The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

+36
gittarasaurus
Ro_S
Sollophonic
Westbone
xbarnesx
The Don
Meadows
storme37
Catalyst
jim
grogg
Sgt. Vimes
Barry
bowenjaybee
nasticanasta
silence86
Warrn
DuoFuzz
diddydave
Administrator
sdOK
bobroberts
catonine
Thunder Jet Boy
metabass
flynny
logicaljohn
hummel
Silverfox
Krysbass
DavidL
colt933
Sfalj
corsair
Old Gregg
40 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Empty Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Post by Old Gregg Sat May 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Here's a fun idea for a thread - how about trying to name some famous Westone users (past and present) and posting YouTube clips, if available!?

I bring this up because the bassist who inspired me to take up the instrument, back in 1985, was a Westone devotee and it occured to me recently that I couldn't think of any others Suspect .

The bassist in question was a guy by the (stage?) name of Stuart Morrow and he was the original bass player for English, Cromwellian rockers, "New Model Army". I loved this band and used to go to see them regularly (in spite of the fact that their hardcore fans followed a fashion for wearing wooden-soled clog shoes, which they used to frantically kick at people in the "Mosh Pit" with Mad . I can see Pollyanna recoiling in horror at the very mention of this kind of behaviour pale ).

Anyway, Mr. Morrow's "weapon of choice" was the all-black, Westone Thunder Jet Bass (high on my "Wanted List" Very Happy ). Here's a great video of the band (and the "moshers") in action, in 1985: Link ....

Amongst the things that I love most in that clip are; a.) the fact that the bass guitar is by far the loudest thing in the mix (take note, rock bands everywhere Wink ), b.) the speed and inventiveness of the bass playing, c.) the great close-up shots of that coolest of Westone logos Very Happy and d.) the evidence of why British dentistry trails the world (except for, maybe, Bangladesh Neutral ).

After Stu Morrow left the band, his replacement jumped onto the Matsumoko band wagon, by championing the Spectrum GT Bass (yes, I want a black one of those, too Embarassed ). Sadly, I can't find any video clips for that one, so you'll just have to take my word for it Wink .

Anyway, what famous (or even, semi-famous) bands do you folks know of, who've used Westone guitars or basses in the past Smile ?
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-04-19

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/littlesiteofcalm

Back to top Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Empty Re: Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Post by Guest Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 am

Old Gregg wrote: ... (in spite of the fact that their hardcore fans followed a fashion for wearing wooden-soled clog shoes, which they used to frantically kick at people in the "Mosh Pit" with Mad . I can see Pollyanna recoiling in horror at the very mention of this kind of behaviour. pale

Oh, you might be surprised Gregory! Shocked I'm not that Prim and Proper! Razz I too used to wear those wooden soled clogs, but I must admit that most of my 'Clog Flinging' was aimed at my older sister! Twisted Evil

Good idea, but I haven't got a clue!
scratch The only ones that I know of were Status Quo, but I think that they only used the Westones for a publicity campaign and not actually on stage - Does that still count? scratch

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Empty Re: Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Post by Old Gregg Sun May 25, 2008 2:00 pm

I guess that Status Quo would count ... if we could see the publicity photographs to prove it Wink .

Maybe our cousins from accross the pond can supply some input on this one!? There must have been some other well-known bands using Westone/Electra instruments (especially in Japan Razz )!
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Will this do???? http://www.westone.info/ads/quo/index.html

There is also another, lesser known one, but I'm having problems uploading pictures at the minute! Rolling Eyes I'll get it sorted out soon though, hopefully! Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Sun May 25, 2008 2:39 pm

That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !

Can't say that I've ever seen John "Rhino" Edwards using any headless bass other than his red Status, though Suspect .

You'd think that a band like Status Quo would sell enough records worldwide, not to need to "prostitute" themselves to a guitar manufacturer whose gear they're not prepared to use, wouldn't you Neutral ? Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Old Gregg wrote:That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !
... Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!

Now that, dear Gregory, is a matter of opinion! Laughing Wink

And as promised, here is the other advert!

