The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats your worst Evilbay experience?

+2
logicaljohn
north-west-one
6 posters

Go down

Whats your worst Evilbay experience? Empty Whats your worst Evilbay experience?

Post by north-west-one Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:29 pm

You may have noticed the Spectrum 2 for sale on ebay in the last week. Well I had the good fortune to win the bid and took delivery of the guitar today. Cost me £67.01 which I though was a good price. The seller had a £25 postage and packaging fee which I though was a bit steep but as he stated that the guitar would be well wrapped etc, etc I bit the bullet and accepted this.
At that price for postage I expected the guitar to arrive within a couple of days. 6 days later it arrived. The post office van parked outside my door and the postman rummaged about the interior of the van and produced a bubble wrapped guitar shape which was duly handed to me at the doorstep. Nothing to sign, just a guitar wrapped in bubble polythene. I couldn't believe this. This fragile instrument had made its way through the postal system with nothing more than a sheet of bubble wrap one layer thick protecting it from the elements. My first reaction was to check that the instrument was in one piece and not able to fold within the packaging. To my extreme surprise and relief the guitar once unwrapped was fine which is more a testimony to its construction than to this idiots packaging.
Should you come across this shyster in the future.......... beware! His name is belowXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Pollyanna on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I have had to remove the name of the seller in case it could be construed as slander.)
north-west-one
north-west-one
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Whats your worst Evilbay experience? Empty Re: Whats your worst Evilbay experience?

Post by logicaljohn Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:13 am

built like tanks !
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

Whats your worst Evilbay experience? Empty Re: Whats your worst Evilbay experience?

Post by logicaljohn Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:15 am

Ours was, in a flight of fancy, bidding on (and winning) a broken hammond organ. collection only (from 100 miles away) I don't know what came over the missus, who is normally mildly disdainful of my GAS, but a bit of hasty backtracking on her part and the deal was off .....
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

Whats your worst Evilbay experience? Empty Mind yer P's 'n' Q's!

Post by Barry Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't think I have had a really bad experience with the US or Canadian versions of eBay, at least not with any of the merchandise as such. All communications, shipping and packaging etc., have been
appropriate and timely.

The worst problem I had though, was a writing error (bad penmanship) on a customs declaration slip from a guitar seller in California. The declared value was supposed to be US$245 but he sloppily wrote the number complete with added zero decimals. So, instead of reading as US$245.00 it was not immediately apparent that there was a decimal point and Canada Customs interpreted it as US$2,450 (government, go figure). That of course was converted to CAD then duty and tax were assessed!
I had to pay something like CAD$450 in order to get it out of Postal hock! Shocked

Then I had to apply for a rebate which involved filling out a form (of course) and submitting proof of purchase, etc. Many weeks later I got the difference back and when the dust cleared I ended up paying about $40 duty. tongue

The guitar in question was a '56 Danelectro R2 in "cool copper" colour...
Dano (front view)
Dano (side view)

...yes John, in the wrong light (fluorescent) she looks, um, pink and makes my arse look big! Razz

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Laughing Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:43 am

i've bought a couple of dogs. a neck that seemed alright at first, but when i finally got round to using it, turned out to be useless. a strat body that someone tried (and failed) to rout for a trem..

currently trying to get payment from 2 guys who won auctions on 25th may, and have been abducted by aliens, or so it seems!

i think the worst scumbags, are evilbay themselves, and paypal.

paypal hid £425 of my money from me, 2 years ago, and then lied about it when i confronted them! paypal account cancelled as soon as it was cleared up, and i swear i'm gonna close the ebay account one of these days...!
bobroberts
bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 am

north-west-one wrote:You may have noticed the Spectrum 2 for sale on ebay in the last week. Well I had the good fortune to win the bid and took delivery of the guitar today. Cost me £67.01 which I though was a good price. The seller had a £25 postage and packaging fee which I though was a bit steep but as he stated that the guitar would be well wrapped etc, etc I bit the bullet and accepted this.
At that price for postage I expected the guitar to arrive within a couple of days. 6 days later it arrived. The post office van parked outside my door and the postman rummaged about the interior of the van and produced a bubble wrapped guitar shape which was duly handed to me at the doorstep. Nothing to sign, just a guitar wrapped in bubble polythene. I couldn't believe this. This fragile instrument had made its way through the postal system with nothing more than a sheet of bubble wrap one layer thick protecting it from the elements. My first reaction was to check that the instrument was in one piece and not able to fold within the packaging. To my extreme surprise and relief the guitar once unwrapped was fine which is more a testimony to its construction than to this idiots packaging.
Should you come across this shyster in the future.......... beware! His name is belowXXXXXXXXXX

well... he did say he'd 'have to buy bubblewrap...'!

what a 'plank'! him, not you, by the way!

