The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those Scoop fans

+3
hobster
Barry
Phormlyss
7 posters

Go down

For those Scoop fans Empty For those Scoop fans

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 pm

I thought this one looked nice - never saw it in this finish:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/169-down-layaway-option-Rare-Alvarez-Dana-scoop-90s-guitar-/360428024040?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eb2f30e8
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

For those Scoop fans Empty Re: For those Scoop fans

Post by Phormlyss Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 am

I've seen a couple in that finish. The body is sugar maple with a flamed maple top. They all had tri-buckers as far as I know. So did that one apparently, but someone got a custom pickup cover and threw a humbucker in it, looks like they may have drilled new screw holes into the body for it. Mad
Phormlyss
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 am

'Bin a long time since I've seen one of these. And I'm getting the same queasy feeling that I got last time about that scoop. Just doesn't look stable does it? Shocked

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Barry wrote:'Bin a long time since I've seen one of these. And I'm getting the same queasy feeling that I got last time about that scoop. Just doesn't look stable does it? Shocked

Ha, thats exactely the same thoughts that went thru my head. That and sustain, how the heck do they sustain? I won't comment on how i feel about the look either, since Chad reminded me not to say anything if you have nothing nice to say! Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm

hobster wrote:
Barry wrote:'Bin a long time since I've seen one of these. And I'm getting the same queasy feeling that I got last time about that scoop. Just doesn't look stable does it? Shocked

Ha, thats exactely the same thoughts that went thru my head. That and sustain, how the heck do they sustain? I won't comment on how i feel about the look either, since Chad reminded me not to say anything if you have nothing nice to say! Very Happy

I read somewhere that the scoop adds sustain. I'm not sure how, but I think that was the intent of the design.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 pm

ew!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm

sarcaster wrote:... I read somewhere that the scoop adds sustain. I'm not sure how, but I think that was the intent of the design.
I'm sure there's some solid design theory behind it but still...looks vaguely reminiscent of a Klingon death sword. Rolling Eyes

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Barry wrote:
sarcaster wrote:... I read somewhere that the scoop adds sustain. I'm not sure how, but I think that was the intent of the design.
I'm sure there's some solid design theory behind it but still...looks vaguely reminiscent of a Klingon death sword. Rolling Eyes

It surely doesn't look safe - not my style but for those who hail the 80's it is unique
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That looks like a nice one.

As a Scoop owner, I can tell you that they rock. If'n you like late 80s shredder guitars, which I do.

What puts me off on this one is the non-original bridge pickup situation.

...as I understand it, the gap is supposed to add to sustain because it allows more torsion between bridge and nut at an important vibration node.

True? Dunno. Pickup hotness and amp have lots to do with sustain, too...my best-sustaining guitar might well be my Vantage X-77. Or my Kammerer Walnut solidbody.
But it does have a real nice sweetness of tone, and you can hear it unplugged. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself.

But it is an engineering marvel, in my book. Unique in guitar making history, and patented...and no one is making them anymore.

So I'm happy with the ones I have. The starting price is too high for non-original configuration in my opinion, but maybe someone else disagrees. The beauty of eBay....
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:51 am

Yep, non original bridge pickup (does it say Jackson?! hmmm Suspect not so much an upgrade then... ). Sure is a beautiful color though!

As Hobster reminds, I won't say it looks like somebody had an accident with a saw. Very Happy
It does look like a Klingon weapon Barry! 👽 Star Trek rules anyway, so that is a high compliment.

Want to get my hands on one. Just to feel it. Looks a LOT like the Westone Dana III (below), which the Scoop used as its base. Check out the design of the Westone Dana III Ltd., shown on the left (obvious for most of us) along with my Dynasty and the Spectrum FX.

For those Scoop fans 100_2910

So any Scoop fans have the Westone Dana to thank. cheers
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Looking at the angle of the upper and lower bout, I think even the Dana III design can be seen as an outgrowth of the Corsair.

Does anyone else see that?
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Say it like you see it, thats ugly, but of course made to a very high specification and design.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Same finish - but origina pUPs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alvarez-Dana-Scoop-Tri-Force-Triple-Humbucker-/200706989397?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ebb119d55

I'm thinking I might get one of these one day just to see how it is with that giant scoop - would have to be cheap though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down