The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get?

+2
corsair
J.a.c.aranda87
6 posters

Go down

Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get? Empty Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get?

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I've been looking at rounding up some Westones and I'm looking specifically, lately, at the XA series. My questions are though, how are the necks on those? Also, am I looking at the right series or a thin neck? The best two guitars I have are an Ibanez PS-10 II, and my Alvarez Trevor Rabin, both of which have pretty thin necks and that's just the way I like them. I bought an X300 awhile back, and the neck was a bit thick for my taste, so I wanted to ask for some opinions before I jumped in head first again.
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get? Empty Re: Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get?

Post by corsair Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:33 am

Well, the necks on my Clipper, Genesis II and Spectrum SP1012 are possibly the best necks I've ever played on!

They really are nice; flat, fast and just wide enough; compared to the Matsumoku Spectrums and the X300 which feel a little like baseball bats!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get? Empty Re: Neck Comparison- Which Westie to get?

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Amen on that, Corsair! haha Thanks for the response. I've wondered about the Genesis series before and now it seems like that is a pretty good option!
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I second corsair's post there, I've always gone for the chunkier neck but these seriesII necks are just amazing, I normally have trouble with a slim neck either pulling strings out of key or pressing too hard, but these are starting to turn me.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

I see, I see. Now to save up and find a Genesis II. I'm not sure which part will be harder.
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 pm

i think you might like the XA better than the Genesis.

the Genesis neck is thinner than the Pantera, but is still gently rounded to the back

the XA series neck is even thinner and the back of the neck has a flat feel to it coming up around the 10th - 12th fret.

there is a nice one on ebay right now.
and the  seller just lowered the price by $100,
to a very reasonable $149 on a nice Platinum Burst XA1330
that is a good deal on an excellent guitar
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:57 pm

If you have a guitar with a neck that feels too thick,  it really is easy to thin the neck down on your own.  Sounds scary, but it really is easy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:15 am

Gittarsaurus- Currently trying to acquire funds for that blue burst! I really like it! Thanks for the info about the neck on it.

Sarc- I've thought about going that route but that's a whole different ball game for me. I'm not too mechanically inclined and I wouldn't want to mess it up. Plus, if I needed to re-sell it at some point, I imagine that would knock the value down.
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 pm

If you can find one, grab a Westone Dana.  They're have fantastic necks, thin and shred worthy.  

IF you can find one, that's the hard part.  Talk about rare, we've seen more 350ma's then Dana's.  Smile
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by contrahell Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 pm

If you are in the states, Guitar Center used has a Genisis II in black for $150 in La Mesa, CA. Item #109336173.....hope this helps
contrahell
contrahell
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Huh! I forgot about the Westone Dana. That would be a rare find indeed! Chad, you have an Alvarez Dana, don't you? How are the necks on those?
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down