The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say hello...

+323
ZeroTheHero
kster68
Goldengirl
Westtwo
bjjool
Jarek
t4lturner
WestonesAndWashburns
aholt68
MaxFubar
reperon
Rrr1
jorge bass
BQmusic
deanodley
Lubalin
eggore
thunduak-1
ito18
Heliwr
Bucky Toothface
Red Lum
RedCrowBleeding
Rob Gnarly
PhilB
dsmcl77
prestigenut
fcojavi
Honky
Naulen
jcl
DeargDoom
LanceT
williewilkens
Stevieu
Mr_Goat
capnfunky77
FritzKatt
Schmokko
axazeal
Shaky fingers
Ro_S
obsoleteman
togril
gray haze bass
3mmo
Adelscott
Gilles
hyster
dutchie350
jonslock
RustyG
dshield92
rasputin666
BrunoOnBass
JAJones
BriGuy1968
Steveb
BrianP
Dynasty
David_A
The PiB
Guldur
RichTheLimey
BC Witch
Hardcore.Rockr
zen-box
wadeshad
Dan63uk
LightninRick
195db
storme37
DerekWildstar
Spiritinthesky99
HarperBlue
Harmann
shaneg
rideough
enaich
Cloggy
Stickymagician
Hami
nusior
supercharger
beefy thunder1a
AshNathens
jimmydime
andymunro73
JeffHopkins
Lardzeppelin
SIMON BURRETT
Papa Slayer
Raymondo
Grungebob
pulu
SteveD
westcoaster
Brett Randy
Greg P
alcoholocaust
80sChris
Old Man White
motociclor
Newbie1
The Don
sherlockdan
Rifkinn
urban_paranoia
DingDongDen
Rocket1
bigwelly2000
Where is my mind?
musicmutt
Catalyst
pererock
Roger hallard
Spudicus
esseff
Jamman
Autumn319
IronSkillet
pittpunkfo
BlindRubbernecker
carpcutter
punkyjam67
sqWarkbox
DimensionIV-addict
kristotoff
jeff fae scotland
Bone_idle
Kevh
King of the Stuntmen
shanesfords
patto82
fr3t2
KC
Sgt. Vimes
45Bodie
WestoneJon
RehanMahmood
blackstrat
GtrGeorge!
jim
arcelsv
micthetic
roj62
fergybass
deztone
Leon Transaxle
koky
Society
Kremen53
sbendz
Stefan 4
zl1wt
Fragsie
Cov
thegig10
neverwas
Thunder-Chunder
METESKY
Bee#884
xrleroyx
pilotfish
Chappers
DamienAllen
McToot_the_Bat
The Chad
ianrunci
axecollector
Ainsley Stones
mortarman120gang11c
bmoregeorge
Franco
sofa nova
mcbrat
501Spanky
bdmorgan72
SeanFMT
G.A.S. man
tabdog
JoeWalsh
Starrman
geopisano
ScreamingCockatoo
challpa1
xaranzaina
muttley
gittarasaurus
Itayke
DreamRaven
chaypup
the mudshark of desire
Rico_2212
Audile
madmuso
Thallium
Iceman
arcoddath
Philby
fish
The Guitar
Raider
IanO
beeflin
stpetecubby
rebuild
Westbone
OscarM
ChrisRoberts
Pelle64
Pro_Rico
mr mikey
crackle
Lowliver
jorg
xbarnesx
Racing
stuartb
AstroStrat89
Elan I
JoMo
Xavier
Shoegazer
steven1024
Baluski
thunder1
river
Harper1510
dischro
fluffware
richard_senior
THEBARRON
bobmarlex
marktigere1
bactuz
Sonny Griffith
nicholaspaul
untune
Dragondreams
Buddy Teague
bowenjaybee
pfbacon
prosonic
beefystrat
RCSBlues
Barry
GD K9
AndyGoblin
joediq
Thing T. Thing
Qwertyco
scubba.steve
rainbow11
Henning
KNM
diddydave
Ttone
oldad70
BilletGarage
pootyman68
north-west-one
DuoFuzz
kebabage
anaerobe
grogg
Trevor
hendrik
toxbass
fox
Pete James
halo71
Obi Wan Russell
Certif1ed
MagicMikeyB
Crambone
Chris the Caver
pit
VikingFirebeard
norfolkngood
silence86
cnevins
Vikki
GTFPDQA
flynny
Steve777
jinxie_nz
Hyperion
Bunyip
prestigious
Messell
pmac
totnesdave
ppc6mm
The_Avenger
elzorillo
caucajun
danjob
Warrn
mattcadders
Old Gregg
king koeller
clarky
catonine
FarToMany
logicaljohn
hummel
MarkW
TheShaggyDA
Fragile
challpa
colt933
Joseph St. Ides
boutjp97
Confused
WilsonT
kb2nto
Bluesman
wayne weedon
Sfalj
corsair
Administrator
327 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hi

Post by flynny Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:02 am

Oops,
looks like here is the place to say my hello's....
anyway i'm from England & just bought my first Westone Thunder 111 ( i think) this might be my belated mid life crisis who knows? Does anyone else have a guitar project before they can actually play??? My partner is a keen guitarist as is my son, 2 stepsons recently getting the bug & my 2 eldest grandchildren have guitars too, if you cant beat em, join em!

flynny
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Re: Say hello...

