The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New amp day

Go down

New amp day Empty New amp day

Post by Kevh Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Generally I'm an amplitube man, but having recently come into a bit of cash I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon with the low wattage tube amps which are so popular these days. After a little research i decided it had to be  a VHT special 6 Ultra. Chinese, but hand wired on an eyelet board, 12 inch speaker and ply cab (I went for the combo) Slightly over £200 shipped free from Thomann. Why no-one is retaliing these here in the UK is beyond me, they would fly off the shelves.

2x12ax7 in the pre and a 6L6 power tube, 2 channels clean and ultra, with a power attenuator down to 0.5 watts (6 watts through the ultra with the thunders active gain is definitely not a neighbour pleaser), tube driven effect loop and some EQ mods built in, you certainly get some bang for your buck. The clean channel has a fine sparkly sound with single coils and P-90s, and you can get it breaking up nicely digging in with humbuckers, the ultra channel kicks the second preamp tube in and it's overdrive all the way. there's a footswitch boost (shame it isn't a channel changer, that has to be done manually). The amp is designed with modification in mind, I haven't looked at the tubes but assume investment there, and a celestion upgrade would produce results.

Still early days yet, but so far I'm thrilled with it. Compared to the little champ 600, and the AC4  I played a few month ago this is just so much better put together and so much better value. It;s hard to get a bad sound out of it..and amplitubes gathering cyberdust as i now  begin a search for necessary pedals.
Kevh
Kevh
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum