wait for a dry sunny day to get it outside (in Tyneside thats a rarity even in summer!) for clearer photos. Neutral
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?! Empty Re: Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?!

Post by Warrn Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Pretty sure that's a common thing, I can see the joins of my Dimension bass in the finish if I look really closely and as far as I can tell the instrument was in its case in an air conditioned space for most of its life.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?! Empty Re: Thunder 1-T laminate showing under paint?!

Post by grogg Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Storing guitars in lofts isnt good because of big temperature fluctuations, could be the cause, could be one of those things.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Its not a problem really, just wondered. I can feel the joins too(I spend so much time carressing it!) ever so slightly, but enough to make me wonder what it will look like stripped drunken
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 pm

I can see the joins on my '84 Spectrum when it's in a certain light, but I can see no joins in my '85 Thunder 1A Bass....both guitars have the same solid black finish.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 am

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Its not a problem really, just wondered. I can feel the joins too(I spend so much time carressing it!) ever so slightly, but enough to make me wonder what it will look like stripped drunken

If you just keep carressing it, it'll sand it down smooth again and job done. Laughing
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 am

I've seen up to 7 laminates on Mats guitars.
The majority of Korean ones have multiple bits glued together with a veneer over front and back. Evil or Very Mad
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

This one has 7 pieces, though it is mij in 83 according to the serial number: 3091340
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Yours is made in Japan.

Just mentioning the Korean one's.

Might have a 'wooden' IA for you soon. Let you know. Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Westbone wrote:

bounce
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:
Westbone wrote:

bounce

My mistake a Thunder I natural,

Send you a PM
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down