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:33 am

Hello there Flynny and Welcome! Smile

Hey, good on yer!
cheers

Better late than never! I'm ancient and I'm still learning to play. I've got dyslexic fingers and I can still manage to bash out a sort of recognizable tune now and again!

Anyway, get those pictures posted of your new acquisition!
Very Happy

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hi from Canada

Post by GTFPDQA Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:48 am

I stumbled on the site by accident which is fortunate. I am in the process of buying a Westone Spectrum LX Bass complete with case and both the fretless and fretted necks. Just hope it works out.

I started playing bass when I was 12 then found a 6 string when I was 15. I joined the military and well music took a back seat to drinking and working long hours.

In the past year however I seem to have acquired 6 guitars including am Epiphone Jazz Bass. Whn I seen the Westone, well I had to get it, so fingers crossed she will be mine in the next week. The good thing is that the bass is on Ebay Canada and and the seller lives here too. So wosh me luck.

By the way, Im 48, longhaired scruff and enjoy long beers whilst walking on the beach..... Nah, just like beer and I have the belly to prove it. Pics of the bass and belly to follow.
GTFPDQA
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

GTFPDQA wrote: I am in the process of buying a Westone Spectrum LX Bass so fingers crossed she will be mine in the next week. So wish me luck. By the way, Im 48, longhaired scruff and enjoy long beers whilst walking on the beach..... Nah, just like beer and I have the belly to prove it. Pics of the bass and belly to follow.

Fingers crossed for you,man - I'll bet a few of us in here have been watching that; I know I have and I'm half a world away... at the minute! Mate, you're in good company in here; I'm 49, have just last week cut my ponytail off - what a relief!! - and also have the extra bumper out front! I don't drink anymore so I can't blame the beer!!

Welcome... and can we have an easier name to call you?! Please?! Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 pm

corsair wrote:

Welcome... and can we have an easier name to call you?! Please?! Laughing

Ditto! Laughing

Hello and Welcome from me too!
Smile

I do hope that you get it, we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you!
Smile

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GTFPDQA Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:51 pm

Ill be happy to change the nick, let me know how.

Well I won the auction (I was the only bidder). Pics to follow.
GTFPDQA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 am

Hello GTFPDQA, Smile

You won't be able to change your user name.

If you could just use something a bit simpler for when we address you. (For example: Harry, Bob etc.,)

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GTFPDQA Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Pauline and members

Just call me Colin. Better than the nick.

Cheers
GTFPDQA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Now, kiddies, everyone say, "Hi Colin!"....

Right; next order of business is to get pix up and share your impressions of the beast in question!! I'm dying to hear about it as I've coveted that whole dual neck thing for years!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Aw, Shucks! Wink

You beat me to it again!
Laughing

Anyway Colin, Welcome again from me and yes, do get those photos put up as soon as you can please!
Very Happy

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GTFPDQA Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 am

Well, my deal for the Spectrum LX bass fell through. The seller cant ship it, even though we are both in Canada and they are in the next door province. I have a feeling I have been gazzumped.

Ill have to keep looking as I have the two neck fever.

So sorry that there will be no pics.
GTFPDQA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Greetings from a newbie

Post by Vikki Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello to everyone on this bbs and Pollyanna,

My name is Vikki Blankenship. I found this bbs while doing some research for Westone parts and general information. This is very kewl!

