The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me find my Thunder I-A

+2
corsair
MrA
6 posters

Go down

Help me find my Thunder I-A Empty Help me find my Thunder I-A

Post by MrA Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi there!

I'm the proud owner of a superb Red Rainbow II (1982 model in mint condition) of which I'll post pics and the story when I'll have time. Anyway, it is a GREAT guitar!
It is that great that I already want a 2nd Westone : a thunder I-A this time!

I hope you guys can help me with the two I found so far :

- this one is on e-bay but it is not a "usual" thunder I with the black body...can somebody tell me more about this one??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160311562723&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

- the next one is a Thunder I-A from the earlier series, without eagle head. It's a black thunder I-A with the natural centre stripe and string through body (it's the 2nd version related on the westone site). It's in good condition without original case but it's quite expensive I think = 350€

Could you please tell me difference between 2 models and if 350€ is not to expensive for the early I-A ??
All other information is welcome!

Thanks,

MrA
MrA
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Help me find my Thunder I-A Empty Re: Help me find my Thunder I-A

Post by corsair Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:36 pm

G'day, MrA - ¢350 sounds awfully expensive for a Thunder; it'd have to be in really good nick for that price, eh!

That black one is a beauty - it's the active version and while I don't have a Thunder - (I'm a Spectrum man!!) - , I do have a Vantage VA900 which has the active electronics and it is a very very versatile, and powerful, instrument! Good price at the moment, too....

Welcome to the madhouse Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrA Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Damn I was already in the Telecaster Madhouse but I think i now have written "I love Westone" on my forehead!! If they all play and sound as does my Rainbow, I want one of each type Very Happy

It is in really good condition and in my opinion is the best looking Thunder!! I just love the black one with the natural centre line wood!
However it is really expensive indeed!!

I like the other one also even though it looks more like a "metal" guitar...it seems to be in very good condition too so that's good...i'll try something on that one i think!

what is the actual "market value" of a thunder IA is there is one??

thanks for advice!
MrA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MrA Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 pm

I also found a black Concorde II-T in mint condition!

Is this the Westone "Stratocaster"??

I searched quite a bit but very difficult to see what they are worth, could anybody give me a price range??

cheers
MrA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi & welcome from another newbie Smile Plenty of wisdom on here, not much from me!

I don't think there's a definitive price list as such. Ebay is the best guide but everything depends on the model, the spec., the condition and -- critically -- who wants it. I think there are still bargains out there (any of the faithful get the Spectrum bass which went for £77 a couple of days back?) but ultimately any guitar is worth what someone is prepared to pay.

It's probably a buyer's market at the mo, due to the recession & all that but some of the Buy it Now prices on the 'bay look on the high side. Saw a lefty Spectrum earlier this evening at (without going back to check) £200.

I try not to see guitars as investments (but will still buy at the right price!) so I guess if you come across something that you have to have, at a price you can afford, there's only one answer....
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrA Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I know but Westones are not the most common guitars on the bay so it's quite difficult to get an iea of prices!

Moreover, I don't know how to search for finished auctions to have an idea of the prices (can anyone help me with this btw)

to be honest : the concord II-T is brand new out of it's box and price is 200€...

The problem is I want a Thunder but Concord or Paduak would be welcome too Laughing

So if I find one of them at a good price why wouldn't I buy it but what is a good price :?:

Anyone experience with the concord II ??
MrA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Oooo, a tele fan too; check out my babies...

Help me find my Thunder I-A DSCN6635

... neither of which are with me at present! (One is being stored with all my other Matts which haven't found babysitters, the other is being thrashed about by a former band members son!) Twisted Evil

I see that GAS has bitten you hard but I'd be waiting to get a feel for the market before bidding on something just 'cause it bears the name! Wait for what you really want to come up because it will at some stage! And yeah, price; well, whatever someone wants to pay for it... Surprised I've just missed a Vantage VS695-12 at US$400 'cause I was too slow on the button (damn, damn, damn!!), so be aware of that too!!

The Concords do seem to be Uncle Matts "strat" but they also seem quite well regarded and popular with the chaps in here; if it's in your price range, have a lash... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

MrA wrote:I know but Westones are not the most common guitars on the bay so it's quite difficult to get an iea of prices!

Moreover, I don't know how to search for finished auctions to have an idea of the prices (can anyone help me with this btw)

Hello Mr. A, Smile

To search for completed listings on eBay you have to be logged in first. Put in a general search for Westone under musical instruments as you would normally, then once you are on the page, click on 'Advanced Search' which is situated to the right of the box which says 'Musical Instruments'. This brings up another page with different options and if you click on 'Completed Listings only' and hit enter, it brings up all the Westones which have been sold over the past few weeks.

There are no hard and fast average prices as they fluctuate so much, although there has been a sudden rise in price lately. Ultimately it boils down to how much you are prepared to pay and how much you desire something. The Concord's appear to be the least popular and therefore seem to fetch lower prices than the higher end spec models.

The black Thunder IA that you linked to in your first post seems to be in really nice condition and from what I can see, (I only had a quick look) looks to be original, and at the current price of £122, would be a nice buy.
Smile

Good luck!
cheers

Pauline
:flower: :queen:

Last edited by Pollyanna on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a bit!)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MrA Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 am

Thanks a lot, this is really good advice!

Thanks Polly cheers I finally can use this thing now!! (I am not such an ebay fan but it is obviously a very interesting tool)

"Market prices" are below what is asked for both the concord and the thunder (these are on some kind of "local" internet sites) so i'll better wait until I find another thunder on the bay!!

I'll write my westone story soon Twisted Evil

cheers
MrA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 am

get the black one, it looks a real beauty!
bobroberts
bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 am

yeah,i would also pick the black one...not only because i would never spend that much (what to hell did the guy smoke???) for a thunder I but also because i think the black one just looks better.
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Just checked the 'bay and the black Thunder 1A went for £166 odd. If you were the purchaser MrA reckon you've got a nice Westone there.
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrA Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am

It's not me!

It was indeed a nice one but as I told you a little too "metal" with jackson and ibanez looks I prefer the older ones + I think pick ups in the older ones are better...

However, If you see another one let me know please!

Cheers
MrA
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Help me find my Thunder I-A DSCN6635OMG.....those are beautiful! Same color as my Corsair/Spectrum II or whatever the heck it is. As you can tell, I am not to "in the know" about Westones, other than mine I bought new around 1989 or so. Now I'll have to add your model and color to my G.A.S. list.
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks; yeah, and they're nice to play as well, a lot faster than a 'real' tele with that lovely Westone neck. The Bendmaster Deluxe are a great bridge; the only snag is that the p'ups are turned on and off with the little switches you can see, which is a bit odd until you get used to it...

They used to be Sky Blue, and you can see the original colour under the trem plate but over the years they have faded to an aquamarine-y teal-y colour which is not unattractive at all! I'm GASsing for a SLM Corsair 1440 in Flouro Pink... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down