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Rock-1

HEE HEE!
lol! lol! lol!
Pauline :flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun May 25, 2008 3:59 pm

..you'll be pushing it uphill to find any "major" names; the only ones I can think of would be Mountain's Leslie West, INX's Kirk Pengilly and Hawkwinds Dave Brock! Oh, and Trevor Rabin from Yes. And I don't go near youtube as we're only on dial-up out here in the backblocks of NZ!!

http://www.westone.info/adverts.html

Happy hunting, y'all!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Sun May 25, 2008 10:16 pm

corsair wrote:...And I don't go near youtube as we're only on dial-up out here in the backblocks of NZ!!

Happy hunting, y'all!!

Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Kangaroo

Very Happy
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !
... Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!

Now that, dear Gregory, is a matter of opinion! Laughing Wink

And as promised, here is the other advert!

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Rock-1

HEE HEE!
lol! lol! lol!

Polly, if we had a "Westone calendar" every month, I'd prefer to see you on it than Francis Rossi 👽 , any day pirat !

Is that a tatoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 am

Old Gregg wrote:Is that a tattoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom

..yes, do tell us!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 am

Old Gregg wrote:Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?s

...Ooh, that's considered a vile insult down here, to call a Kiwi an Aussie!! Laughing ...but I forgive you!! Dial-up, my friend is what you get when you choose to live miles out inthe scrub - hell, we're lucky to have 'phone and power!! Sad

Hey, wish me luck on that blue Spectrum GT on the 'bay at the moment... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Mon May 26, 2008 5:23 am

corsair wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?s

...Ooh, that's considered a vile insult down here, to call a Kiwi an Aussie!! Laughing ...but I forgive you!! Dial-up, my friend is what you get when you choose to live miles out inthe scrub - hell, we're lucky to have 'phone and power!! Sad

Hey, wish me luck on that blue Spectrum GT on the 'bay at the moment... Very Happy

Embarassed My bad, sorry! I really couldn't think of a stereotypical NZ image to post scratch . All I know about the country (from friends who've visited) is that it's the most beautiful place on Earth and that Lord of the Rings was filmed there ... not much to work with, really Suspect .

Anyway,

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Gandalf2

Wink
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 am

Old Gregg wrote:

Polly, if we had a "Westone calendar" every month, I'd prefer to see you on it than Francis Rossi 👽 , any day pirat !

Is that a tatoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom

Shucks Gregory! You've got me blushing again! Embarassed Embarassed

The tattoo in question is just one of about nine that I've got, (all my own designs) and that particular one is of a Pheonix rising with a rose in its beak!

Oh, and before you all ask, No, I'm not going to show you them, so there!
No lol!

John mate, Good luck with the GT!
cheers

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Mon May 26, 2008 10:16 am

So all of these great guitars were never really played by the guitar greats? That's unfortunate...

After reading the first post I actually tried to find a famous person who did play one and well, no luck...

Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!
Sfalj
Sfalj

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 am

Sfalj wrote: Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!

I did! lol! lol! lol!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Pollyanna wrote:

I did! lol! lol! lol!

Umm, OK then - I'll just be standing over here.... Very Happy Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Old Gregg wrote:My bad, sorry! I really couldn't think of a stereotypical NZ image to post scratch . All I know about the country (from friends who've visited) is that it's the most beautiful place on Earth and that Lord of the Rings was filmed there ... not much to work with, really Suspect .
Wink

Yes, very true; it was but I've never seen it - World's fastest Indian was more my style, and that was filmed in my old home town of Invercargill!! As for icons, I guess the kiwi, or the fern leaf or the Air New Zealand koru are all that come to mind readily, so you're forgiven, man!! We are at the bottom of the world, living quietly, not being a burden to anyone...

So, thank you Gandalf - (?) - for the best wishes!! Laughing

Last edited by Pollyanna on Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just removed photograph from quote)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Mon May 26, 2008 7:12 pm

corsair wrote:....

So, thank you Gandalf - (?) - for the best wishes!! Laughing

Gandalf is one of the key characters from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Still, if you've never seen it (or read the books), then that won't mean a lot to you.

I guess I should have just posted a picture of the All Blacks, instead Razz .
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
Sfalj wrote: Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!

I did! lol! lol! lol!

PROOF! Proof is what I demand! Very Happy
Sfalj
Sfalj

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Old Gregg wrote:I guess I should have just posted a picture of the All Blacks, instead

...nah, wouldn't help; I don't follow what over-priced prima donnas do on a big paddock with a little ball.... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Sorry Antoine,

That was just a bit of good old fashioned 'Geordie' humour!
lol!