So, here's my Westone story for you. In 1991, I had a friend who owned a Westone. It's rather strange how I 'found' it and eventually came to own it. A few friends of ours were at his house and we were all playing computer games in his room. I swiveled around in the chair and I was staring straight into the abyss of his closet. And there I spied a brown guitar case. I had known him for 3-4 yrs. He knew I played and I 'knew' he didn't. Tho, he never made mention to me that he even had a guitar. When I said, "ah Hah! What's that!?" He looked like the cat that swallowed the canary. I suspect he had some shame (or guilt) with respect to his never learning how to play it ...in 11 yrs. His mom bought it for him in 1982 (the year it was made, I believe). Well, he said I could look at it and I instantly fell in love. I had only seen a guitar like that once before and that's a story in and of itself. And I only saw it for 5-7 seconds. (I swear!). I'll save the story for another post. Anyway, I tried to do the noble thing and offer to *teach* him how to play. Unfortunately, he did not practice. Perhaps it was because I wasn't charging him for lessons... I don't know, but I did try. So, then I did the only self respecting thing an appreciator of guitars would do.. "Gee, can I take it home and try it out for awhile?" He was happy to lend it to me. I kept for several weeks. He eventually asked me "Would you like to buy it?" Ka ching! $150.00 U.S dollars later, I'm the proud new owner of a Westone Thunder I! Woo Hoo! I must say, I was very impressed by how well it played, how well it sounded. It's features (the coil tap in particular). And for an inexpensive Japan student model guitar, it had the brass nut and solid brass hardware?? Wow. I was a sucker for the woodgrain from the start. The only thing I found 'odd' was the mixture of brass vs. chrome. So, during the next 6-7 yrs, I played it to death. Whenever I got sick of my Fender not staying in tune, ..I could always count on the Westone. A few more years later, I noticed it was beginning to have some severe fret buzz. I took it to a shop and all they did was put a shim in the neck pocket and recommended a fret level and dress. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on it at the time, so long story short.... it didn't get played as much. (I play mostly clean and fretbuzz is really annoying). I know that seems rather 'weak' to not play it for that reason alone, but it was having other 'electrical' issues, too. Several years go by and I got a wild hair one day. I thought it would be kewl to refinish and pimp it out some. So, I took it all apart. Sanding it down to bare wood. Last summer I tried my hand at some bevelling with a wood rasp. I wasn't ready to do any painting as I was going to be moving soon, so I waited. Especially since I'd have a better enviroment to do that kind of thing in. Not an apartment! lol So, within the last few months I took it out again and decided I did not like the way the bevelling looked on the ash. So, I rounded it off again. And with access to a rotary sander, I gave the neck heel a contour. I also scalloped the fretboard beyond the 12th fret. I reshaped the tip of the headstock for a deeper and sharper "w" look. (I hope this doesn't constitute blasphemy to anyone). I really do believe that this guitar deserves a new lease on life and a chance to kick any Epiphone, ESP LTD or a Schecter's butt (in the same price range), not to mention have all the bells and whistles which include new '57 Classic pickups, new electronics with properly shielded body cavities, etc. All gold plated hardware, gold locking Schallers, Graph-tech saddles. I hate to lose some of the brass hardware, but I'm not interested in shining it every couple months after it tarnishes. So, I'm looking for a new fixed bridge. I may or may not keep the nut. I would like to get the new Earvana compensating nut. The hardest part? What color to paint it? I realize they only made this guitar in 3 color choices (aside from the one with active pickups). I'm debating on a translucent green or purple. There's a company that sells aresol spray cans specifically for guitars called Re-ranch. There's another one sold by Stewart-MacDonald called Color Tone. Both sites have extensive information on D.I.Y refinishing. Anyway, this is my story...as well as my progress. It's a pleasure to be here.

Westones rawk!

Vikki Blankenship

PS This is who I am and what I do---> ME!

Last edited by Pollyanna on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put in a direct link)
Vikki
Vikki
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 am

Hello Vikki and Welcome! Smile

What a great story and what a great 'Myspace', I'm impressed to say the least! Well done there girl!
cheers

Ooh, ouch!
Shocked I hope the Thunder didn't suffer too much when you decided to attack it - just kidding, we've all done it some point, including me! Laughing

I like the sound of the purple colour scheme with the all gold hardware, I think that it would look pretty cool!

I've also taken the liberty of putting a proper link to your 'Myspace' so that everyone can click on it and access it immediately, I hope you don't mind!

Looking forward to seeing you around again and to seeing the photos of the work.
Smile

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Yeah, g'day, Vikki - good back-story there; certainly as good as anyone elses in here!! Laughing As for your renovation, well, we've all done it - and some of us still are, aren't we Polly! Razz - but I would hazard a guess and say that most of us in here these days are interested in the stock instruments simply because that was all we could afford 'back in the day', hence there's a whole lot of nostalgia for us *cough* more mature members! That said, it is heartening to see the youngster in here who are getting enthused about Westone, and in fact all of the Matsumoku, instruments rather than bowing to Fender and Gibson pressure!
I would say however that whilst customising the Thunder is a great way of personalising it, changing out the electronics could well be a retrograde step for 2 reasons, one being that the Thunder had MMK 45's from memory which were, and are, tone monsters; absolute gems and secondly, when you start putting in SDs or DiMarzios etc. you run the risk of starting to sound like every other bugger out there, and these guitars do have a tonal quality all of their own, which is why all of my Westones, Electras and Vantage are stock; I value the difference! Very Happy
As for polishing your brass, well, polish it once and then coat it with lacquer.... you'lll never have to polish it again and if you think that gold doesn't tarnish, the gold hardware on my VA900 is proof of otherwise!
Now, as Polly said, lets have a look at what you've got, eh?!