Last edited by Pollyanna on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I have had to remove the name of the seller in case it could be construed as slander.)
bobroberts
bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Hello Chaps!

I can honestly say that I haven't (as yet, fingers crossed) had a bad experience with anything I've bought or sold!

In the case of the extortionate postal charges, if I see something which I know the postal costs are really over the top for, I write to the seller and politely point out the correct charges and various methods for posting within the UK. This usually generates an apology from the seller and if I happen to win the auction, the seller will amend the costs before I make my payment! If a seller is unwilling to reduce their costs, I simply just don't bid and I've noticed that nine times out of ten, these items fetch a lower price than those with reasonable postage charges!

It's fair to say, that I personally have lost out by under-estimating the cost for sending something but ultimately, it looks good for me when people leave positive and kind feedback. It usually takes them about a week to open them too because I go overboard when I wrap things!
Laughing

Polly
:queen: :flower:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Pollyanna wrote:It usually takes them about a week to open them too because I go overboard when I wrap things! Laughing

Yep; she does!!! It didn't take days to open a guitar that the good lass had forwarded on, just 3/4 of an hour of carefully peeling back layers of bubble wrap and packing!! Laughing

I've not had a bad experience either, but my dealings are primarily with Trademe here in NZ and with a small population, things are quite open and friendly, really; dickheads don't last more than about 1 trade!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Worst Ebay experience

Whats your worst Evilbay experience? Icon_post_target nasticanasta Today at 2:06 am

UGH!! That would have to be a fake Ibanez JEM which wasn't even the guitar in the picture of the ad.... I was scared when it arrived because this came from China, I wasn't expecting a real Ibanez but this was the worst copy I had ever seen I figured I could do some swapping out of stuff and make this sing. Sending this back to china would have been almost $100 (it was shipped for free)... I couldn't get the seller to use their shipping company (hoping to save at least a little cash) but they wouldn't work with me, because the seller had gravely misrepresented the item ( I had emailed the seller for more pictures..and they still sent different pics that were not what arrived, total scam from the get-go) I pleaded with Ebay to refund all monies and make the seller pay for shipping from this obvious misrepresentation.. but since the seller was in China, Ebay wouldn't do it. Well if anyone remembers when I first joined... I didn't leave it at that and besieged ebay with phone calls and e-mails for justice..... 3 months later I got my total refund... I took the guitar apart, reset the trem posts and the trem springs claw on the trem cavity ( everything was crooked, everything on here was just thrown on) I made the guitar actualy playable... but I couldn't look at it anymore. I found a way to sell it on Ebay, somehow Ebay wouldn't let me sell it because they said it broke some trademark law, but I did and got the same amount I paid for it (amazingly)
So even though I ended up doubling my cash invested, it was still alot of frustration, stress...and agony.

The moral is... never buy from China off Ebay.
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 pm

EBay and Paypal are the same company if you didn't know.... what you have to do is be the worst pain in the "neck" to them.. that's the only way to get retribution.

bobroberts wrote:i've bought a couple of dogs. a neck that seemed alright at first, but when i finally got round to using it, turned out to be useless. a strat body that someone tried (and failed) to rout for a trem..

currently trying to get payment from 2 guys who won auctions on 25th may, and have been abducted by aliens, or so it seems!

i think the worst scumbags, are evilbay themselves, and paypal.

paypal hid £425 of my money from me, 2 years ago, and then lied about it when i confronted them! paypal account cancelled as soon as it was cleared up, and i swear i'm gonna close the ebay account one of these days...!
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:14 pm

That's how most sellers make their cash... the handling charges which appear as shipping charges...

Pollyanna wrote:In the case of the extortionate postal charges, if I see something which I know the postal costs are really over the top for, I write to the seller and politely point out the correct charges and various methods for posting within the UK.
Polly
:queen: :flower:
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down