The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting out...

+7
Westbone
jorg
Barry
DuoFuzz
bowenjaybee
Dragondreams
corsair
11 posters

Go down

Starting out... Empty Starting out...

Post by corsair Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:43 am

Just as a general thought, if someone was considering getting into Westone guitars and didn't already have a line into something, what model would you bods suggest to start with, and why?

My call would be a Spectrum of some kind, an ST perhaps, because they're still quite common and still reasonably affordable as well as being a very good gigging guitar. Thunders are creeping up in price, although the last few on eBay didn't do so well and most of the others appear irregularly on the auction sites.

So; what say you, folks??

Actually, if I was talking to a Yank or Canuck, I'd suggest an Electra Phoenix for the same reasons expounded already, and because the Phoenixes are even cheaper than the Spectrums as a rule with an even wider array of configurations!!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Starting out... Empty Re: Starting out...

Post by Dragondreams Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:00 am

I don't really have much experience of a lot of the Westone range other than my Super Headless bass and my cherished Spectrum DX.

But based on my experience of guitars and beginners, I'd try to recommend a Spectrum of some sort. They're a really solid all-rounder that punch well above their weight in terms of cost against quality.

Trouble is with an awful lot of "younger" starters-out is that they get the hero-goggle syndrome. Persuading someone not to buy a poor-quality Strat/Les Paul/Pointy Metal Thing copy - when they could have a REAL guitar - is the biggest hurdle I've come across... Wink

Last edited by Dragondreams on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tripe-o)
Dragondreams
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-03-13

https://hudsonics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 am

A Spectrum for sure, my 1984 Spectrum II is my No 1 guitar it’s sooo nice to play. I've never played a later 85-86 version (ST, LX etc) but from what I've seen on here apart from the shape they look the same quality as the ’84.... So to a newbie I’d recommend the more common Spectrum ST.... some of the higher Spectrum models tremolos look a bit scary

As for bass players a Thunder 1A without a doubt, a perfect all rounder, cool looks and nice range of sounds from the active circuit....My personal favourite been the 84-85 bird logo version in black.

So a Spectrum ST and a Thunder 1A bass, 2 great guitars for around £200 or even less for the pair.. what more could anyone want!

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:00 am

How about a Thunder Jet, these always seem to go for less than the Thunder I model. In the UK they usually fetch around £80 where as T1's regularly hit £150 or more!

I suppose the only downside of this model is that have to like satin black! Twisted Evil

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 am

I hate to sound like a "me too" type, but...

You simply cannot go far wrong with almost any Spectrum. But for a "beginner" yes, the ST is a great choice.
The fit, finish and the necks on these guitars are outstanding. And like the Timex watch ads of old, "they take a licking and keep on ticking"! They are also relatively light weight and comfortable to use on stage, one of the things that drew me to buying my first one. But when it comes to the model GT, all 'light weight' comments are null and void!

The Thunder line offers more sound versatility, but as already mentioned, perhaps at more of a premium these days, and of course there is a significant weight increase to deal with.

The only caveat with Spectrum is the UBC pups. Early "bad" versions can, and have, disappointed some with their anemic output and have caused them to abandon an otherwise great guitar.

Concord is also a good choice for wanna be Strat players. Many of the Spectrum comments apply to it too. The only difficulty is limited availability.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8702
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 am

Great topic John, you read my mind.
I've never owned a Westone but there are a few I like.
I really want a Matsumoku 5 string bass and made a few attempts at a Pantera.
As far as guitars, I like them simple. Flash and frills aren't my cup of tea, suggestions?
jorg
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, good topic.

Scale? Personally I have trouble with a 25 1/2". even thought I own a few strats.(no spectrums as yet)
Therefor, starting out I would go for a smaller scale. Concord I 24", Session II 24 1/2", Prestige 24 3/4"
Concord I Bass 32 1/4".
It's hard enough learning to play(especially with young hands) let alone stretching your fingers down a 251/2 " scale. That's my experience and at the time I didn't even know what a scale was.
Most manufactures all had a student model. For that reason, I believe.
Jesus, when I first tried to learn, seriously, all we had were Black Diamond(cheese wire) strings. Out in the African bundu and my mates parents old valve radio, an acoustic with a plonk on pickup Sad It's no bloody wonder they told us to be quite), must of sounded terrible. To us it sounded fantastic.
These days, spoilt for choice.
A Westone Concord I(not to expensive) or Concord I Bass or a Thunder would seem a good starter guitar. :idea:
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:09 pm

jorg wrote:As far as guitars, I like them simple. Flash and frills aren't my cup of tea, suggestions?