Last edited by corsair on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition...)
corsair

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hey

Post by cnevins Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Hey everyone! My name's Chris and I'm addicted to music...LOL. I've actually been up to my eyebrows in music all of my life and still am. I'm a worship leader at my rockin' contemporary church, NewSong, and am currently going to school so I can be on staff, full-time. Music is threaded into fabric of my being, it's my life. I know it sounds corny, but it's true. Most you guys have like a gazillion years of playing experience and have a closet full of guitars so I probably don't have much to offer as far as that stuff goes. I've only been playing for a year but play three or four times daily and have a phenomenal teacher. I''ve also been singing for 30 years and playing drums for 24. Back in the day, I played with a guy who had an amazing X-390, but haven't seen one, in person, since. I do have a genuine interest and entusiasm for these great guitars, a thirst for increasing my knowledge about them, and a desire to further their legacy. Rock on! Chris
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Hiya, Chris - hardly wardrobes-full of guitars, just 8 plus a banjo, a mandolin, a lapsteel and an Alesis synth but yes, it certainly feels like I've being playing for gazillions of years! Very Happy Mind you, if I had my time again I'd learn piano for the harmony and drums for rhythm before guitar, eh; good luck with the hunt!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Hello Chris and welcome! Smile

Hey, don't worry there mate, you aren't alone. I've only been trying to play for about three years and I still consider myself very much a beginner! I've got shelves full of books and dvd's and I can still only manage to muddle my way through a few songs. My excuse is that as I've got older, it takes longer for things to sink in, and it's even harder getting them to stay there long enough for me to remember how to play them all the way through!
Rolling Eyes

Right, where was I?????
scratch

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty heyho

Post by silence86 Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 am

hi,
allow to introduce myself. I'm Hans from Kaiserslautern in the south-east of Germany.
Born in 1986, it took quite long to get to bass-playing(had to go
through 6 jears of recorder(i hope that's the right word^^)and 4 years
of oboe).So,i startet playing bass one and a half year ago.
As I'm studying mechanical engineering at university, i have enough time to practice Wink (about 2 hours a day)
...my first bass was a yamaha rbx 374, followed by a yamaha rbx 375...
Some friends and I founded a band about 6 months ago.Nothing big...just 3 "gigs" in some pubs so far.
At the moment i quite like the music of ACDC or Motörhead (i went to a
concert 2 days ago), but i also like listening to dream theater, foo fighters, nirvana
or or or( i could talk about that for hours^^).
My first westone will be a pantera x790 which should arrive in a few days(i'm so excited about that).

Best wishes
Hans
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Hello Hans and an 'official' Welcome from me! Very Happy

Oh, you were born in the same year as my own son who is studying to be a Marine Engineer! (Small world!)
Smile

Anyway, as always, it is good to see the younger generation cottoning on to these classics. You do know of course, that it is a very addictive hobby and I will bet my pink wellies that you will go on to buy even more Westones!
Laughing Laughing

Keep up the good work and keep on rockin'!
cheers

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hello & a bit of help requested...

Post by norfolkngood Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Hello
I've just joined the site, greetings to all. Smile
As of yesterday I'm the owner of a Westone Spectrum SX... so far so good.
The guitar is dead, needing (and I quote) a 5 minute soldering job. The guitar looks to be in good nick, nice straight neck and not many dings. I took off the lower cover plate on the back to check out the interesting rattle and found that the jack-socket is loose in the body cavity. Where the lead should plug in is simply a hole. Can anyone on here with more knowledge than me (that means everybody!) advise if this is a specialist part or a universal part which my local guitar shop will be able to supply? Should mention - my other guitar is an acoustic, so I'm in uncharted waters here.
Tried plugging the loose socket into a borrowed amp (thought later - was that really a good idea What a Face ?) and the guitar works... Very Happy Pulling the coil tap doesn't seem to do much but I'm aiming to install the new jack-socket bit and then check out the electrics properly.
Any help on the above gratefully received.
I'll also need to replace the strings. Any particular brand recommended? I have never restrung a guitar with locking tuners, I feel another post coming on...
Cheers
Norfolkngood
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:11 pm

G'day, fella - welcome to the wonderful and utterly frustrating of finding bits for Uncle Matt guitars!!
First up, let's have a look at what you've got and what the problem is and we'll see what we can sort out for ya!! Changing the strings is no biggie, but you do have to be aware that changing string guages will in most cases change the bridge angle on a floating bridge, once again, no biggie but something to take note of! Very Happy
You have to slacken off the locking washers and remove them - don't lose 'em, eh!! - take the strings off and put the new ones on. When you have it tuned up with the stretch out of the strings, then check your bridge angle; I have my Bendmaster Deluxe bridges set level with the top of the body, and I assume that the FT is something similar. If it needs adjusting, you do that with the trem claw screws in the trem cavity at the back of the guitar, ie screwing them in pulls the rear of the bridge down and vice versa. But before you do that, you MUST slacken the strings off, otherwise you may just snap one by over-tightening.
If there's any string buzz, you may have to raise the bridge a little further off the body but that's pretty easy with the 2 bridge posts; once again, do it in small increments!
Personally, I use Dean Markley Blue Steel mediums on most of my guitars with my Spectrum GT wearing D'Addario EPS590s; I like heavy cables on my bats!!

