The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever sorted out your CDs?

+3
Warrn
corsair
grogg
7 posters

Go down

Ever sorted out your CDs? Empty Ever sorted out your CDs?

Post by grogg Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:41 pm

I did and this is what I was left with, the empty cases or CDs without a case.
Ever sorted out your CDs? Cd_hom10
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Ever sorted out your CDs? Empty Re: Ever sorted out your CDs?

Post by corsair Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Ahhhhh..... No! We went digital - iTunes - many years ago and I haven't even touched a CD for years, for just the reason you're now illustrating!!

I LOLLed....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Me too but had 3 disc crashes and lost the lot so had to re-create. Dont trust itunes tho, prefer to buy the CD and go from there.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Odd, isn't it..... We've been dealing with iTunes for donkeys ages and had no problems at all, though now we're getting movies there as well, there may be some teething problems!!

I will also admit to using emule and lime wire once or twice...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll stick to CDs. I will never give Apple money. Ever.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:30 pm

That's 'cause your as tight as Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:40 pm

I took advantage of the knpaster days and have loads of bootlegs, unreleased and all the normal stuff as well - I know you can still get full albums now from some sites - but the old days you could find some real rare stuff.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Can't roll a joint on an mp3.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 pm

westcoaster wrote:Can't roll a joint on an mp3.
I'm shocked and appalled! (but true) What a Face

Actually boyz, by embracing MP3 you are contributing to the continuing dilution of sound fidelity. Because of the severe compression involved a lot of the subtle dynamics of the original recording are lost. In this sense CD's are superior in terms of "content". Digitized but not necessarily compressed, although they can be "cold" sounding at times.

Of course nothing beats good 'ole analogue vinyl for warmth, realism and dynamics, which is why you are seeing a resurgence of a sort. The problem of course is degradation and noise...ditto tape.

MP3 is a good medium for casual or non-critical listening but if you wish to embrace the best in modern technology right now, it's BlueRay. Partly because of it's capacity and speed there is no need for compression so you hear everything. Really the best of the old and new with no loss of sound quality.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:44 am

That's probably very true, Barry, but in the defence of mp3, m4a and the other digital music formats, the convenience and durability of the form is what gives it it's charm. I've bought my entire music library around the world with me on an iPod, something like 1500 albums, and I couldn't have done that any other way, certainly not with records!!

I was an audiophile for many years in NZ until I realised that I was becoming an anorak, and was buying equipment that was stupidly expensive which, in reality, was no better than whatever it was I was replacing! I also realised that I wasn't actually listening to,the music anymore....

I realise that there's some degradation of sound quality due to the heavy compression involved, but - and this comes back to the whole high fidelity thing with guitar sound, too - in the real world, where you do your listening, I would be surprised in anyone could tell the difference between a well recorded mp3 and anything else. With a £500 set of headphones and a set up costing many thousands of pounds, then maybe, just maybe....

Bluray, huh.... don't know much about it, only that the players are way more expensive than most other digital devices!

And Warrn, I'd rather fund Apple than Microsoft!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:00 am

Talking of expensive headphones.
Noticed that Westone brand headphones cost a good few quid.

Back to music. I find that Spotify is like a giant jukebox, very usefull and a good archive source too.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 am

corsair wrote:And Warrn, I'd rather fund Apple than Microsoft!! Laughing
Bill Gates runs a charity, Steve Jobs was well known for being anything but charitable. Also, Microsoft's products don't constantly malfunction on me. Razz I do have two iPods, but my Shuffle was free and my Touch was bought second hand for $100, so I've still managed to avoid ever giving Apple money. Also, both of them malfunction. Randomly and regularly.

In any case, as much as I'd love to have vinyl records, I generally buy CDs, rip them, store them away, and listen to them as mp3s. I can't afford to buy a decent sound system to hear the uncompressed glory.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:14 am

Alas, my love of affraid LOUD affraid music, working in a machine shop environment and the fact that I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember prevents me from benefiting from expensive sound equipment.

A very good friend of mine is a serious audiophile. He has invested literally MANY 10'$ of 1,000'$ of $$$'s in the very best of turntables, tube amplifiers, preamplifiers, speakers.... you name it. When he built his house more time was spent (and $$$'s again) in the minutiae of specifications of his music listening room than almost anything else. He actually had a second lower level excavated beneath his basement for it. When my wife and I first were over before the housewarming party he took me down there to experience how wonderfully it had been planned out and executed.

I had to cheerfully nod my head and several white lies escaped my lips in that episode. While I am admittedly not an ideal testbed to make a judgement on it, I can say my Denon CD player and the pair of AKG's my wife uses when monitoring were about 98% of the way to meeting what my buddy spent oodles and oodles trying to achieve.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Sorry to 'hear' that Steve. I'm suffering with it as well.
Not sure what part was band induced, and which was just, um, old age. I can also remember attending a few extremely loud concerts and suffering for days afterwards, so I guess every exposure has taken a toll.

It began creeping up on me about 4-5 years ago, starting with a low rushing sound then developing into a constant whining. Makes it difficult to get to sleep in a quiet room at times. No cure neither. Very frustrating. My sympathies to any affected.

Back on topic: Yeah. Last Christmas I ran into the same thing as Grogg only not as acutely. Not only were discs in the wrong cases, some of the discs had simply disappeared altogether. A check of the players proved empty.

No idea how that happens but there's some kinky relationship going on with my missing socks I'm thinkin'.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am

Very sorry to "hear about" your developing condition as well. I suppose I can claim some small measure of fortune in my case as I truly have had it as long as I have been around and because of such I have to concentrate on it to be bothered by it. We all have been given at least one "thorn in our side" to keep us humble, at least that is my personal belief.

My CD's (getting back on point as well) are mostly gone now, but as a result of selling them off several years back during a string of successive leaner years.

Took in over 800 of them to my nearby location of a larger chain of pawnshops here in Minnesota. Did pretty well too. The manager looked throught the first 2 dozen of so and made a comment that he had never seen so many in a row without a scratch on them. Going rate at the time on selling them was $1.50 apiece, $2.00 if the condition good. Had he not known I was an acquaintance and friend of the owner I suspect he would have been thinking they were hot.

I immediately made him a wager that if he found the rest in the same condition I would get $3.50 for each, if even one was found not so he would pay me $1.50 per for the lot.

...he foolishly agreed...

I walked out with abit more than $2800 (cash money, homeboy) in pocket about 2 hours later. What a Face

Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down