I was in actual fact, referring to the contrived Status Quo poster! Rolling Eyes So there you have it, all the proof you need! Laughing

Oh, and 'Geordie' is a nickname for someone who comes from near the River Tyne in the North East of England! YAY!
cheers

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Tue May 27, 2008 6:36 pm

I guess I better whip out an encyclopedia and figure out the geography lesson you're giving me. Very Happy
Sfalj
Sfalj

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Try an Atlas, you might find me in there! Laughing Wink

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed May 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Trevor Rabin, the whole reason I discovered Westone.

TR with a Spectrum FX:

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Rabin10

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Moz-screenshotTR with the 1986 Westone Pantera X-390CB remarked as 'Alvarez':

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! 74928710

And again, same guitar:
Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Trevor10

TR with a custom Pantera that you'll never see anywhere else:

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Trevos10
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm

...wasn't he the guitarist on "Owner of a broken heart"? What's the 4th knob for on that custom Pantera? Sure is pretty, eh!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Wed May 28, 2008 6:34 pm

colt933 wrote:Trevor Rabin, the whole reason I discovered Westone.

TR with a custom Pantera that you'll never see anywhere else:

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Trevos10

:bball: Hey, we have points on the scoreboard!!!!

I've no idea who Trevor Rabin is (nothing that a quick Google won't fix Wink ), but it's great to see someone actually posing on their album sleeve with a Westone guitar Very Happy (even if it is one that nobody else can buy Crying or Very sad ).

Good find there, colt933 Very Happy .
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Wed May 28, 2008 7:43 pm

corsair wrote:...wasn't he the guitarist on "Owner of a broken heart"? What's the 4th knob for on that custom Pantera? Sure is pretty, eh!

I think you mean Owner of a lonely heart. And yes, he was the guitarist for 90125.
Sfalj
Sfalj

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 pm

...ta, bud - that's exactly what I meant!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Sfalj wrote:And yes, he was the guitarist for 90125.

I thought he was the guitarist in the band 'YES' and the album was called 90124, not 90125! scratch

Pauline

Oops! My mistake, he did make an album called 90125 as well! Embarassed I'd forgotten about that! Never get old, it does funny things to your memory!!! scratch

Last edited by Pollyanna on Thu May 29, 2008 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added to post)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu May 29, 2008 3:51 pm

corsair wrote:...wasn't he the guitarist on "Owner of a broken heart"? What's the 4th knob for on that custom Pantera? Sure is pretty, eh!

He wrote "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and all of the other songs on 90125, Big Generator, and Talk, and 3 songs on Union. He graciously shared writing credit on all of these songs, but it's pretty obvious he wrote them all.

The custom light blue Pantera has a single coil in the middle, between the two humbuckers. I bet the 4th knob is a volume knob for the middle pickup. Panteras have a 3-way selector and the combination of 3 pickups with a 3-way switch doesn't give you many options.

On the Spectrum FX guitars, one of the push-pull knobs turns on the middle pickup because it only has a 3-way.

Search youtube for Trevor Rabin. You'll find LOTS of video of him
playing the Pantera X-390CB. Check out his video for 'Something To
Hold On To' from his 1989 solo album. There are a couple of hundred
Westone and SLM guitars on the set, including the light blue Pantera.

colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

TR burning up the X-390CB:

colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm

colt933 wrote:The custom light blue Pantera has a single coil in the middle, between the two humbuckers. I bet the 4th knob is a volume knob for the middle pickup. Panteras have a 3-way selector and the combination of 3 pickups with a 3-way switch doesn't give you many options.

On the Spectrum FX guitars, one of the push-pull knobs turns on the middle pickup because it only has a 3-way.

Yes, I think we should keep in mind there were one or two issues with Westones, eh! Smile In addition to the above, how about there being no string height adjustment on Bendmaster Deluxe bridges; my Genesis has no coil split for the h/b and only a 3 way switch!? I'm sure on eor two of the longterm Westone owners have more irksome things as well - so they're NOT perfect, just very close to it!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 pm

corsair wrote:Yes, I think we should keep in mind there were one or two issues with Westones, eh! Smile In addition to the above, how about there being no string height adjustment on Bendmaster Deluxe bridges; my Genesis has no coil split for the h/b and only a 3 way switch!? I'm sure on eor two of the longterm Westone owners have more irksome things as well - so they're NOT perfect, just very close to it!! Laughing

Don't forget that Floyd Rose tremolos and all tune-o-matic style bridges have no individual string height adjustment.