It sounds as if the securing nut and washer has come off the input socket letting it retreat into the control cavity, and if that is the case, then it is literally a 30 second fix, providing the wood around the hole is in good nick; if not, well let's see what you've got!

I'd love an SX in Trans Blue, but have got Buckleys chance of seeing one down here, so good catch - you'll love the Spectrums to play.... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks mate, I'm going to be taking it really careful with the restring.
Norfolkngood
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello Norfolk and Welcome from me too! Smile

Oh, you will love your SX, I can promise you that! What colour is it? Sadly, I've just had to part with my beautiful red SX and it was a beauty, it played like butter!
Crying or Very sad

Strings: like John says, it's all down to personal preference. John likes to use something akin to the cables that are used to hold bridges up with,
Laughing whereas I prefer to use Ernie Ball's Super Slinky's No. 9's. Nines or tens are about right for that type of guitar I would say, but I'm sure someone will beg to differ with me on that one! Razz

Get some photos put up in the Members Westones forum please.
cyclops cyclops

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 pm

Ha! It's true!! I just replaced the strings on the GT with the afore-mentioned D'Addarios and the action and bridge angle both needed adjustment - not much but enough!!

(When Polly - all hail, all hail!! - shipped the GT over this way, she very kindly chucked a set of 9 - 42s in for me and because I had no spare sets lying about the place I whacked 'em on! I haven't had light strings on a guitar for 20 years so it was ..... interesting!!) Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Pauline
The SX is black, looks identical (apart from the colour of course) to the red one which I assume was yours on ebay?
Someone is checking out the jack-socket for me but when I get the SX back I'll put some photos on the forum.
Cheers
Norfolkngood
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingFirebeard Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:35 am

Late introduction but it's here! My name is Samuel I'm from Indiana in the US and I've played guitar for 12 years. My guitars include; Samick strat-ish, Ibanez RG 270dx, Ibanez GAX 70, Westone Dana III Ltd, Alvarez Dana, BC Rick Warlock and Washburn A20. I play through a Flextone HD and a Mesa Boogie 4x12 with vintage 30s and sometimes a POD 2.0 for recording if the mood strikes me. I'm more of a hobbiest than a professional so I tend to get whatever intests me rather than utilitarian equipment. I play almost anything from Gary Moore blues rock to heavy metal, but I have alot of respect for anyone playing guitar and doing it well.
VikingFirebeard
VikingFirebeard
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://samzasylum.freehostia.com

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hello ladys & guys!

Post by pit Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:29 am

Hi,
I'm Emmanuel 'Pit' Bricard from the band High Hopes (http://www.highhopestheband.com), I met Wayne on ebay getting from him perfect reproductions of Thunder's knobs.
First & lonely (yet!) Westone : a shinning red Spectrum LX.

I discovered Westone completly by accident : a friend requested my help to find a cheap guitar for his son last year on christmas. I looked for a used guitar, and found out a Spectrum St for 100€. I never heard of Westone or Matsumoku before, but i decided to try out this one... and wow !! The boy couldn't get more value for this price, it was just incredible ! Then I learnt the story of this brand, and seeked for another one for me. Now i'm trying to resist to buy half of the models i see on ebay ;-)

Here's a pic of my LX and I on stage at La Locomotive (it's a great place next to the famous Moulin Rouge) :
paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Sth_2610

I use to play with a PRS Custom 24, but I'm not 'stuck' on one brand and i really love this one !
I also have an Electra Phonix X189 - which is almost the same guitar, just two model generations older - in 'silverstone' color. I don't know why but i have a better feeling with the Westone.

Have a great day!
Pit
pit
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 am

Hello Emmanuel and Welcome! Smile

Cool photo!
Very Happy

You do realise of course, now that you have discovered Westones, there is no turning back!

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne weedon Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Glad you made it here Pit. They don't bite much, well I'm not so sure about Polly!

Also glad you like the Brass Monkey's Wink Well it's Brass Monkey time in my workshop at the moment, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wayne.....
wayne weedon
wayne weedon
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.myspace.com/woogie_boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm

wayne weedon wrote: ...They don't bite much, well I'm not so sure about Polly! Wayne.....

Only when I'm ANGRY!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Gnash, gnash!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Thanks and I need help with uploading pics

Post by Vikki Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 am

It's been awhile since my initial post. Sorry for the lag. I want to thank Pollyanna and Corsair for their responses to my first post. Pollyanna, thanks for the good words regarding my myspace site. Also, it's perfectly fine with me if you need to edit anything.

