The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups?

5 posters

Go down

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? Empty Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups?

Post by anaerobe Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I recently found two area 58's for a great price on the local Kijijii market here in my town. I was surprised by the tone and clarity when I put them in my Aria Pro II RS Special V (1982). Absolutely quiet (as they are stacked coils), and beautiful chime and quack (position 2 and 4 in the 5-way switch). It really brightened up this guitar, and highly recommend them. By far my favourite current "single-coil" replacement. I always liked the feel of this strat style instrument with its maple neck, but found the tone quite dark with the stock coils... At the risk of sacriledge, I must say, its easier to get great tones too. Best find for me since I bought a couple of Electrovoice sp12 alnico 12" speakers for my cab.

Area 58 are noiseless 4 wire pups - model number is dp415.

Anyone else on this board ever try these or any other of the Area pups by Dimarzio? I'd be interested to find out what your impressions are.

anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? Empty Re: Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups?

Post by Iceman Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Pictures, sir... we need pictures of the instrument in question. Twisted Evil

...sheesh!
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? Empty Re: Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups?

Post by anaerobe Mon May 28, 2012 8:36 pm

OK.. will take a couple this evening.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 am

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? IMG00202-20120528-2127

The AP II RS special V is the red one on the right. Beside that is my Westie. Very Happy

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? IMG00200-20120528-2126

Close shot of the Dimarzios. Area 58/Area 58/Vintage vintage Pro 54

Does anyone use DiMarzio "Area" pups? IMG00199-20120528-2126

Headstock.

The original Q still stands... anyone try 'em except myself?

P.S. The white tolex cab on the left has an Electrovoice SP 12 mounted beside an Eminence Man o War. The EV was mfg in 1956... has a huge alnico magnet. Cool

Last edited by anaerobe on Tue May 29, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue May 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Nice gear Ian. Good to see you again.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue May 29, 2012 1:04 pm

two lovely guitars right there, the Aria looks very concordy, what model is the westie? any chance of a closer look at the finish on that? looks beautiful
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm

nevermind, i see the headstock now....x70
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks all... good to be back here. I have missed this place.

The Aria is very Concordy - I've owned it for two years - its a tremendous (if not gaudy) guitar Very Happy ... I always keep my eyes peeled for a Concord but they are rare around my 'berg.

The Westie is indeed an 1986 X70.... another favourite. I don't know if he'll recall but it was John's (yes our Corsair) goading that led me to buy it a number of years ago. I keep the stock neck pickup because it is one of the sweetest single coils I have ever heard. No markings on the back of the pup, but I do know that its stock Mats equipment. My kids love the Westie above all in my small collection. The grain in the X70 is chaotic - three pieces form the body. I will try to get more pics up. My "camera" is my Blackberry cell, so the quality sucks. What a Face
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

anaerobe wrote:Thanks all... good to be back here. I have missed this place.

The Aria is very Concordy - I've owned it for two years - its a tremendous (if not gaudy) guitar Very Happy ... I always keep my eyes peeled for a Concord but they are rare around my 'berg.

The Westie is indeed an 1986 X70.... another favourite. I don't know if he'll recall but it was John's (yes our Corsair) goading that led me to buy it a number of years ago. I keep the stock neck pickup because it is one of the sweetest single coils I have ever heard. No markings on the back of the pup, but I do know that its stock Mats equipment. My kids love the Westie above all in my small collection. The grain in the X70 is chaotic - three pieces form the body. I will try to get more pics up. My "camera" is my Blackberry cell, so the quality sucks. What a Face

yes please more pics of the X70!! that wood looks beautiful!
btw... there are no pics of that model on the westone site, so make some good ones!

i want one of those X70's! it is one of the two spectrum models i have not acquired for myself yet. (the other is the "S")
if you ever want to trade it for a concord i can fix you right up!

i have two of those Aria Pro II RS, one is a Classic (sss) in deep metallic red, with gold trim. rosewood fretboard, 5-way sw, vol, tone, tone, and 2 p/p's. the other is just marked RS Series (HH), 3-tone burst and maple fretboard, 3-way sw, vol, tone w/ p/p for coil split. both are great playing, great sounding guitars. i like em both quite a bit. Very Happy
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:...btw... there are no pics of that model on the westone site..
Um, actually there is: X70
..but I didn't link it correctly when building the site Embarassed
I'll tuck it under the Spectrum listing when I get a moment. Meantime you can find it using the site Search function.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down