This is not necessarily a flaw...Mr. Rose and the Gibson brand have made LOTS of money without individual string height adjustment.

The Pantera X-390 guitars typically have Kahler Pro tremolos which DO have individual string height adjustment.

Also, the extra knob on the light blue Pantera is a great way of controlling the extra pickup, and the push-pull on the Spectrum FX is another great way of controlling the extra pickup.

Last edited by colt933 on Thu May 29, 2008 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm

More TR burning the X-390CB with good close-ups. Note that his guitar does not have the panther head logo on the body.

Check out my two Pantera X-390CB's. The one on the left has the panther head logo and the one on the right has the 'Westone Pantera' logo like Rabin's. Both have Kahler Pros. The X-390DB prototype has a Bendmaster Deluxe.

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Panter11
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm

colt933 wrote:TR burning up the X-390CB:

Enlightening Smile !

Steve Howe has better cheek bones than Kate Moss, don't you think Very Happy !?

Sorry Suspect , back on topic ....

Last edited by Pollyanna on Thu May 29, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed YouTube video from quote - it was taking too long to load up.)
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 pm

:bball: Hey, we have points on the scoreboard!!!!

I've no idea who Trevor Rabin is (nothing that a quick Google won't fix Wink ), but it's great to see someone actually posing on their album sleeve with a Westone guitar Very Happy (even if it is one that nobody else can buy Crying or Very sad ).

Good find there, colt933 Very Happy .

Check out his Live in LA release on VoicePrint. That's the X-390CB on the cover (although the cover of the version of the CD that I bought a couple of years ago is a little different) and also heard on I believe 100% of the songs on the album (that's what it sounds like).

He is definitely the most famous Westone endorsee. He also endorsed Alvarez-Yairi guitars ( DY-88 ) and Ampeg amps (VT-100 tube heads), both SLM products with Westone. Chris Squire, the Yes founder and bassist/vocalist has endorsed Ampeg amps for decades and obviously hooked Rabin up with SLM.

Check out Trevor Rabin on Ebay. There are LOTS of magazine advertisements for sale that picture Rabin endorsing Westone, Alvarez, Alvarez-Yairi, and Ampeg products. One of his Westone advertisement photos is from set of the "Something To Hold On To" music video that I posted earlier in this thread. You can also purchase all 5 of his solo CD releases on Ebay, along with his Master Licks/Star Sessions guitar instructional video (featuring his famous strat, the Pantera X-390CB, and the Alvarez-Yairi DY-88, his Yes releases, and the 9012Live video (no Westones there...before his relationship with SLM).

In the instructional video, he discusses Tom Presley at SLM (designer of the Westone Panteras and first Spectrum guitars along with the Bendmaster FT and Bendmaster Deluxe tremolos and the Magnaflux UBC pickups) making the guitar for him and presenting him with it.

There are a few really good bootleg videos from the Union and Talk tours and one or two really rare ones from Big Generator that feature the Pantera X-390CB and and the Alvarez/Yairi DY-88. Most of the live videos of him on Youtube are from these bootlegs.

There was a Trevor Rabin Signature model from Westone around 1989-1990 and then these were re-branded as Alvarez after the Westone brand name disappeared in 1990-91. These guitars occasionally appear on Ebay, but mostly the Alvarez versions...I have only seen one Westone Trevor Rabin Signature model for sale on Ebay and it went for like $900 and wasn't in good condition. Occasionally you will find necks from Westone or Alvarez Trevor Rabin Signature models on Ebay as well (from the cheaper bolt-on neck model).

It surprises me that the Westone forum guys aren't familiar with Trevor Rabin or his work. He's in my top 5 favorite guitarists with Van Halen, Dave Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, and Eric Johnson. He and Van Halen are friends and Van Halen covered one of Rabin's songs on the last VH album with Sammy. Also, Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" riff and beat from 1984 sound a whole lot like a song from Trevor Rabin's Wolf album from 1980. Obviously Van Halen knew who Rabin was about 30 years ago, before he was in Yes.

