The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist

5 posters

Go down

westone - Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist Empty Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist

Post by ZaCormyr Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:58 am

Search Vancouver Canada craigslist for a "Vintage Westone Electric Guitar - $395 (Ladner)"

Is it still worth the price given the damage it has taken? I was thinking no.
ZaCormyr
ZaCormyr
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-12-18

Back to top Go down

westone - Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist Empty Re: Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist

Post by Barry Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:49 pm

(Here's the LINK to the Dimension IV ad.)

It's not in perfect shape but the damage is not catastrophic. The worst area is the neck which could take a bit of work to make right, but again, not catastrophic.

I would agree that it probably is not worth the asking price of $395. Then again, it does have the original case and these are not that common, so it comes down to collectability and desire.

Forum member Dimension IV Addict should have the final say on this one (you can see his copy for comparison on our website: HERE
Oh Steve! Hello Wave

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

westone - Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist Empty Re: Blue Westone Dimension IV on craigslist

Post by DimensionIV-addict Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:47 am

Hello Mr.Barry and welcome (also happy belated B-day) Zac =)

I don't like having the last word on these cuz price is always so subjective.
For my 2 cents worth (or 1.5 cents US), and not that I've been following any of them but:

Last I heard there's one in New Brunswick, one in Manitoba, one was sold from Quebec to Utah to a fellow member, know of another fellow member in BC who has/had one, plus my 2 in Ontario makes 6 out 12 made...

Collectible and desirable also depends on who you ask, if you like pointy models and their relative condition. In perspective/retrospect, the one illustrated on Website post is all original and a 9.5 out of 10 for which I paid 450.00 with the original case. I consider it a find of a lifetime but... that's just me. The other I bought for 300.00 all original but the long point was broken off and I thought it as worth saving due it's rarity. At 395.00 I find it a little steep for the work it needs at first glance:

Not Original case
Nut isn't the original graphite
Missing stringlock
Gouge on the back of the neck (is it only the finish or is the wood affected?)
Ninth fret neck scrape and headstock edge chips

It also depends on one's budget and what you are willing to do with or to it, resell or enjoy etc.
(keep in mind that I may be biased as per my alias Razz )

It's always the question of buyer vs seller and if a 'value' can be agreed upon Wink
Tough call Zac but at this price, I'd negotiate.

Cheers guys - good to be back!
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaCormyr Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Only 12 made! Sheesh. Wishing I had more coin to throw at guitars but I'm already getting two. There is a vid of a guy in the UK who has one.

I was posting the Dimension for you guys really but also I wanted to see if my guess on the price was correct in being a bit high. If this guitar is still on CL at some point when I can cough up $300 then I'll be msging the owner for sure.

The damage which affects the fret board is just in the finish I believe. But it's a nasty spot to fix possibly. At least there is no inlay along the edge. The damage on the back of the neck is down to the wood and the wood may be dented from what I can see. It is hard to tell with the blurry image.

Thanks for info guys! Bday is today so you're not late there bud haha
ZaCormyr
ZaCormyr
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Happy Birthday

Good to know this info didn't miss your birthday Wink

Cheers
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:25 pm

ZaCormyr wrote:...The damage which affects the fret board is just in the finish I believe. But it's a nasty spot to fix possibly. At least there is no inlay along the edge. The damage on the back of the neck is down to the wood and the wood may be dented from what I can see. It is hard to tell with the blurry image...
Repairing dings, scratches and gouges is usually the easy part.

Where you rip you hair out is trying to match these trans finishes. Matching it exactly requires some skill since the colour is in the finish rather than the wood, but you can usually get by with staining the wood as close as possible to the surrounding area and finishing up with a clear coat or drop filling with CA (crazy glue).

Either way it ain't much fun, but as long as it isn't an immediate eyesore and doesn't interfere with the play ability, it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaCormyr Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 pm

I don't have enough experience to know. I worked at Larivee long time ago but only did the curfing and installed machine heads. These days I'm getting tools etc to do my own setups. No refinishing etc. But what you say makes sense. Messing with coloured finish would no doubt be tricky.

Regardless, I don't predict that I will be playing that guitar any time soon, or ever. hehe
ZaCormyr
ZaCormyr
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:58 pm

If you do break down and negotiate a good deal (hey, it IS the holidays), it will probably need a (Kahler) string lock to stay in tune (I think a 1-5/8") That'll set you back $35 USD or so. I'm totally with Steve (DimIV) on the value being what you're willing to pay. I think our "little brand" has fallen in value in recent years.... granted you'll never see them listed in Vintage Guitar Magazine's Guitar Values book (i don't think). Many of the ones for sale on evilbay priced more than $350 live with the seller indefinitely, so I wouldn't think of this 1-of-12 as an "investment" piece.  Now that I've said that, Steve Vai will buy one and 11 people will suddenly be 'in the money'.
drsyn67
drsyn67

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2012-02-08

http://www.markcountscreative.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:41 am

drsyn67 wrote:"..  Now that I've said that, Steve Vai will buy one and 11 people will suddenly be 'in the money'."