Corsair,

I hear ya. I do understand what you mean about the 'stock' pickups. Tone is important. I may go for the Warmoth Golden Age pickups and hope for the best. This project is all about playability, aesthetics. I won't lose too much. I will have no regrets. I can appreciate the 'nostalgia' aspects, too. Btw, I am 40, so I'm not that much of a youngin'. But, granted I am a big 'kid'. Nice to 'meet ya', btw. I tried to insert a photo, but I'm not sure I did it right. I tried the hosting thing and I thought it was working (new at this). I uploaded 'something'. help?

Vik
Vikki
Vikki
Registered Member

Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Vikki, Smile

Glad to be of help!
Very Happy I suggest that you try uploading your photos through something like PhotoBucket. If not, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do for you. This applies to anyone else who finds it a problem uploading their photos, just PM me and I'll sort it.

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyperion Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:09 am

I would buy any Westone pickup .... please PM me bounce
Hyperion
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by pit Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 am

hi Smile
Thank you Pauline & Wayne !!
Yes i really love those guitars, as i'm running out of space at home (a small student apartment in Paris i share with my girl) i have to resist to buy more yet... but i will move in a couple of month :-P
pit
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris the Caver Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:25 pm

norfolkngood wrote:
Norfolkngood

Very Happy Cool name! Lol.
Chris the Caver
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Location : Middle of nowhere, in Dorset, Deeply Southern England
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Cheers Chris!
It comes from a lot of problems I had with a car, a Peugeot cabriolet with a complicated electric-powered folding roof. Nice car but the roof mechanism is notoriously unreliable and mine broke one day, with the car stuck in the garage with the roof half-way up. An old boy who lives near me asked why he hadn't seen the "little blue car" for a while and I explained that the roof was stuck and I couldn't use the car. He reflected on this for a moment and then pronounced....
"Well that's Norfolkngood is it"
At least I think that's what he said Twisted Evil
It may also be a description of my playing ability but you'd need to hear my killer version of Smoke on the Stairway to pass judgment...
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by Crambone Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:22 am

Hello,

My name is John and I've been posting for a while. I tend to talk too much so I'm going to use some restraint and try to keep this brief... I just posted pictures of my Westone collection in the "Members Westones". I have many other guitars, I tend to go overboard when I get into something.

I started playing guitar my senior year in highschool, my favorite style is the classic rock, Aerosmith, Judas Priest... things that we listened to growing up from the high school era. I've played in many bands, the early ones did partys or "battle of the bands". Then I became a weekend warrior playing bars on the weekends, I always had a day job, so never played full-time or traveled. The longest band that played out was about five years, called Crossover we played a variety of music to try to please everybody; country, dance, top 40, rock. I was always the rocker, although I enjoy all kinds of music. I move a lot on stage, and believe that the show is a big part of a performance.

I really love playing live, and put everything I've got into a show. We only play out one night, a couple times a month. This band is unique for me because four out of the five members played together in a band 25 years ago. We're doing what we want, which is the classic rock stuff mostly, with an occasional new one here and there.

My search for Westones actually started with the search for the Alvarez version of the Trevor Rabin signature guitar that was in an instructional DVD I got featuring him. I like the signature series of guitars; I have Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert, Steve Lukather, and Trevor Rabin signature guitars.

I tend to go all out with things, that why we put on our myspace page, "It's all or nothing" kind of like my mission statement for life.

Probably my favorite guitar player is Steve Morse, he's playing with Deep Purple, and has been for quite a while. There's a little book called '"open ears" I think, which was taken from articles which he wrote for one of the guitar magazines years ago. It talks about life as a musician, it's a good book. He really seems like a nice guy. Well I'm getting on a roll here, so I better shut it down. I've enjoyed reading the comments here, and posting now and then. It's funny how you can seem to know someone, just from reading their posts. The internet has made the world a very small place indeed.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year! Very Happy

Peace be with you,
Brother John
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-18

http://www.myspace.com/cramboneindy

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Just had a look at your collection in the Members Westones, you've got some seriously nice guitars there.

I've been a fan of Deep Purple since the 70's. They've been through some bad times and changes of personnel but I rate Steve Morse as their best guitarist. Ritchie Blackmore was awsome but difficult to work with (don't know if the Deep Purple ---Come hell or high water DVD is available stateside but if it is, it shows the best (and worst!) of Blackmore.
norfolkngood

Back to top Go down

Post by Crambone Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks, I don't have that DVD, but I do have Deep Purple around the world live, it has four DVDs and a small book built into the case, it's great! I saw Richie Blackmore live, over 20 years ago when he was playing with Rainbow, they came here touring with 38 Special. They were taking turns headlining and Rainbow opened for 38 Special. At the end of Rainbow's set Richie Blacmore busted his guitar, then stuck what was left of it through one of the PA speakers. The crowd went nuts. I didn't know if he was mad about opening up for them, or if it was just part of the show. I did feel like Rainbow should have been headlining.

