The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to the UK?

5 posters

Go down

Moving to the UK? Empty Moving to the UK?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm

My wife would like to move to England for a year or two. My job has an office in Reading which I have been to for a month and I did like it. But move there? for possibly more than a year? Not so sure. I just got done buying all the shop tools for making guitars from scratch and am in the process of my first strat and tele builds...which are practice for my original builds. How do I do a 2 yr stint in another country and keep my stuff going? Not trying to be selfish, but we just bought our house a year ago and are just settling in. I like England, but it certainly can't compare to the weather in the UK. She would love the kids to go there and learn, and get to see other countries on weekend trips which I totally understand and think is cool. I have 20 guitars that I'm going to keep in storage? I can't catch tarpon, redfish and seatrout on my kayak on the saltwater flats? I can't bring my tools?
I really like England, but for a temp move of a year or two it isn't making sense to me - I like too much here
Maybe the UK folks can give me some reasons to do this. Maybe Corsair who relocates often (and continually has his stuff in storage can give advice) but I'm not seeing it. Did I mention I live in FLA close enough to the beaches to enjoy it?

ugh. venting in a forum I know she doesn't read Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Moving to the UK? Empty Re: Moving to the UK?

Post by IanO Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 pm

The way the weather is over here at the mo, I think we should all come to you!
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm

WOW....that's a toughy. On one hand do it for the little children (and the wife) or don't do it for you......mmmmmmmmmm.

Not sure I could answer that one although we have thought about going your way for a year or two but eldest child is about to go to secondary (high?) school he's 11 in July and we're not sure it's a good time to move like that. Nos 2, 3 & 4 are all settled in their school as well.

On the bright side the thought of being able to show them things that I missed as a child (I'm thinking of other countries/cultures/ histories etc), is a massive pull to move and although we all moan about taxes, price of petrol, government, weather etc etc etc, its pretty much the same everywhere. And we do have some GREAT places to see and do. You could possible meet up with some westie people (may not be a good idea! don't want to make you homesick). Enrol in a guitar building course while your here? You could probably kit out a workshop whilst your here then sell it and send some back when/if you return.Just make sure you wrap the stored tools in good oil cloth!

Doubt this helps much but it's 00:44 here and i'm rambling tired.

Good luck, s'pose I should say something like would you want to regret saying no in the futue. but it's easier to type than live by

Cheer

Ian

IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Ian, I agree there are alot of positives, but the wife isn;t seeing the negatives. We'll see what happens. I really don;t mind going for a year, but I'd have to be able to get NFL on tv. I would love to do my impression of Irish acoustic music for those over there since that is my heritage. At least there will be good beer as well. I'm willing to do a year at most, and maybe I could get a chance to jam with some of you UK folks if you are near Reading
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 am

Well, you'd have a year to scour the island for Westones and bring them back to the US.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 am

Right. As someone who has been gone and done just what you're envisaging, I would add a couple of caveats; one year is not enough. Not even roughly. You will want to go and see stuff all over the UK and the Continent and one year just ain't enough.
Weather is weather; we live in Queensland now because it is warm all the time but sometimes - just sometimes, mind you!! - I miss having seasons other than wet & warm, and not-quite-as-wet & warm! Yes; Northern Europe is cold but it is not permanent, is it?!
You will have an adventure and your children will become a little more worldly; no bad thing!
The other caveat is that stuff really is more expensive in Europe, and it really is that crowded, but the payoff is wonderful; to be able to see Stonehenge for real, the Eiffel tower, Hadrians Wall, The Globe Theatre.... Going to France just for the day.... mate, if you've got the opportuntity, grab it!!
We lived in the Channel Islands, not the mainland, so things for even more expensive for us but - to bastardise Edith Piaf, I regret nothing!!

If you want to chat some more about it, PM me and we'll set something up...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

All good points eh, but i guess I really just don't want to go. We'll see what happenes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am

Maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity, Sarc. Details will iron out if you pull the trigger, and you may regret it if you don't. Maybe do it for them? When you put others first you will be rewarded. Any you may become a better man for it.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

Chadda Thai Cuisine

I'm sure that Sarc will be more than delighted with that thinly veiled character assassination! bounce

We know that he is selfish and really needs to grow some as a human, but did you really need to rub his snout in it?

Hoax Smile
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 am

hoax wrote:Chadda Thai Cuisine

I'm sure that Sarc will be more than delighted with that thinly veiled character assassination! bounce

We know that he is selfish and really needs to grow some as a human, but did you really need to rub his snout in it?

Hoax Smile

Moving to the UK? 3077217049 Well didn't quite mean it THAT way, but that Thai sounds great.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down