The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay)

+6
Warrn
hobster
TVill25
mortarman120gang11c
Westbone
Iceman
10 posters

Go down

Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay) Empty Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay)

Post by Iceman Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matsumoku-Built-1986-Westone-Pantera-X350-24-fret-electric-guitar-/270860214686?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f1086e19e

Dap9's friend finally surfaced on e(vil)bay. Welcome to the spectacle ....
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay) Empty Re: Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay)

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:13 pm

not for me - not guitars till after christmas. Although maybe my gal will buy it for me for xmas
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay) Empty Re: Alrighty gents, time to cowboy up and suck it in... (x350 on the 'bay)

Post by Westbone Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:49 am

sarcaster wrote:not for me - not guitars till after christmas. Although maybe my gal will buy it for me for xmas

How many 350ma's do you need, you've one already.

Let the bidding wars begin...... affraid Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:08 pm

This will be an interesting one to watch. I like the axe but will watch and see on this one. Good Luck all
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm

having an x390 and a FX makes this interesting What a Face
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:49 pm

No bids yet - Is everyone sniping?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Not me, one's enough. There's only 48 affraid
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Westbone wrote:Not me, one's enough. There's only 48 affraid

yours is very nice, but there has to be a part of ya that wants 2 of the 48. I know I want it - but will not be bidding Smile xmas overrules
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:24 pm

In all seriousness no, ones enough. There's plenty of other guitar I'd like though.

I wonder how many of the x350's have factory active's though???
In fact I've never tried mine without the batteries as it's supposed to be an active tone control and not a boost.
There's no active on/off switch.
Think I'll try it tomorrow see what the difference is ?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Mine's passive - would love to hear a play by play comparrison - WestoneFest?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Still no bids - someone's gotta be reaching for this. Either last minute bid, or behind the scene offers? The one thing I don;t like about this one is in the pics there is a lack of flame showing. That could be lighting an angle, but looks a bit plain compared to others.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 pm

I agree with you about the wood quality Sarc. The cross graining is very noticeable as well and the grain itself seems less fine than yours, Damian's and Mike's.

I am really fighting this one to be honest. I know full well if I dive in I will be committing to a resto that I may have to sink another half or better of the winning price into it to get it where it needs to be. And if the wood quality really is as poor as it appears in the pics, well...
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Iceman wrote:I agree with you about the wood quality Sarc. The cross graining is very noticeable as well and the grain itself seems less fine than yours, Damian's and Mike's.

I am really fighting this one to be honest. I know full well if I dive in I will be committing to a resto that I may have to sink another half or better of the winning price into it to get it where it needs to be. And if the wood quality really is as poor as it appears in the pics, well...

Just to gauge for those into the bid. i think my has a nice flame, but no where near as nice as Westbone's. West's hardware is also healthier looking than mine - in fact I would love to have his guitar and I think his has the active PUP's. That being said, looks aside it is an awesome guitar. Awesome sounding with the passive, very 70's HB mellow type sound. Mine needed a lot of work - refret, new inlays, and planing of the fretboard. So While I think I got a good deal on the guitar, the neck work, which I was not able to do my self put mine at about a grand - and I think it is worth it. I don;t mind dings and scratches - I just want perfect nect and function.

So good luck to the buyer! If ya can snipe it at 500, and clean it up for a few - then that's awesome. If it wasn;t Xmas time, I would bid a bit more now that I am learning do do a lot of this work myself. I would even think of refinishing it (blasphemy towards the purists I know - and I thought of doing it to mine) but how cool would a green or blue flame look on one of these things!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:38 pm

If I could snipe it at $500 I would do it in a half a heartbeat. Unfortunately $500 is only his starting price and I would bet the reserve has to be at least a grand or better on this one.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Iceman wrote:If I could snipe it at $500 I would do it in a half a heartbeat. Unfortunately $500 is only his starting price and I would bet the reserve has to be at least a grand or better on this one.

Probably true.

But how cool would it to see the flame in a new colour> Oh yeah
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Iceman wrote:If I could snipe it at $500 I would do it in a half a heartbeat. Unfortunately $500 is only his starting price and I would bet the reserve has to be at least a grand or better on this one.

Exactley. I'd snag that baby for 5 bills anyday even though its almost Christmas and i'd have to sleep in the shed for a few days. I'm sure the reserve is way up there. No bids yet - but you know it will get bids sooner or later.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Westbone wrote:In all seriousness no, ones enough. There's plenty of other guitar I'd like though.

I wonder how many of the x350's have factory active's though???
In fact I've never tried mine without the batteries as it's supposed to be an active tone control and not a boost.
There's no active on/off switch.
Think I'll try it tomorrow see what the difference is ?

