The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really???

+3
BrunoOnBass
Clive Shakedown
Catalyst
7 posters

Go down

Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really??? Empty Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really???

Post by Catalyst Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 am

Never seen a Thunder II with a bolt on neck...and does that sticker stay Made in Korea?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-Thunder-II-Bass-Guitar-Matsumoku-Aria-Westone-THUNDER-2-BASS-/291477794851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43dd6e3023

Whatchathink?
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really??? Empty Re: Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really???

Post by Clive Shakedown Fri May 29, 2015 4:22 pm

My guess is that it's a strange early Korean prototype.
The neck wood looks odd, and there's no serial number, I've not seen a thunder II like this either, maybe it's just a T2 trussrod cover on a weird mix of bits?

EDIT------- after looking at it some more I have another theory:

it's the body of a Westone Thunder III Bass Version 2 that's had a neck break, so they got a bolt on neck and routed out a new neck pocket, (all the pick ups and switches etc are in the same place as on a version 2) then they sprayed it up in metallic black and away you go!
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really??? Empty Re: Thunder II Bass - Matsumoku....really???

Post by BrunoOnBass Sun May 31, 2015 7:43 am

Dodgy. Surely it can't be from uncle Mats if it's made in Korea, clearly more research required by the vendor. Good theory Clive.
BrunoOnBass
BrunoOnBass
Registered Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:54 am

The seller has done a bit more research and suggested, hope Sarge is sitting down at this point, that it might be a rare prototype Matsumoku made Thunder II from 1989....and priced accordingly.
A bit more research required methinks.

Looks to me like the Koreans raided the bits left over bucket and came up with this as there seems to be an element of every Thunder known to man in there  Laughing

£250 at the moment, although it was on for £160 last night...   scratch
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:52 am

89 Mats..... Prototype.... Why I aughta....
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Adey Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:12 am

The old listing says it was "sold" for £118. And now back up for sale again immediately at £250...

I guess that when he was bidding on his own item, under a different username, it didn't drive the price up enough

Or maybe I am just being cynical ...
Adey
Adey
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Shakedown Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Kill it with fire! One thing's for sure, I won't be buying it, my real Thunder II's will laugh and bully it until it wanders off into the woods to die.
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Roll on Floor Laff
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:18 am

Late 80's Korean Thunder II
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:31 pm

From what we were told by Mr Tom Presley at last years Electrafest all the parts in stock when Uncle Matt closed up shop in Japan were transferred to the factories in Korea and assembled there. Japanese made parts assembled in Korea at the Korean startup. Hope this helps.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 am

Look at the late Korean Thunder IA 6 string. It will all become clear  scratch Laughing  2 pups = Thunder II in their eyes.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:27 am

The seller states the sticker reads 'Made in Korea'
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down