Since he left Yes in 1994, he has scored over 30 motion pictures including some Jerry Bruckheimer blockbusters like Armageddon and more recently the two National Treasure movies.

He is a bit of a guitar God. Check out this cool picture of TR with Satriani, Vai, Lukather, Morello, and Jordan (these guys are all legends and he was invited to play a virtuoso show with them):

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Guitar10

Last edited by colt933 on Fri May 30, 2008 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm

1980's Geordie black metal band venom standardised on Westones, vocalist/bassist played both Concords and Panteras but more often than not super headless models. In most footage the guitarist is usally playing a black Dimension iv.

In Tina Turners music video for 'one of the living' from the Mad Max beyond thunderdome film she can be seen playing what looks like a red Dimension iv though on the quick flashes of it you see I couldnt be sure, however, the fretboard is painted red to match the body which I believe was the case with the Dimension iv models in red. Also it only has 2 humbuckers rather than H/S/H setup so maybe a custom?

There is also a local busker who plays a pristine cherry red concord 1 !! Laughing Laughing Laughing
DavidL

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi there David, good to see another fellow Geordie joining the troops! Smile

Right, back to the subject!

There was also Dave Brock out of Hawkwind, (I'm not sure if Guy has already mentioned him) but he had a Paduak that he played on stage and it was hand painted with a picture from one of his album covers by our one and only Guy (Thunduak-1). It sold recently on eBay to a bloke in Germany called 'Ginger Baker' for £3,600!
Shocked

There, that's my two-penny'th worth!
Razz You'll have to 'Google' it for yourselves though because I'm in the middle of cooking! Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Fri May 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey Colt! That is some extensive info you have on Trevor Rabin. I guess you are a fan after all. I haven't seen the videos you posted yet because I'm at home on dial up, but I'll be sure to check them out later this week.

I personally know absolutely nothing about him but you make him sound pretty good. I'll post later and tell you what I thought of it.
Sfalj
Sfalj

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Another good clip of New Model Army in action Very Happy , c/w Westone Thunder Jet Bass being slapped, plucked, dug at and even a few tasteful harmonics too. What more could you ask Very Happy ?

Link ...

I know that most of you will hate this band Crying or Very sad , but the Westone bass footage is unrivaled Wink .
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Krysbass Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 am

Not exactly a household name fame-wise, but The Blues Band's bassist, Gary Fletcher, still plays a left-handed Thunder 1A, natural finish.

Going back to the 80's, I'm pretty sure Spandau Ballets' bassist, Martin Kemp "played" a white Westone semi-acoustic in the video for "True". (sorry, I don't know the model name, because I'm a bassist and not too well up on guitars with more than 4-strings).

Finally, when Simply Red performed "Money's too tight to mention" on BBC TV's "Top of the Pops", I'm almost certain their bassist was playing a Thunder III.

The search for similarly enlightened musicians continues......
Krysbass
Krysbass
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverfox Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:39 am

Krysbass wrote:
Going back to the 80's, I'm pretty sure Spandau Ballets' bassist, Martin Kemp "played" a white Westone semi-acoustic in the video for "True". (sorry, I don't know the model name, because I'm a bassist and not too well up on guitars with more than 4-strings).

You're not wrong! I spotted this a little while back while watching The Hits channel one day. The guitar is a Rainbow but I'm not sure if it was a I or a II. Was white ever a standard colour for the rainbows?

David
Silverfox
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by hummel Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:06 pm

A "the Rail" with the bassplayer of Wire on US television... must have been 1983'ish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eAOmz-Aag&feature=related

By the way, I saw them (Wire) perform 2 months ago at Hedon, the local venue in Zwolle. Old&bold, but very powerfull en tight.

http://www.hedon-zwolle.nl/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=81&catid=131
hummel
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Seeing those clips of Wire reminded me of another UK Indie band who had a few Matsumokos in their arsenal - The Fall.

Some people here (I'm looking at you again Polly Wink ) are going to hate this band and won't make it far enough into the clip to even see the left-handed, blue, Westone Thunder 1A guitar, being weilded by the guitarist on the left of the screen, but that's their loss tongue . Personally, I've always had a soft spot for this band, as Mark E. Smith has the most amazing announciation in the world of popular music and I've had many happy hours impersontaing him with my friends, whilst talking gibberish over a beer (or ten drunken ).

