The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative

+4
corsair
caucajun
Sgt. Vimes
Chappers
8 posters

Go down

Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative Empty Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative

Post by Chappers Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm looking for a compressor pedal for use with a bass guitar and was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap alternatives to the BOSS one?
Chappers
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative Empty Re: Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm

personally I wouldnt bother with a pedal, I'd much rather use a rack 'studio' compressor, much the same effect but way more control.....if you do go down this route, be sure to avoid the Alesis 3630, its a dog.
Ive had good use from Behringers Composer, a low end but ultimately useable rackmount, but for choice I use an LA Audio GCX2...has 2 nice gates on too Smile

just a thought
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative Empty Re: Compressor Pedal - Cheap Alternative

Post by caucajun Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Cool actually........................the BOSS comp is one of the few i DO like..........particularly the early CS-3 w/ the DBX chip.

these can be found reasonably cheaply. $30 or so used. Suspect

Ccjn
caucajun
caucajun

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 am

Yeah, me too...the CS3 does everything that I want from a compressor....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 am

if you like to DIY, you could try this book. Electronic Projects For Musicians

i have built nearly every project in the book and they are excellent.

the compressor project sounds great, it is the only one i have ever used, for over 20 years.

actually there are 3 projects i built that i still use in my setup all the time - preamp, compressor, tube fuzz

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix link)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 pm

I like the old DBX 163 overeasy. One slider - MORE<->LESS. It can't be easier! Check Craigslist. The 160 and 166 are great too and can be cheap.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:46 pm

colt933 wrote:I like the old DBX 163 overeasy. One slider - MORE<->LESS. It can't be easier! Check Craigslist. The 160 and 166 are great too and can be cheap.

agreed, the dbx 160 and 166 are great, but they somewhat colour the sound, slightly warm/muddy....hard to put a finger on it, sound superb though Smile
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:
colt933 wrote:I like the old DBX 163 overeasy. One slider - MORE<->LESS. It can't be easier! Check Craigslist. The 160 and 166 are great too and can be cheap.

agreed, the dbx 160 and 166 are great, but they somewhat colour the sound, slightly warm/muddy....hard to put a finger on it, sound superb though Smile

I think the word you're looking for is 'analog'.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 pm

I use 3 compressor pedals... I use an old Korg one in my practice gig set up for playing bass. I like the Boss for guitar or just lying around, and my all time favorite is my old Ross compressor.... nothing compares to it....

For Cheap alternative... A DIY kit of a clone Ross compressor would be the best way to go in my opinion...
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm

MXR Dyna-Comp

30 - 40 bucks used.

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down