The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here.....

+3
mortarman120gang11c
Iceman
gittarasaurus
7 posters

Go down

another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Empty another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here.....

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm

i just got this nice Vantage guitar the other day and i cannot identify exactly what model guitar this one is. it has some pickups like i haven't seen before and i wonder has anyone here seen one like this?

from the readings i get from the ohm meter, it seems that the middle and neck pickups may be double coil pickups. the switches appear to be replacements but it looks like the guitar was originally set up with 3 switches. installed now are 3 (mismatched) ON-OFF-ON switches, one for each pickup to select: single coil-off-double coil. 2 of the 3 switches do not work correctly due to incorrect wiring of the replacement switches, the humbucker is only on off and the neck pickup is only on in one position. i am going to replace the switches with 3 that match and then rewire for correct operation.

i'm not sure if this is the original neckplate

the headstock looks like there was a sticker on the back. not sure if it from a label or some junk the previous owner had stuck on there. gotoh tuners, not vantage branded so probably replacements too

aside from some damage to the strap button and the bottom edge and the wiring issues, the guitar is very nice.

anybody know what model this guitar is?another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... 9kz9gw
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... E8ase8
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... J8ixho
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... C17pqq
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... 6p9dre
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... 45ztgs
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Empty Re: another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here.....

Post by Iceman Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Have you considered posting over at the Matsumoku forums? Plenty of help will be available there. To my limited eye it appears to be an Avenger variant.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Empty Re: another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here.....

Post by mortarman120gang11c Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:40 pm

I have the same guitar in the metallic/smoke gray color and it is a great player and is a heavy one to boot. I am still researching it also but it does favor the Avenger models very much. Scored mine from a local Pawn shop for $25 but it needed a very laborous cleaning and setup to bring back it's beauty again. I will try to post some pics in the next day or so. Nice Axe you have.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Thats interesting, it sure looks Avengerish but the body is a tad bit different from the Avengers. Like Ice said, the Matsumoku forum should be helpful, they are quite knowledgeable over there. Odd pickup covers as well. It is possible its a Vantage neck on a non Vantage body. Especially if the neck plate isn't original, didn't the Avengers all have the V symbol on the neck plate?
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Looks to be either a re-issue Avenger, or a post-Matt Korean as I'm pretty sure the Matt Avengers were never available in h/s/s... But then, I've been wrong before!!

Regardless, it looks primo, man; I like it!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:18 pm

I am not certain but tend to agree that at least the one I have is most likely Korean. Still a very nice Korean build.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Not seeing the pictures.

I am a little bit of a Vantage expert.

If it looks 80s/pointy at all, it is probably a MIK resurrection of the Vantage name.

Most of their models had obvious wood grain under transparent stains, but not all. If it had a trem, however, it was ONLY 6-screw vintage trems. Some TOMs, but mostly hardtail (non-trem Fender style) bridges.

I'll take a look at this after I get home from work, in case the pictures were blocked by the work LAN.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Now that I can see the pictures, I still think it is a MIK resurrection of the name.

There are some MIJ that are close, but still no HSS:
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4985

Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm

In the words of Alfred E. Newman (sic) "Hooooo boy! Me likee!!"

Nice and heavy, eh? Ahhhhh..... the memories.....love these axes...wish I still had my Avenger variant. bounce

Hey! Could you post a pic of the back of the neck near the headstock - I'll bet there's no scarf joint, yes? What a Face
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 pm

C'mon buddy! Inquiring minds..!!!!
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm

unless you have X-ray vision Suspect and can see thru the red metal-flake finish, there is nothing to see on the back of the neck .
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:25 pm

and just in case somebody does...... 👽
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Jwpwhz
another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Hxwbf8
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Well bear with me. The reason I mention it - I had a MIK 1987/1988 Vantage with a clearcoated maple neck. NO SCARF JOINT. The tall foreheads over at the Mats site hemmed and hawed and decreed that it was a MIK likely... (no big surprise in the case of my guitar because of the lack of MIJ stamping on the backplate) however it may have been assembled with a MIJ neck. Theories abound.

Bottom line is what you will hear many of "us" say (right John): MIK or MIJ, this guitar is sweet; a keeper. The nonscarfed neck would have simply added some weight to the argument.

Ian

anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:31 pm

no offense intended sunny

just having fun, it is all like a detective operation trying to figure out where these wonderful guitars come from. i do appreciate all the input from anyone who takes the time to comment here.

bottom line is: she plays nice and sounds great. this one is definitely a keeper.

a few more details about this little honey.....
i have discovered the wiring seems to be correct to 2 of the 3 switches. the humbucker switch was the wrong type and the problem with the neck pickup is in the pickup itself.
in the picture of the bottom strap button you can see it was jammed into the wood with considerable force. well, i also discovered that the wood at the base of the neck pocket was broken too, most likely in the same incident. that shock to the guitar seems to have broken loose one of the leads inside the neck pickup.
the best thing i discovered is that the pickup not wax potted, and is indeed a double wound pickup. there were 4 wires coming off the bobbin. i could read 2 distinctly separate coils, but i could not see how the coils were wound together. the ohm meter readings were different for each winding, (i didn't record them on paper, but i will have to open it again to try to effect a functional repair at a later time.)

another 'what is this guitar?' question, Vantage experts needed here..... Zxo3rl
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Absolutely; I have 3 MIKs - AFAIK! - and like them all very much!! The SP1012 is fast becoming my go-to guitar; whilst the rest I have here are broken down into their constituent bits, the Spectrum II is still on the stand in one piece! Even the Pantera is packed away!!

I have discovered that I can play "Satch Boogie" on the SP1012 reasonably well, but appallingly on everything else... why is that?! Laughing Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down