Tried it without the batteries, no go, dead as.
Also had a good look inside at the guts. The tone control is a dual (stacked) potentiometer.
The only other one I've heard about is the one in the reveiw.
http://www.westoneguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Pantera-X350MA.jpg
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Surprised at how negative the review is for the X790, but the way it's described sounds like I need one...
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulS Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am

Warrn wrote:Surprised at how negative the review is for the X790, but the way it's described sounds like I need one...

Also surprised to read the stats on the X790 - 10lbs in weight with a thick neck. I had believed it to be lightweight and with a skinnier neck!

I would also love to find out - still looking!
PaulS

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 am

I hereby concurr with you all. I'd seen this thing as soon as it was posted and was waiting to see who noticed! $500 starting bid with reserve = lotsa money as Ice said! Looks like a great playable 350, but I'm not going after it either.

As a testament to the durability of these instruments, the "skip across the dance floor" seems not to have bothered the guitar at all?! Nice.

Somebody treat yourself to this thing! Just buy it for your Wife as a Christmas gift. Laughing
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:39 pm

He's got some new pics that show a bit more of the flame. I thought it looked a bit plain at first, but the flame sometimes needs the right angle in photos. I emailed the guy to offer on the original PUP covers, but he says he will include in the guitar purchase, anyway one is good and one is faded in the new pics. I still ain't going for it before xmas, but if I didn;t have one already I would really like to know what his reserve is, and then maybe the paycheck after xmas i would do it. And if I did do it, i know it will kill the purists, But I would sand it down and make a new 350MA colour out of it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 pm

I wonder if he is trying to generate interest with the questions he is posting and replying to in the auction listing. Check this out...

Q: Hello, I have been on a few westone/matsumoku message boards where people are claiming to have had contact with you about ending the auction early. I am not asking you to end the auction early because that is a violation of ebay rules on my part although you don't have a bid yet so you certainly are within the rules should you choose to end your auction. I am asking that if you do decide to end the auction please email me and let me have a crack at the guitar. I am watching your auction and plan on making a bid if the guitar stays in the range that I am willing to pay. I already own 2 of the 48 made and sure would like 3. Hopefully those guys on the message boards are just blowing smoke but I just wanted to be sure I get a chance at it just in case they are not. Thanks. Dec-01-11

A: I've had several interesting emails during this auction. The auction will run to the end. I updated pictures to show factory case and pickup covers. This guitar is a real keeper, I just have way too much gear. Thanks for the interest.

I am on any and all boards/forums that could reasonably be called Westone/Matsumoku and haven't seen any of that. D'ya think he is making that up or...

Anybody here going for their 3rd x350 and care to 'fess up now?

[i]
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 pm

I'll admit to one of the interesting emails he got. I asked to buy the pickup covers since mine don;t have the W anymore. I did also suggest that he put better pics up showing the flame. Who here has 2? Westy?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 pm

sarcaster wrote:I'll admit to one of the interesting emails he got. I asked to buy the pickup covers since mine don;t have the W anymore. I did also suggest that he put better pics up showing the flame. Who here has 2? Westy?

I did see that Sarc and assumed it was you. I only posted the longer one as it seems to hype things quite a bit and rings as not true as written.

And unless I am totally mistaken, i really doubt that is Damian by any stretch of one's imagination.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:14 pm

no worries - I ain't bidding- but if it is still up after tax return time then game on folks - I want to strip one down and add some colour!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 am

I'm not normally one to be a purist, but every time you mention stripping it Sarc, I cringe. Neutral And who needs to own three of these? That's just greedy. Let somebody else have their dream guitar, whoever you are! Smile
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:16 am

Warrn wrote:I'm not normally one to be a purist, but every time you mention stripping it Sarc, I cringe. Neutral And who needs to own three of these? That's just greedy. Let somebody else have their dream guitar, whoever you are! Smile

I completely agree with you buddy, with EVERYTHING you said!!! cheers Is Sarc reading this?... Laughing
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:33 am

I only have one of them, but a second would look really nice (and original) with a nice green or blue stain Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 am

sarcaster wrote:I only have one of them, but a second would look really nice (and original) with a nice green or blue stain Smile

But there's so few out there, have mercy man!!!

Says Sarc to a 350ma while holding a pail of stain: "... say hello to my leetle friend!" affraid Razz
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Repeating myself here but I still think that long winded question is just a lot of wind...
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm

My contribution to this was the question concerning the original pickup covers. I am watching this one and it is interesting but will abstain from this one. I do believe that his reserve is a bit higher and will watch to see if it sells. Good Luck to all. Arthur
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 pm

sarcaster wrote:I'll admit to one of the interesting emails he got. I asked to buy the pickup covers since mine don;t have the W anymore.

