The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1984 Heart-shaped prototype??

4 posters

Go down

1984 Heart-shaped prototype?? Empty 1984 Heart-shaped prototype??

Post by Warrn Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Take a look at this thing!! Looks legit! Has SLM tags, even!
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

1984 Heart-shaped prototype?? Empty Re: 1984 Heart-shaped prototype??

Post by corsair Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:09 pm

I dunno; looks a little far out for Westone even allowing for the pointies!! There's a bit on this that just doesn't quite ring true (the EQ/tone control), but at the same time there are bits that do, ie that bridge looks very like the bridge on my Spectrum GT from 1985 and the switching for the p'ups is reminiscent of the 86/87 Clipper's on/off switches. However, I'd need a cast-iron, bullet-proof COA before I'd even countenance making an offer!!

... that scratchplate shape looks familiar but I can't quite place at the moment....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 pm

The scratchplate is reminiscent of a Flying V. As for other things ringing true, check out the neck bolt plate and the Westone script on the headstock. The Phoenix W is missing though, which is odd.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm

I was going to say it looks like the 64 Gibson V scratch plate if it was doubled up. I wonder if the seller could upload a better picture of the neck plate or provide the serial???? (I sent him a request). He said it is from 1984 which rules out Korea and the serial should start with a 4 if they put serials on prototypes. The neck plate should say Westone with the wing logo or I just won't believe it is really a Westone. Man that thing is ugly, I'm glad it was just a prototype. Interesting though.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm surprised it exists at all, as I don't think anyone would ever buy one. The neck plate looks exactly like the one on my Dimension bass, except that the lighting does not make it obvious whether or not there is print on it.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:59 pm

Yeah, I own three Dim IV's and also two Matsumoku made Aria Pro II XX and ZZ models that use the same style neck plate. But I also have a Jay turser SG and an Ovation Celebrity with the same style neck plate. And what are those holes there for??? Early versions of the monkey grip made famous a few years later by Ibanez and Steve Vai??? Who knows, maybe the guitar is lagitamate and Matsumoku was trying something crazy. Well I guess someone in the forum will have to buy it and figure this mystery out. NOT IT!

Last edited by boutjp97 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 am

Well it's not really the style of the neck plate itself which stands out to me, rather it's the specific screws and especially the strap pillar (my vocabulary is failing me on the correct term). It looks EXACTLY like the ones Matsumoku used.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 am

That bridge is what keeps me from denouncing it outright; if you were to make a forgery 'one off', even getting hold of that bridge which is the pre-cursor to the Bendmaster locking trems, and only available in 1984/5 on 1 model of guitar!, would be a nightmare! But regardless, before paying that sort of wedge, there would have to be an unimpeachable COA...

I've had a yarn to one or two people who know LOTS more about this than I, and the general opinion is that someone had SLM build 'em a one-off so it is an SLM but not a Matt...

Last edited by corsair on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info...)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Seller emailed me back saying no serial can be found, which is not a surprise if it is a prototype, and he also uploaded a better pick of the neck plate. Just a plain black plate with no markings. Warrn, I got what you mean about the style of neck plate and that is what I was stating also, Matsumoku used the neck plate with the strap post on it for unbalanced models such as the Dim IV and the aria pro II ZZ an XX series. But I do have a Jay Turser and an Ovation Celebrity with the neck plate with strap post on it. Also a bunch of older V models used that type of plate and even the charvel Randy Rhoads used it. That plate and the bridge as Corsair mentioned definately make it interesting, I wonder if the tunning pegs are westone??? Also note that there are no fret markers. This guitar is an inigma wraped in a riddle and shrouded in a mystery, what I am saying is I have no idea what to think of this thing. I did ask the seller if the tunning machines are westone, if the back of the headstock has any markings and if he is sure of the date of purchase, he is going to hate me if I ask him one more stupid question.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm

I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying so, but I'm not too fussed if Uncle Mat crafted it with his own fair hands, Jimi Hendrix descended on a cloud to play it and it howls like a banshee in labour....

Come on guys, it looks awful! Mad

Back in the 70s some of the worst guitars ever to appear were sported by UK bands like Mud and Slade (Pollyanna --- was Top of the Pops compulsory viewing for you too?) Silly faces, pop guns, random shapes, there was no limit on how tasteless a guitar could look. This looks like one of these IMO. Manufacturers produce one-off prototypes to test new products, materials, techniques etc and, for good reasons, most of these never see the light of day.

I can think of two reasons to buy this. Firstly, if paperwork ever emerges to positively prove that this was a genuine factory prototype, it's going to go up in value. Secondly, it's got a whole load of factory parts which may be worth more than it's purchase price (Not sure on this, might depend on who needs what?)
It could be that someone had an idea to strip a factory guitar straight out of the box, save all the paperwork and had a new radical body carved as a "prototype"

Let's see who buys it. Any money for a new member on here asking "I've just bought this guitar and wonder if.... :?:
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 am

Seller just uploaded picture of the back of headstock at my request. No markings on headstock or tuning machines.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:15 am

I asked David at westone.info what he thought about it, and his opinion is that it was a custom guitar made by SLM for whoever the original owner is. He says the fact that there is only one of them makes it less likely to be a prototype as normally several would be made. In any case, though it's not likely to be a true Westone, it's still closely related.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:29 am

norfolkngood wrote:

Come on guys, it looks awful! Mad

I've got to agree, it is absolutely hideous! affraid

norfolkngood wrote:... Back in the 70s some of the worst guitars ever to appear were sported by UK bands like Mud and Slade (Pollyanna --- was Top of the Pops compulsory viewing for you too?)

Oh yes!

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ I remember standing in front of the telly at half seven every Thursday night waiting for my favourite 'stars' to appear on TOTP! Mud, Slade, T.Rex and dare I say? David Cassidy, David Essex, Alvin Stardust, (Shane Fenton, as was), amongst all the other 'glam' rock stars of that era! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
I remember my Dad saying that he couldn't understand why I listened to that 'trash', it wasn't 'proper' music!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Saddest part of all, I have been known to echo his very words to my own kids!
affraid What goes around, comes around! lol!

It will be interesting to see who does buy it!
Rolling Eyes

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Well, somebody has bid on it finally.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 am

£350, or thereabouts, kiddies - someone wanted it!! Shocked
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 am

Well, there was only one bid on it, so it went for the opening price of $499 + shipping. I will be very disappointed if it doesn't show up in a glam revival band. Laughing
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:56 am

It wasn't me! No

I'm
waiting for someone to show up here to say that they have bought it. It
should make for an interesting discussion if that does happen!
Smile

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down