The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gallery section?

3 posters

Go down

Gallery section? Empty Gallery section?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 pm

So I recently joined the PRS forums as I am also quite a big PRS fan and was thinking whats good about this forum vs. that one. Overall I like the categories here better than there - they may have a few too many, but one thing I liked was they have a Gallery section.

I know we all love posting and looking at our guitars, but is it possible to add a Gallery section to this forum? How cool would it to be to click one link and see all the members Concords, or 350MA's..etc in one spot?

Just a thought. I assume there is some hosting/managing concerns, but I would love to see all the guitars by model, or even by user.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gallery section? Empty Re: Gallery section?

Post by Barry Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice idea Sarc, and one which we (mostly Corsair and I) kicked around when westoneguitars.net was born of the ashes of David Blair's old westone.info site. I can't speak to adding a gallery into these forums but a gallery may yet become a reality on the web site. The first priority there was/is getting the reference information up and current, including adding to the original info with member's latest treasures.

I had a quick look at the PRS forum but I could not gain access to the gallery section without membership so I can't comment on what exactly they're doing and how they might be doing it. A member-managed gallery would be great, but John or Neil would have to chime in on what could be done here.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8703
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 am

I think the idea has some merit, actually, though as Barry says, how it could be set up and managed is the $64,000 question. You're talking about a gallery of members guitars, here, right? We'd probably have to limit the physical size of the pictures - would that be right, Barry? - and also the number of each guitar would possibly have to be limited as well?

Let's have a cyber discussion on this, fellas, bearing in mind that Barry's as busy as a one armed paperhangar, and my life of leisure may be about to end!! Sad Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 am

corsair wrote: bearing in mind that Barry's as busy as a one armed paperhangar Laughing

If I was a paperhanger, I actually would be a one armed paperhanger. Stupid cast...

Anyway, what format would we be talking about in terms of a gallery?
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I can see size being an issue so too much space isn't taken up. The PRS site only has about 60 images in the Gallery ( suprising low IMO) but each can be commented on, rated, and sorted by most viewed, highest rated etc. Just thought an "all in one place" picture area would be cool, but I look at most threads posted so I see most of all yer guitars anyway Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Busy I am at the mo so can't really spend a lot of time on a new project.
But my earlier thoughts revolved around possibly developing a section of westoneguitars.net as a gallery of sorts, the idea being you'd be able to link from the information pages to see the member's collections, i.e., lots of examples of what has just been described.

That said it then becomes an issue of how to maintain it. If it's formatted as a 'blog' then it could be member driven, however, consistency could suffer, and it could quickly become another forum with running comments which I don't think we need. It also would require registration, password protection, etc. and frankly I don't need the admin headaches or potentially open the site to spambots and hackers...it's fairly well locked down now.

The flip side is that it becomes a one man show (moi!) which I don't mean it to be either. It ain't my site after all, it's yours! And while I enjoy tinkering with the site and it was a challenge to get it up and running, I don't really wish to be married to it either.

I have been adding member's guitars to the info pages for the past little while. I don't know if that's the best way to go or not but it seems to work. We have everything in one place which is convenient. It can make the page rather image heavy however which can cause headaches for those on slow connections or less than beefy computers. But it would be easy enough to split those images off to a "gallery related" page.

I dunno, going 'round in ever diminishing circles...in danger of disappearing up me own rectal orifice! geek

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8703
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down