Drop me your address on a PM sark, you never know what Farther Christmas may bring Surprised

sarcaster wrote:no worries - I ain't bidding- but if it is still up after tax return time then game on folks - I want to strip one down and add some colour!

I'm with you sarc Twisted Evil except as you probably know, the factory tinted the clear lacquer & sprayed the burst with a clear coat over to finish.
Mind warn would probably kick ass & rightly so I guess.

Iceman wrote:I wonder if he is trying to generate interest with the questions he is posting and replying to in the auction listing.

Now about those wallet moths, could it be time to let them fly Steve Cool :?: Very Happy

mortarman120gang11c wrote: I am watching this one and it is interesting but will abstain from this one. I do believe that his reserve is a bit higher and will watch to see if it sells. Good Luck to all. Arthur

All agreed, I recon we're better off out of this Arthur Very Happy

fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Could'nt help myself - threw a bid in there. More than I paid for my 350 and reserve is still not met. So I am currently high bidder, but won't get it. I really want this, but won't up my bid, unless a serious amount of beer is involved while I have access to the internet. And if I win, I think I'll be single the day after receiveing it Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Well this one is still haunting me in the back of my mind and the Westone Egas keeps whispering Go for it, Go for it. It's getting down to the wire now and I do not wish to start a bid war between friends here so if anyone has this one in mind please PM me so we can discuss it further. I want it to find a good home with a forum member that will enjoy and share it's beauty. Ain't Westone Egas a blast. Hope to hear from all as there is only 16hrs or so left. I may not reach his reserve but would like to give it a shot. thanks Arthur
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Well, fine then, I placed a bid.... I hope you jackals are all happy now. Laughing

I'm thinking that the seller thinks he has more guitar than it's condition offers, to my eye at least.

26 bids, it is over a grand... and the reserve still has not been met??? Suspect

Thanks, but no thanks... No
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 pm

I agree Ice that reserve at that price is unreasonable. I'm just glad my bid didn;t win or my lady woulda killed me.

Mortar = I know you are just getting into the westone thing, and wish you could take this as it is the BIGGY, but I think the price it is at right now is more than it;s worth IMO
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks but at that orbital range I am outa ammo. Thanks and I think we may see this one again a few more times maybe as I do not think he will reach the reserve.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I May have to refocus on the PRS guitars ( the best guitars IMO ) as these 80's Japanesse guitars are getting very high priced. time to focuse on the the early EG America guitars.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:16 am

Iceman wrote:
sarcaster wrote:I'll admit to one of the interesting emails he got. I asked to buy the pickup covers since mine don;t have the W anymore. I did also suggest that he put better pics up showing the flame. Who here has 2? Westy?

I did see that Sarc and assumed it was you. I only posted the longer one as it seems to hype things quite a bit and rings as not true as written.

And unless I am totally mistaken, i really doubt that is Damian by any stretch of one's imagination.

No that is not me old chaps.
Like I stated one's enough for me. There's alot of other guitars I'd buy before another x350ma. at these prices.
Something like a Silvertone 1429. cyclops
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

I actually opened the bidding on this one at way under the reserve just to feel it out. Man it went up quick, over a grand with 40 minutes left. Way too high reserve, maybe the seller will get lucky and get what he wants because of a bidding war, but i hope not. Its gonna be expensive!!
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Ended at a little over a grand and didn't meet reserve. Lame. I think a thousand dollar reserve is plenty for as banged up as she is- i guess he doesn't really want to sell it.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I realize there is probably no single method for setting a reserve that would satisfy everone, but let's have a little bit of common sense here.

For the sake of the arguement we could assume he probably thought that guitar was worth more than either of the x390's that sold recently for $157?.00 and $1850 just in the past few days. I am sure we here bear a healthy share of any "blame" for this based on how we all hold the x350 in our opinions as one of the top models, if not THE top model. So let's just say he felt it was worth $1650. If he set the reserve at maybe 85% of that we are talking about $1400 or thereabouts, 'kay?

Starting the auction at only $500 then? That is just ridiculous. I can state fairly confidently that a $1200 bid still could not have met his reserve so I do not think I am all that far off base.

Of course he might have gotten lucky and landed his white whale at that auction too. Make no mistake, I will continue to pursue this model until I get one. I'm just not ready to abandon my good sense and self-respect doing so.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:54 pm

+1
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down