My parents are from Norfolk Virginia, and when I saw your user name I thought of that and a comedy from one of Bob & Tom's CDs. They're local morning radio show guys that are broadcast across our country. I found a you tube link for that segment norfolkandwaypal. It's funny. Here's the link: Norfolk Link
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 pm

norfolkngood wrote:Cheers Chris!
It comes from a lot of problems I had with a car, a Peugeot cabriolet with a complicated electric-powered folding roof. Nice car but the roof mechanism is notoriously unreliable and mine broke one day, with the car stuck in the garage with the roof half-way up. An old boy who lives near me asked why he hadn't seen the "little blue car" for a while and I explained that the roof was stuck and I couldn't use the car. He reflected on this for a moment and then pronounced....
"Well that's Norfolkngood is it"
At least I think that's what he said Twisted Evil
It may also be a description of my playing ability but you'd need to hear my killer version of Smoke on the Stairway to pass judgment...

Hee hee! Laughing Laughing I hadn't cottoned on to that one until I read this! Laughing Laughing Doh! scratch

John,

It's nice to 'officially' welcome you too!

It sounds like you have had a very interesting and full life up to now and I think that you share your musical tastes with quite a few of us around these parts.

As for talking too much, I reckon that I could beat you hands down on that score... just ask anybody who I email or even PM!
Rolling Eyes My babblings make even 'War and Peace' look like a kiddy book! Sleep Sleep

Oh, and BTW, I have just finished listening to that 'Norfolk' link and it was soooo funny!
lol! Cheers for that! cheers

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Crambone Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 am

I found that Deep Purple DVD: "Come hell or high water". It's available and on it's way. The local Library had it and I put in a request for it along with some other cd's, and they even had some of his newer stuff with Blackmore's Night. Here's a link to their website: Blackmore's Night
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Crambone Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Hello,

I watched that Deep Purple DVD, Come Hell or High Water, and that is a great one. It had some really close ups of Richie playing. His Strats have the neck scalloped. Has anyone ever played a guitar with a scalloped neck? Richie's playing was great, I love his vibrato and style, it's uniquely his own.

Hi Pauline, there's a lot of stuff on you tube. People post everything on there, it's really amazing. There's a lot of instructional video clips that are very helpful.
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hello from a beginner guitarist

Post by MagicMikeyB Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 am

Hi All,

My name is Mike and I am 37 and live in Bristol England. I am a beginner guitarist and and have only one guitar a
Westone Clipper CL4112. (well i think it is, matched a picture of my guitar to one on the westone.info website)

The guitar has a broken 6th string and 1st string. Is there a fellow owner of a CL4112 on this forum who could advise me what strings I can purchase to replace the damaged strings and how to fit them. Apart from the broken strings and a few scratches here and there on the guitar it seems to be in good condition. However I can't find any serial number / identification number on it.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
MagicMikeyB
Registered Member

Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:39 am

Hello Mike and Welcome! Smile

I think that I know the guitar that you are referring to... you didn't happen to buy it off eBay recently by any chance did you?
Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I've replied to your other post regarding the strings. I've also moved your post to the 'Technical' forum.

If you could upload some photos in the 'Members Westones' forum, that would be great!
Smile

Pauline

Last edited by Pollyanna on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a bit!)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hello

Post by Certif1ed Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 am

I "run" one of the Westone Owners Club" groups on Facebook.... or did, in the brief period during which I thought Facebook might be a good thing, and have sincce expanded my Westone collection by 200%!

My guitar collection includes a Thunder 1A guitar that I bought new in the mid 1980s, and have recently added a late 1A bass and a Dimension IV (all black!) - but I am not strictly Westone, or even limited to Uncle Matt. As long as it's black, I'll look at it Twisted Evil

You can hear some of the eardrum damage I'm attempting to inflict upon an unsuspecting world at http://www.myspace.com/Certif1ed or, if you're brave, my solo side-project at http://www.myspace.com/bludgeoningspawn (No Westone guitars were hurt during the production of this music, but all 3 tortured somewhat....).

And that's probably more than enough about me... affraid
Certif1ed

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:53 am

Hello Certif1ed and Welcome! Smile

Cool choice of name there!
Twisted Evil

Oh, I've just joined 'Facebook', is your group still on there and if so, can I join?
Wink

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Join My Group!!!

Post by Certif1ed Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Pauline

Please do join my group - and treat it like it's yours, as I don't visit Facebook much these days - I can even make you an Admin if you'd like Very Happy

Cert
Certif1ed

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:37 pm

I've joined a Westone group on Facebook, but I'm not sure if it's yours. I don't visit the site much myself.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Empty Hello there!