LOLOL - I WISH!!

But even that is relative too. There as so many aspects to 'value' of an instrument.
Is value just considering the financial investment, history of the instrument/brand, pride of ownership, rarity, condition or is it all of these?

An original EVH labeled "Frankenstrat" where 300 were made, will cost you about 25,000.00, purposely dinged and banged-up to resemble Mr. Van Halen's original.
Dave Spitz's (Black Sabbath) DimIV white bass sold a few months back dropped from 650.00 to 575.00 and winning bid of 465.00.
If you buy a guitar for 300.00 and sink 600.00 into it, does it make it a 900.00 guitar?

For short runs you add the aspect of serial numbers: the first and last would have added 'value' as opposed to mid-range etc..

I just enjoy playing, seeing and caring for the 13 few that I have.
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:54 am

Well said, Steve... did you buy Spitz's bass?  I remember seeing it and maybe you commenting on it.

BTW: I don't think 11 people will be in the money if Vai buys one.... but sellers would inflate their prices faster than donuts disappear next to the police station.  Throwing money at anything doesn't always raise the value - especially for hobbies (cars, guitars, girly bars) Smile
drsyn67
drsyn67

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2012-02-08

http://www.markcountscreative.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 am

drsyn67 wrote:"... did you buy Spitz's bass?  I remember seeing it and maybe you commenting on it."

Nope! Wanted it soooo bad then reality woke me up..
"Steve -if you buy that bass, I'm getting a divorce"
Just kidding about the last part - couldn't do it financially at the time.
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Throwing money at a vintage car will increase its' value... but only to a point where the market allows it to; the law of diminishing returns will take over very quickly.

Throwing money at a vintage "name"guitar will not really increase its' value as originality is highly prized and even a top drawer restoration is not worth as much as a really tatty but original instrument.

Spending large on a Westone is never going to see the spender a return on what could laughingly be called an investment; just not going to happen! 
I have spent more than I should have on most of the guitars I've "restored" but never, ever with the thought of making any sort of profit; generally I have some sort of plan in my head and I spend what I need to acheive a result close to that vision.

I just know that the Corsair I am going to make my own is going to cost much, much more than I should be spending on what is about the 33rd guitar in my collection, and one which is a late 80s, Korean built mass produced instrument but hell; it's a fairly harmless hobby which keeps me occupied and I'm doing it to please myself, not make a profit!!

I'm quite sure that those in here are aficionados of the brand, and never expect to profit from their enjoyment of the ownership of what is a very minor brand, rather, we struggle to keep the flag flying for Westone! And yes; relative values for Matsumoku instruments have, by and large, fallen since the heady heyday of about 2009-2013...

...sorry, chaps, to have hijacked the thread!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:42 pm

I don't think it's a thread hijack at all and ties in very well with the reality of 'value' of the Westone brand that we pride.

Prices are subjective to popularity and demand. I would challenge any other make to stand in comparison to our 30+ year old instruments and see how they square-up in another 30 years. Very rugged, tough and well built quality instruments.

The key is for people to acknowledge the role of Westone in the history of guitar making and evolution. Yes it is a chapter of yester-years but an important one to us who admit the historical contribution. Once people appreciate this, 'values' (as inquired) might regain some ground.
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Nicely stated John. Cool

I too do not expect to get rich from my guitar collection (pity Crying or Very sad ).
By the time you fix them up, and add incidentals like straps and gig bags/cases you usually do end up paying more than they're worth.

But Day-um! Steve's right, these 30 +yr. old guitars still beat the crap out of most of the stuff out there today! Every time I pick one up I just smile and shake my head at just how amazing these things are.

And as much as I love my Westies, I have as many Vantages, perhaps more, as well as an Aria Pro II. And it's the same feeling playing those.

No wonder the Japanese dedicated a monument to Matsumoku!
Some things you can't put a price on.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaCormyr Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:31 pm

No thread hijack haha. I wasn't interested in the Dimension in order to make a profit. I fell in love with the brand and the quality. This was only possible because of the 60's Mann les paul copy I have and all the research I did on that. Without that experience I would have scrolled based the Westone brand name and thought nothing of it.

That said, part of what gives Westone any value at all is you guys here on this site. What gave value to the Mann (to me) was that I could find out what the hell it was online. There were people out there that cared about it enough to maintain the info so it was not lost. So what is the value of them? The feeling you get while playing them because that's what keeps you guys here and talking about these guitars.

I have been and will continue to look for old Vantage, Aria and Electra guitars. But those will be other days since I'm buying two Westones this winter haha     Take care guys! Happy holidays or whatever you be doing!
ZaCormyr
ZaCormyr
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:21 pm

santa Thumb Up

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaCormyr Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Oops. Sorry my bad guys. The youtube vid of a guy in the UK does not have a Dimension. It has some spectrum with a blue fret board. Damn crapped out memory!

link   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3u7qZSxVLk
ZaCormyr
ZaCormyr
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down