Spectrum ST, or the X125 that's on eBay atm... good guitars!!

As for a bass, the only bass I ever enjoyed playing was a band-mates ST Bass... so I bought a GT Bass, but you can't go far wrong with a Spectrum!!! Or a Phoenix... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm

I grew up playing fenders and therefore, have trouble with 24 3/4 scale guitars. I'm getting better as my main 2 are 24 3/4 AP2s. Very Happy

I currently have a Hamer Cruise 5 string and a G&L Lynx 4 string for basses.

That 125 is a little TOO simple. I'm looking for 2 humbuckers, single V and T if possible and a hard tail.
jorg
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I learnt to play bass on a Thunder and never played anything else...I didn't have a clue about different scale basses it just happened that the Thunder was what I stumbled across at the time

at the age of 18 I was 6ft tall and very skinny with long arms & long fingers a perfect long scale bass playing body, I don't like small scale guitars...I did find the transition to 6 string a bit of a struggle it felt wrong I was all hunched over and kept hitting the wrong strings.

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:35 pm

For guitarists, a Spectrum or (in the US/Canada) an Electra Phoenix. For bassists, a Spectrum (the Electras tend to be pricier for bassists it seems). No particular models need to be named, just anything in the appropriate price range. My Spectrum GT bass set me back a whopping $50 and prompted so many more purchases...
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi folks,

I was 1st addicted by CONCORD II, but what definitely took me in was a SPECTRUM ST in red.
The make, the handling, the feel, the sound...
Then a Spectrum SX and MX followed.

But then I found the holy grail (for me at least), it's my SPECTRUM LX in black. I would say, that's the best WESTONE ever made.

So if a ST or a LX appears, count your money and go for it.

BR

H
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Warrn wrote:For guitarists, a Spectrum or (in the US/Canada) an Electra Phoenix....
I can stand to be corrected but I don't think I've seen Electra around here at all. I think these may have been a US only distribution. How about you Frenchy?

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 pm

If someone is thinking of starting out on guitar, I wouldn't advise them to buy any guitar until i knew what sort of music they wanted to play.

If that someone wants to start collecting Westones - go for the high end models now, before they get too rare and expensive.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Thorn wrote:I wouldn't advise them to buy any guitar until i knew what sort of music they wanted to play.
Indeed. No use in a blues man buying a shredder. . .
jorg
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Never seen an Electra in my life here in my part of Canada... US only....

I would say that the Thunder line would be the best in both bass and guitar.. versatile in all manners...
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 pm

I say US/Canada because shipment from the US to Canada is reasonable. You aren't likely to find one locally in Canada, but since shipping is maybe $5 extra, an Electra would be just as reasonably priced.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

since shipping is maybe $5 extra

How I wish that was true!.... I wont get in details but have had several bad experience with unexpected charges... I only buy in Canada unless I really, really, really want it and then some... Also, to start playing, a young one you be better to buy local to save on extra costs...
Frenchy
Frenchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Warrn wrote:...since shipping is maybe $5 extra, an Electra would be just as reasonably priced.
Bwah hah hah hah!! Ho ho ho and tee hee hee...oh mercy, that was a good one! lol!

Not to mention the exchange rate, duty, brokerage fee, and the Goods and Services Tax! Razz
Do pull the other one!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Well, I've never gotten a guitar from Canada, so I wouldn't know about the hidden import fees. I just know that the shipping itself isn't much more expensive unless the seller is lying to you. Sorry for not knowing all the details.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Thorn wrote:If someone is thinking of starting out on guitar, I wouldn't advise them to buy any guitar until i knew what sort of music they wanted to play.

If that someone wants to start collecting Westones - go for the high end models now, before they get too rare and expensive.

