The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing spray paint from a Raider I

+10
Sgt. Vimes
Warrn
mortarman120gang11c
Iceman
eyebulger
The Chad
gittarasaurus
Barry
westcoaster
Billoney
14 posters

Go down

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Empty Removing spray paint from a Raider I

Post by Billoney Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi guys! I'm new member here! I just picked up a Raider I online (I haven't received it yet) It has flat black spray paint covering it's original red/yellow glitter paint. Does anyone know what type of finish the Raiders have? I'd like to know, so I can approach this project properly. I'll probably start with the duct tape "stick-and-rip" method on the back for starters to see if it comes right off. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Billoney on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)
Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Empty Re: Removing spray paint from a Raider I

Post by westcoaster Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm

If its the usual mats standard then it's going to be pretty much bullet proof. Don't know how you'd go about removing the overspray - fine wire wool?
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Empty Re: Removing spray paint from a Raider I

Post by Barry Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Billoney and welcome here.
Mats instruments were finished in a catalyzed polyethylene finish (commercial name "Imron"). It's a tank-tough finish and generally a heart breaker to remove for those silly enough to try.

As for removing spray paint over top of the original, I think you're wise to try the simplest method first and see how it goes. Try to do as little mechanical or chemical damage as possible. The one thing we know for sure is that the original finish will respond remarkably well to rubbing compound and wax. So if you are able to remove the cheap paint don't be discouraged if the reveal is dull. it will shine again.

I have used a chemical stripper to remove overcoats of paint but my intent on that occasion was to find bare wood. Even with that, I ended up retaining a lot of the original black finish because it was so well bonded. It ended up being an undercoat! You don't want to go to that extreme but if you are extremely careful you might be able to remove the inferior paint with a stripper, without the original suffering too badly. But it will require close attention and a minimum contact time.
Good luck!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billoney Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Catalyzed polyethylene! Awesome! Thank you! Now I can research properly!
You're absolutely correct. I intend to approach this project very carefully. I will first try with my fingernail. Then move on to the duct tape method (stick and rip) and maybe even a light scraping with a plastic putty knife, before moving on to chemicals.
Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

i used this stuff. i got it at the corner hardware store. use rubber gloves and a soft rag. do it outdoors or in well ventilated area. take your time and it will all come off.

i needed to remove a spray can job from a Corsair and it worked great! even the thickest blobiest muck was dissolved and wiped off with just a bit of rubbing

the best bonus of all was absolutely no damage to the underlying finish. here you can see the blue paint inside the trem cavity, but the rest of the finish looks great!
Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Ry%3D400Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Billoney Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Awesome job on that one! The internet seems to be telling me that acetone will not damage catalyzed polyethylene. If I have to resort to chemicals, I'll start there, 'cause I can just grab a jar from my wife!
Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Billoney Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I got the Raider in the mail today. Here it is after about 2 minutes of cheap-o nail polish remover, and a paper towel and my thumbnail. I think it's gunna work! You can see the original paint in the spring cavity, and the small patch of paint that came off! I'm totally psyched!

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Wtblac10

Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Once you get this paint off, you'll be grinning like a mule eating briars.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Great to hear. What's underneath has gotta be head and shoulders above that awful black stuff!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Billoney Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Acetone + elbow grease!

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Raidim10
Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by eyebulger Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:37 pm

affraid
eyebulger
eyebulger

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Holy $napp'n @r$€#0le$, Batman!!! Surprised! Surprised! Talk about back from the dead!

Great save there. Way to go dude... So Happy
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I 3262125054Now that's a thing of beauty and is also USMC colors to boot. Great job and great to see it's original beauty again. These are great players and that pickup has power to spare. Simple yet very effective. Congrats on a great score and restoration. She is ready to rock
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 am

WOW. That beauty sure did clean up well! Great work getting the original finish back!
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 am

Cracking job there, well done!
now you can enjoy rocking out glam style!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Abso-freekin' fantastic!!
Beautiful.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Billoney Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks guys. It worked out nicely! It wasn't easy, but it's a labor of love. Here's what I've learned (this was my first time removing paint from a guitar)

100% acetone from the hardware store is 10x better than nail polish remover from the drugstore! I kept the acetone away from the fretboard and the pickup as i'm pretty sure that would have ruined them. The condition under the paint was as good as I could have hoped for. Lucky for me, the person who spray painted it did not sand down the original finish. It was about 5 hours of work to remove it all, but that made plugging it in, and ringing out that first note,all the sweeter

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Raidim11

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I Raidim12

... even the back of the neck was spray painted! Who would do this?
Billoney
Billoney
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 am

Erm, westone did with the spectrum range Very Happy
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 am

Yum yum yum.... Wink

John like.

Billoney send guitar to John.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Wow, you can see why he painted it black (only kidding Very Happy ) great job and worthwhile doing, looks like the black acted like a protective coat, from your pics it looks immaculate.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm

I got to this post late - Great result!!

I have done a few guitars which came with a home done refinish. I use paint thinners and papers towels and it only takes about half an hour to 45 minutes.

The thinners will not touch the original finish which, as stated, is very tough.

But never mind, you got a great result there!

Hoax Very Happy
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow, these models arent my cup of tea but if they were I would be doing backflips down the street with this.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Billoney wrote:...Lucky for me, the person who spray painted it did not sand down the original finish. ...
You were very lucky there indeed! What a great result.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 pm

hey Billoney, saw this and thought of you
clicky here

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I 3262125054
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Thinking I've pondered over this for a while now and I can't for the life of me understand why someone would paint over THAT with THAT!!! lol!

No accounting for taste I guess.

Great looking axe, congrats Very Happy
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:hey Billoney, saw this and thought of you
clicky here

Raider - Removing spray paint from a Raider I 3262125054

"More than 10 available"... color me Shocked'ed

That ensemble brings to mind my favorite scene from Caddyshack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPsdkTCufs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down