The Fall - "Big New Prinz"

The Fall - "Hit the North"

It's really hard to see in these clips, but that Westone has been painted up to look like a globe (I think) and is primarily blue, with little brownish-green "islands" on the body. I've got another video of theirs somehwere (from The Tube TV programme) and I remember noticing that there is definitley some texture to these blobs of brown paint, so it's not simply a case of the blue paint having flaked off to reveal the original colour underneath.

Fascinating, eh!? Laughing
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Old Gregg wrote:Seeing those clips of Wire reminded me of another UK Indie band who had a few Matsumokos in their arsenal - The Fall.

Some people here (I'm looking at you again Polly Wink ) are going to hate this band and won't make it far enough into the clip to even see the left-handed, blue, Westone Thunder 1A guitar, being weilded by the guitarist on the left of the screen, but that's their loss ....

Gregg, you are dead right there mate! affraid

Sorry, but I think it played for about two seconds before I hit the 'Close' button!
Laughing Don't forget, I'm just a delicate little flower :flower: and my shell like lugholes weren't designed to listen to that sort of music! No Music for me ended somewhere back in the seventies afro and I've been stuck in a time warp ever since! "With a jump to the left ..." lol! lol!

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by logicaljohn Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Well I'm very fond of the Fall - uh

But they can get a bit unlistenable at times !! - uh

In fact, the fellow playing the fender bass there in Hit The North (thats one of my favourite Fall numbers !) lives about 50 yards away from me (on the other side of the road, mind..). He's called Steve Hanley, in the Fall's turbulent (and ongoing) line up changes I think he was the most consistent and long standing member - uh (apart from Smith of course) doing 20 or more years service.. and he works as a caretaker/groundsman/maintenance at the primary school all our kids went to .

I was a big Yes fan as a youth (before Rabins time) but my all time and ongoing Westone hero is Dr Brock of that there Hawkwind....

You can't see much of it here but isnt that a Spectrum he's playing ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWlUfaWlS0

Any suggestions on what Huwy is playing the lead on ?
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Great-uh, post-tt there Logical-ll Jaaaaaaaahhhn-nn! Wink

Ah, don't you just love cliquey, in-jokes everybody Laughing ?

Interesting story about Steve Hanley, too. I bet if some of the parents saw and heard The Fall during some of their more "experimental" phases, there'd be a lot of rumours and suspicion about the creepy old caretaker Suspect (like a real life version of Scooby Doo Laughing ). Anyway, glad that I'm not the only one out there with "left field" musical taste Wink .
Old Gregg
Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by logicaljohn Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:53 am

Sorry about the cliquey in jokes there Embarassed

- uh...

I believe Mr Hanley (as he is now called) is quite popular at the school..

I would imagine many of the parents know his heritage, Hacienda DJ and author Dave Haslam is one of them.. It's the original School of Rock.

Steve played a free gig there the other week with his current band, featuring himself and Tom Hingley out of the Inspiral Carpets. Unfortunately I only heard about it afterwards, since our kids have all left.

A couple of them are at the nearby High School though , the headmaster of which is Gene Simmons out of Kiss. Paul Stanley is the chief dinner lady. Oops 'Lunchtime Supervisor'. And Jack Black is head of sports.

(Some of those comments are cliquey in jokes - others just plain made up.)

Mind you having said all that, I drove past Mr Hanley on the way to work this very morning and he is starting to resemble a Scooby Doo caretaker. Mark E Smith (the singer and driving force of The Fall) has turned into something like a hobbit permanently chewing a wasp , this happened some years back though...

tongue
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Empty Here's another great Rabin clip with the Pantera X-390

Post by colt933 Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 am

Lift Me Up - Union tour 1991
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them! Empty Cliff Burton played a Westone???

Post by flynny Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:29 am

Hi again,
as i was researching Westones i fell upon a page claiming that Cliff Burton of Metallica played a Westone Bass.....

http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=1864&type=bass

Not sure how true that is but when i looked at a list of Cliffs instruments the westone wasn't in there, who knows eh?
flynny
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next