The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK)

4 posters

Go down

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Empty Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK)

Post by Administrator Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:36 am

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck

Belongs to me. Will ship worldwide.
Administrator

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Empty Re: Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK)

Post by grogg Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Wheres the rest gone? Oh I remember you bought some newer bits.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Empty Re: Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK)

Post by Administrator Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Yup, built one complete guitar - (which I sold to the guy who wrote many of the songs for the Dave Clarke Five - Linky) and this is what is left over. Can't really justify building another one!!
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Admin wrote:Yup, built one complete guitar -

hey, man - did we get to see this before you flicked it on?! Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Icon_eek Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Icon_smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6329

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 am

How good quality is the neck and body on this? I heard they went for £800 brand new back in the day, and that the neck is hand made in the UK. Would the quality of the neck compare to modern day (say) American Fenders and the like? Are there any issues with the guitar and body at the moment? E.g. would it be needing a fret level and recrown or anything like that?

If pickups were to be chosen that would reproduce the original sound, what would be likely candidates? Would there be a pair of Irongear pickups that would be somewhere in the ballpark?

I'm not experienced at things like restoring guitars. But, I'm guessing that I'd have to make a pickguard (I'm sure the machineshop at work would cut one out for me and bevel the edges if I made a cardboard blank and obtained "pickguard material"), add pickups/electronics and a nut. Is there any other work that needs to be done to it? Is the trem a quality item and in good order.

At time of writing I'm the winning bidder, but my bid is about half what I expect it to go for given sold prices of coplete items on ebay and some prices here. If I had more information about the guitar, that might increase it's perceived value to me, and I might bid higher. At present it's a "can't lose at that price" punt.

Note that if I won the guitar, my intention would be to create a high quality guitar for myself. I have some cheap guitars (Vintage V100 and Yamaha Pacifica 112v are my electric six strings). Playing guitars in shops suggests to me that I need to spend a (to me unreasonable) amount of money to get something of enough quality to make the upgrade worth it. E.g. £1500 for an ESP, or £1000 for an American Fender. But, £800 back then is a similar price to those now. Before seeing this listing, I didn't even know about the UK made Westones, and my interest is piqued.
Annoying Twit

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:06 am

Morning,
I'll try and answer objectively. I'm sure others may chip in with an opinion! If you want so information on the original specs have a look here: link

The neck and body were both made in the UK. The neck is fantastic - comparisons to Fender or an other make are difficult as these things tend to be rather down to personal taste. They are easy, comfortable players with a modern 12" radius and greatly improved access to the upper frets thanks to that unique neck joint. The back of neck on this one has been worn, but the frets do not need any work doing on them at the moment.

The original pickups were Gotoh Vintage pickups - I don't know if they make them any more, but you could get their current versions: Humbucker and Single Coil. I've not had any experience of Irongear pickups - but by the looks of it their Texas Loco and Rolling Mill would be good replacements. Hmmmm... tempting prices too! I think if I were rebuiding now I would try those out.

I think this would be a nice easy rebuild - all the electric sit on the pickguard (like a strat) so there is no work to be done to the actual body. I can provide a tracing of the pickguard too. The trem is, again, a high quality Gotoh system and is in full working order.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:05 am

Good luck to you both; I'd love to see this one happen!! Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6329

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:38 am

corsair wrote:
Admin wrote:Yup, built one complete guitar -

hey, man - did we get to see this before you flicked it on?! Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Icon_eek Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Icon_smile

Ah.. yes kinda forgot about that. I only took a few Ebay pics, nothing to satisfy the Guitar Pron fans! Annoying really, as I completely rewired it.

Must try harder!
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Westone Cutlass Classic Body and Neck (Ebay UK) Empty Durn ebay

Post by Annoying Twit Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 am

Well, I didn't win the guitar. I had decided to bid much higher than my first bid. But, unfortunately with an ending time during work hours, I suddenly had an avalanch of people asking me to do things just as the auction was about to end, and arrived back at my browser one minute late Sad

At least I'm now familiar with the UK built Cutlass and Corsair guitars, and will keep an eye out in the future.
Annoying Twit

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm

The necks gotta be worth that.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down