The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get?

4 posters

Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get? Empty Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get?

Post by m-m-m Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:33 am

So, I've got this old dynasty that I've been slowly improving since 1998! I got it in pieces with a poorly fitting replacement neck and no electronics. Every year or so, i make it just a bit better. If I ever find the time I'll post the whole chronicle.

I've never been a trem user, so I've always just had the bandmaster FT decked. Over the last few years I've taught myself a bit of technique on my #1 strat and now I'd like to get a bar for the FT. At one point I bought a cheap "Memphis" brand (Korea I believe) that had a trem very similar to a bendmaster. I pulled the trem collar off and it fit right into the current Bendmaster that I have on there (I managed to find a chrome one, to replace the black one that I didn't like). To the point ....

So, I've got a collar that fits in there and I don't know what kind of bar I need to get that will fit in there. Is it supposed to be a pop in kind of deal or what? I found this article and the collar I have looks identical to the one in the photo. I suppose I could just completely do what the article says and get all those other parts and 'hack' a new collar that will work with a normal floyd bar, but it'd be much easier if I could just find a bar I think.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ps - hopefully I've fixed the autocorrect mistake that changed 'trem' to 'term'

Last edited by m-m-m on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get? Empty Re: Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get?

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:27 am

Just a standard 6mm threaded bar, I think other boardmembers here have been happy with the Stewmac 6mm bar, failing that Ebay should have plenty to choose from.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get? Empty Re: Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get?

Post by Westbone Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 am

just hack it!   Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Just a standard 6mm threaded bar, I think other boardmembers here have been happy with the Stewmac 6mm bar, failing that Ebay should have plenty to choose from.
Yeah, I've seen a few different threads recommending those for some styles of bendmasters, I wasn't sure how that would work with the collar. Does it simply fit in the thread where the collar goes, and eliminate the need for a collar?

FYI - according to my digital calipers, the collar I have measures 5.5mm (inside diameter-there's no threads on the inside) and 8.7mm (outer diameter - threads included). I understand that 5.5 rounded up is 6, so the 6mm may fit quite nicely inside of there, but that doesn't really tell me how the bar is supposed to be attached. Is the threaded portion inside the trem block stepped? IOW, wider at the top to hold the collar, and narrower at the bottom to hold the actual bar in place? If that's the case, what's the purpose of the collar anyways?
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Well, I just use my phone to see if I can get a good look inside of there and it does appear to be stepped as I suspected above. There's still the question of what's the point of the collar. is there some kind of sleeve or gasket that's supposed to go inside the hole to stabilize the bar or something like that?
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Have a look HERE

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 am

Barry wrote:Have a look HERE
yeah, I had that link opened in another tab, and I've read through it .... but I just got the 6mm bar so I'm not sure what info I'm supposed to get from that page.

Bendmaster - Bendmaster FT - I've got the trem collar, now what bar do I get? Block
this image shows a nylon bushing, but as far as I can tell, that isn't inside my block, and I don't know where to get a replacement. Based on my knowledge of trem systems I would assume that the bushing just holds the bar from bending and breaking off in the block. Then I would assume that the main purpose of the collar is to simply hold the bushing in place. Is that right?
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 am

The nylon bushing is not needed, read the link Barry posted.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 am

The nylon bush is not needed if your using the replacement part.

The original collar and locknut are used to press down onto the nylon bush which in turn tightens around the trem arm. In other words it's to enable you to set your trem arm as you like it. Either tight or sloppy.

Some bushes are black so it might not appear to be in there but it is!

The trem arm you need is 6mm.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:The nylon bushing is not needed, read the link Barry posted.
yes, if you're buying modding the a bar like he explains, then you don't need the bushing. I was trying to figure out the purpose of the bushing in the first place so that I could determine its necessity in my particular situation (non original collar, with an aftermarket 6mm bar). More on this in the next post.

For the record, I read Barry's link before he even posted it in this thread. I do my research.
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Westbone wrote:The nylon bush is not needed if your using the replacement part.

The original collar and locknut are used to press down onto the nylon bush which in turn tightens around the trem arm. In other words it's to enable you to set your trem arm as you like it. Either tight or sloppy.

Some bushes are black so it might not appear to be in there but it is!

The trem arm you need is 6mm.

Thank you for the info I needed. As it turns out, I already have a 6mm bar. I thought that the bar was supposed to fit with the collar, but it appears that these bars will not - at least not with the bar I have. I compared my bar to the one that stew mac and Allparts have, and I'm sure it's identical to the stew mac one ... harder to tell for sure with the stew-mac one, but I'm guessing they are all manufactured in the same place. Maybe I'm wrong ... not enough evidence either way really.

BTW, I was experimenting with some electrical tape on the shaft of the bar - just above the threaded area -  to stabilize some of the play in the bar .... And when I pulled it all out the bushing came out with the rest of it. It was white and in there. Just didn't see it.

Last edited by m-m-m on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm

So after all of that I've decided to go route suggested by Barry's link after all. My only concern this - when I attempt to screw in the 6mm bar, it starts to hit the fine tuners before it gets tight. I don't like my bars sloppy. If I go this route am I going to be able to get it tight? Has anybody tried this method with a bendmaster FT that can confirm that I won't have the same problem?

Or, maybe I'll just get that new trem that works with the bandmaster posts from guitar fetish. I'll have to do some pricing comparisons, and decide if the difference in price outweighs the time it'll take for me to hack the new bar in.
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:04 am

Decisions, decisions, decisions!... scratch

At least you found the nylon bush...don't know how you missed it?? Stands out like a sore thumb! Especially the white ones.

Seeing as I came up with the modded part(or hack job, as you call it) I can assure you, depending on the quality of the parts you buy,  it will stay firm.
If you need one send me a pm.

Alternatively remove the offending fine tuner, screw in your bar and then replace it.. Thinking
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Westbone wrote:Decisions, decisions, decisions!... scratch

At least you found the nylon bush...don't know how you missed it?? Stands out like a sore thumb! Especially the white ones.
It was dirty and I need a new glasses prescription

Seeing as I came up with the modded part(or hack job, as you call it)
That's the wrong context of the word "hack". I'm not calling it a hack job (a poor quality job), it's more an adoption of the computing term. "Did you see the way he hacked that floyd rose bar and got it to fit on that ancient Japanese unlicensed copy?"

I can assure you, depending on the quality of the parts you buy,  it will stay firm.
that's what I wanted to hear

Alternatively remove the offending fine tuner, screw in your bar and then replace it.. Thinking
yeah, that's one option - kind of a drag if you're setting up for a gig ... but I guess gigs are pretty rare for me these days, and I've set my dynasty up more for studio use. It has 28 different pickup options/permutations!! That's a story for another thread.

I'll pm you soon
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:05 pm

m-m-m wrote: It has 28 different pickup options/permutations!!
 Laughing  Can't you find a sound you like?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by m-m-m Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:15 pm

So to update, currently I've got the 6mm bar on there, and it's a bit firmer now. I had to take 2 of the fine tuners off to get it screwed in good, but obviously I put 'em right back on.  I wonder if I even really need to keep 'em on there, since I don't use the lock nut and I've got some decent locking tuners on there now. That being said, this guitar stays in tune pretty damn well bar use. My #1 with a callaham bridge/locking tuners/graphite nut doesn't stay in tune as well when I use the bar.

I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the "westbone mod" when all is said and done. It'll be easier to take on and off, and I'll probably be happier with it. Thanx for the help everybody!

EDIT - I finally got around to making my long post about my 2 westones. see it here!
m-m-m
m-m-m
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down