Post by Obi Wan Russell Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:42 am

Hi my name is Russ, and I'm the proud owner of two Thunder 1s, a guitar and a bass. The guitar was my first electric purchased back in late 1985 from a shop called Paul Garvey Music I think (it's long gone) which was in Eldon Square shopping centre in Newcastle, and is still going strong. In late 86 I bought a black Thunder 1 Bass second hand from a small shop lurking to the west of Newcastle whose name escapes me. Both have been customised over the years (they work for a living), the Guitar gained a strat style jack socket, chrome pickup covers and a Les Paul style selector switch 'Rythmn/Treble' ring. Thinking off replacing the original plastic nut with a graphite one and maybe one day fitting a tremolo... The Bass had slightly tatty paintwork when I bought it so in the mid 90s it got an upgrade, which included a J-Bass pickup in the bridge position with a 3 way toggle selector switch between the volume/tone pots, a 'handle' cut into the upper bout of the body (did make it easier to carry) and was resprayed in a dark gold colour (I had a car that colour at the time and leftover paint after replacing a wing). The Bas will soon be getting another makeover, as I am having a spare strat body resprayed to Cream I'll probably have the Bass done in the same colour. The guitar will probably have a more modest makeover, as I'm thinking of having the bodt sanded down and re laquered, as the laguer is worn away in places and it's looking a bit tatty close up. She still gives my Strats and Les Pauls a run for their money soundwise!
paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 19860010paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 Pic_mo11paduak - Say hello... - Page 3 19920010
The Bass is seen here in the hands of our singer at the time who doubled up on bass every once in a while...
Obi Wan Russell
Obi Wan Russell
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:06 am

Hello Russ and Welcome! Smile

Hey mate, are you a fellow Geordie that has gone South?
Rolling Eyes

I remember that shop in Newcastle where you bought your guitar from but I don't go to Newcastle much these days - too many one way systems and traffic wardens!
Laughing

Put some more photos up in the Members Westones forum please.
Very Happy

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Obi Wan Russell Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:18 am

Yes, I lived in Peterlee between 1970 and 1988, then moved to Southampton in search of work. When I left college (Peterlee Tertiary college) the only options were a YTS or the dole. No jobs around in Co. Durham back in 88. My Dad had been living in Southampton for ten years then so it seemed an obvious choice. I'm going to take some better pics of the guitars soon so watch this space. I have a fair sized collection now (all working for their keep!), so here's the list:

Fender 72 Reissue Stratocaster (1987 vintage) Cream body, Rosewood neck with Schaller 'Hot Rails' type pickups,- Primary stage guitar,
Westone Thunder 1 (passive) with chrome pickup covers, chrome bridge and strat style jack socket,
'Frankenstein' strat (made from spare parts) Black body, maple neck, schaller 'Hot Rails' type pickups, Backup stage guitar,
Squire Stratocaster Red Body, Maple neck, Large headstock, two Humbuckers,
Squire Stratocaster Pewter Body, Maple Neck, Small Headstock, Three single coils, (bit like eric clapton model but a lot cheaper!),
Squire Telecaster Green Body, Tiger stripe Maple neck (shades of Rossi!), standard Tele pickups,
Epiphone Les Paul Gold top
Rockwood Les Paul copy Cherry sunburst, two Seymour Duncan Pickups (P90/PAF),
H & S double neck strat (6/12 string) Black body, maple necks, tortoiseshell pickguard, three single coil pickups per neck,
Steinberger Spirit double neck (6/4string, guitar on bottom bass on top) headless, Black. Real head turner when I bring this one out at gigs!,
Westone Thunder 1 Bass (Passive), Gold body Black headstock, J Bass pickup fitted in bridge position, original P bass pickup retained, three way selector switch between V/T knobs and handle cut into upper body,
Peavy Bass Guitar. Not sure what model, Plays like a dream. Flame sunburst body, Rosewood neck, two humbuckers,
Turner 12 string acoustic electric natural finish,
Squire 6 string acoustic Metallic blue,

Coming soon: Frankenstein Strat Mk III, (Black one above is Mk II and Mk I I sold to a friend years ago. It's still going strong) Cream Body, Rosewood neck, Large headstock, three single coil pickups. Bit like 72 reissue but with standard fender electrics. Just waiting for the body to be sprayed... All parts found on Fleabay over the last year. Neck is a fender Custom shop, body is a squire with scratch in paintwork (hence re spray), pickups and scratch plate standard squire..

amps:
Marshall Mode Four 350 Watt four channel head,
Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab,
Marshall 1922 2x12 cab,
Marshall 1x15 Bass cab,
Marshall G100RCD 100 Watt two channel Head,
Marshall 12 Watt practice amp,
Boss ME 50 Multi Effects Unit,
De Armmond Volume pedal

And you'd be amazed how much of this I can squeeze into the back of my Ford Mondeo estate! lol!
Obi Wan Russell
Obi Wan Russell
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum