The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 x Thunder I-A's (UK)

4 posters

Go down

2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Empty 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK)

Post by DuoFuzz Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

These both popped up on ePain around the same time so I thought I'd chuck them in together on the same post.

1, 1986 Thunder I-A - Another late model 'version 5' appears on the 'bay. A very clean and original example. £159 'Buy It Now' SOLD
(Still no idea how these late production models compare to the earlier versions, Westone.info doesn't have much on them? By this time they seem to have lost some of the stuff that made them special. The brass knobs, bridge and nut have gone, aswell as the MMK45's being replaced with some unknown enclosed pickups. Anyone know what these pickups are and how they sound?)

2, 1984 Thunder I-A (restored) - The seller has done a grand job resurrecting this one after having second thoughts about scrapping it! It even has it's brass knobs all present and correct including the proper PEQ tone knob. £175 'Buy It Now'

DAN.

Last edited by DuoFuzz on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Empty Re: 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK)

Post by Warrn Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Are we certain the pickups are actually different under the covers?
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:00 pm

...oooh, that's what the MMK 75's look like on the Panteras.... 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_eek maybe, just maybe .... 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 pm

If they look like the Pantera pickups, I would say they probably are. Are the 75s better than the 45s?
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 am

DuoFuzz wrote:1986 Thunder I-A - Another late model 'version 5'...they seem to have lost some of the stuff that made them special...
Yeah, she's nice but looks somewhat ordinary with the black knobs, etc. (even if original, as appear to be). The pups may be terrific but again, the solid covers don't look 'right' neither. I think it's because the black competes too much with the wood grain whereas the brass colour complements it. Black belongs on a painted finish. Uncle Mats had it right the first time!

1984 Thunder I-A (restored) - The seller has done a grand job resurrecting this one...
Sure did! These are both so good looking that I think I'll be giving my Thunder I-A a more intensive cleaning/buffing when I get around to changing it's lovely little saddle bridge! It looks 'OK' now but having seen these restorations I think I can make it a lot better! 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_cool

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Warrn wrote:If they look like the Pantera pickups, I would say they probably are. Are the 75s better than the 45s?

I don't know!! 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_lol I've got one but it's not in a guitar atm, so I have no idea what it sounds like and I've never heard a Pantera so.... 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_eek 2 x Thunder I-A's (UK) Icon_smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 pm

It looks like the 1986 T I-A has been sold, marked as "This listing has ended" ?

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down