We're assuming for the purposes of discussion that we do know what style they want to/are able to play and that they have come to you for advice on buying a guitar like yours!! .... and while I agree to a point about the high end models, they already seem a little rare and expensive to this kiwi!!! Laughing

You think shipping to and from Canada's tricky; try importing into NZ.... Shocked
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 am

Well, I've never gotten a guitar from Canada, so I wouldn't know about the hidden import fees.

No worries... most dont... you are lucky since the U.S. is so big you can buy within with no need to go outside... Florida has a larger population to Canada.... Compare the size of both on a map.. Laughing

I just know that the shipping itself isn't much more expensive unless the seller is lying to you.

The sellers also cash in on shipping.... I agree, the charge is not that much more. Please explain the 85 to 150 that they put in the add for shipping....

Also, I always ask for the seller to put used goods or gift on the parcel, this can sometimes save me 150.00$ in extra charges but none of them do it.... Hell I even had one person throw a pussy fit just by asking this and he canceled my entire order and put in a refund request to paypall... It took me months to get my money back.... Shocked

I like it simple... I want it, I buy it. so I buy localy....

To get back on topic, my best deals have all been local purchases. Someone starting out would not have a huge amount of money unless he is a spoiled kid that the parents will spent stupid amounts (these will purchase from the store) With all the different sites now for used goods, one can find pretty much all kinds of goodies... hell I have to avoid looking at those sites for major GAS affliction...

Some one will point out the fact that if you want something that was not available in your area you will have to go the Ebay route! Agreed, but that is a small percentage and extra cost are involved.

Just my 2cents!

P. 🐘
Frenchy
Frenchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:25 am

Warrn wrote:Well, I've never gotten a guitar from Canada, so I wouldn't know about the hidden import fees. I just know that the shipping itself isn't much more expensive unless the seller is lying to you. Sorry for not knowing all the details.
Here's a current example (which actually isn't too bad compared to most). The seller of the X125 Spectrum listed in our "For Sale" section wants USD$35 for US delivery but USD$50 to ship across the border!

This guitar is in Griffith, Indianna, near Gary, and just east of Chicago. In other words at the bottom of Lake Michigan. Toronto is on the shores of another Great Lake, Ontario, due east of there. Buffalo is practically 'across the street' from me.

Now, you tell me: how can you ship all over the States, even to the West coast, for $35 but in a virtual straight line to the Greater Toronto Area, 741 km away, it costs more? This example is not too extreme but I suspect too many of the sellers are making inflated quotes for shipping and handling in an effort to make more money. I regularly see ~$60 shipping domestically and double that and more to Canada. And it's not just guitar sales, it's just about everything on eBay. A very bad trend, and why Frenchy and I tend to buy locally now whenever possible.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Makes me wonder what carrier they're shipping through as well. UPS and Fedex tend to have more expensive shipping while USPS is generally more reasonable. Ah well, as you guys pointed out there are the hidden fees anyway. Sad too, since Electras are nice as well.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

This one is USPS and yes, that's usually not too bad, but it's still higher!
UPS has good service but charges higher shipping rates and has terrible brokerage fees; $50 on the Ovation I got from Florida!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Back to the question....

I know they are like hen's teeth, but the x70 is a solid guitar. Easy to play, too.

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:00 pm

corsair wrote:
Thorn wrote:If someone is thinking of starting out on guitar, I wouldn't advise them to buy any guitar until i knew what sort of music they wanted to play.

We're assuming for the purposes of discussion that we do know what style they want to/are able to play and that they have come to you for advice on buying a guitar like yours!!

Nope, you might be assuming that, don't think anyone else has since no-ones said anything about particular styles/types of music. Seems more of a list of 'I like this model' or 'these ones are cheap' - as you said in your first post, you'd recommend the Spectrum ST as common and affordable.
I couldn't make that assumption anyway, tastes too eclectic... and too many guitars for anyone to say I want one like yours...but if I had to pick guitars for different styles...

Hard rock - almost any Thunder
Hard Rock with dive bombing - Spectrum FX
Blues - unknown model 8
Pink Floyd - Concord III
Jazz - Session II
Anything at all - 84 Spectrum III, modded so the neck and bridge pickups can be on together.

Basses -
For just about anything, Thunder II (Passive) or Concord II (Two pickup version), or Super Headless X910. If you want really floor shaking dub bass, go for the Super Headless.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down