The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hee hee; I have a new project...

+6
IanO
Sgt. Vimes
mortarman120gang11c
Barry
hoax
corsair
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

hee hee; I have a new project... - Page 2 Empty Re: hee hee; I have a new project...

Post by Westbone Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:28 am

Just a thought! seeing as it's a single pup guitar.

I'd go with a Tonerider Generator pup. Plenty guts but splits nicely.
Could maybe have a series/parallel mini switch in the wee hole and a coil split on the volume. Plenty usefull sounds there.

Alternatively stick some flashing lights on it Christmas is coming....santa

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

hee hee; I have a new project... - Page 2 Empty Re: hee hee; I have a new project...

Post by Westbone Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:57 am

Couple of Toneriders going into this fine instrument.
hee hee; I have a new project... - Page 2 6yz6tz
hee hee; I have a new project... - Page 2 B68036
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Strewth.... haven't updated this at all!!

Well, a Tonerider ACII went into the hole and looks the part! I decided to put the tone pot where the output jack was and out a series/split/parallel switch where the tone pot hole is, which I did after sourcing a very expensive on/on/on switch from DiMarzio, and so far it's looking good! 

The neck's not back from the painter yet - I've decided to have the wings and ribbons painted on and that the headstock colour should match the body. I also told Hans that there was no rush at all in the hope that he'll continue to be nice to me when it comes time to settle up!

I also got a little sheet of 2mm black acrylic sheet and made a couple of TRC, one of which has been engraved correctly - the original was engraved with Dad's name at 90° to the way I wanted it done....

New Kluson Fender modern style string trees and a set of Jinho locking tuners round out the mods.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:24 am

Neck's back and installed - once again, Hans did me proud and this time, he didn't even charge me!?! He said it was because he didn't finish the job the way we had agreed, but I think it was because he's a good bloke...

Whacked on the tuners, string trees and TRC, sanded down the bare wood on the back of the neck down to 2000 grit and blended the transition areas in and bolted it up. Put on the strings that came off it - I neglected to get a new nut so need to do that - just to hear what the Tonerider sounded like... tuned it up.... then turned on the amp.

Wow!! What a noise! The series/split/parallel is actually quite a subtle change, but it does change the sound appreciably with no apparent loss of volume... something that surprised me given that the impedance readings varied wildly!!

Very, very muscular, meaty sound that is clear and bell-like unaffected, through a clean amp but it dirties up just fine. Modern, scooped middish distortion is not this pickups forté but that classic overdrive-y sound will be a doddle to sort out, and the sort of cleans that Peter Green is famous for should also be easily obtainable; excellent!! Very, very pleased with the pickup and the switching and I love the look of the colour-matched headstock with the medal ribbons painted on - happy boy here!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 am

Well done you. I never would have thought that the output would be sufficient. Gotta be the Tone Rider.

Now...PIX?! bounce

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2