The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side

+2
hobster
bowenjaybee
6 posters

Go down

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side Empty A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Today I had the pleasure of an afternoon with my old mates 1998 Gibson 335 Dot and doing a side by side comparison with my Westone Rainbow 1.

The build quality of the Rainbow 1 is by no means inferior, Weight-wise both guitars are almost identical and the necks feel pretty much the same to me.

Through an amp the Gibson was slightly louder, had a little more bite and sounded dirtier than the brighter sounding Rainbow 1.

I took some (not very good) photos

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 0410
A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 0110
A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 0310
A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 0210

When my friend (Martin) took the Gibson home I wasn't left with any thoughts of "oooh I really want a Gibson now", more like I feel very lucky and happy to own a Westone Rainbow 1

It would have been nice to have played around with the 335 a bit more but Martin had also brought with him a Rickenbacker 4003 bass in fireglo amber...

This is the first time I've ever played a Rickenbacker bass and I fell in love with it, a real beauty of a bass.

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 05_ric10

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side Empty Re: A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side

Post by hobster Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Seeing as how the Westie is a finer instrument, you meant the G****n is not inferior quality, right? Very Happy Thanks for the comparison, its pretty cool to see them side by side. I like the larger body of the Rainbow, my wife calls the 335's the "mickey mouse" style. Those Ricks are amazing huh, i'd LOVE one but they ain't cheap. Ever seen the Lemmy Ricks, there were only 50 or 60 made i believe and all were hand carved, my favorite bass in the world.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side Empty Re: A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side

Post by Warrn Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Ricks are crazy, even the Electra Corsair Rickenfakers go for up to and even over $1000. Shocked And I was surprised at just how much different the Rainbow is from the 335!
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm

I won't hijack this thread, but just in case noone has seen one - the neck thru beauty! Drooooll ❤ ❤ cyclops

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side Lemmy+rickenbacker+4004
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Fugly but I want it
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Fugly to some, gorgeous to others. Very much a distinctive bass and i could see how it could be seen as fugly. I guess only 60 were made and the carving was hand done instead of c&c and each carving is a little different. Even some patterns vary so each is 1 of a kind.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 pm

I was very surprised at how small and light the Rickenbacker was, When I first played the bass it felt like a short scale. The sustain on it is amazing. (Spinal Tap... The sustain, listen to it. Laughing )

I have serious gas for one but unless I was a millionaire I could never justify paying more for one guitar than my whole collection is worth.
bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey thanks for that comparison! Very eye opening.
That's about as close I'm likely to get to a Rainbow...just never see 'em here. (I do however have an ES330 so I can't really complain eh? Razz )
Funny, you don't really notice the Mickey Mouse connection until you lay the Rainbow next to the Gibby.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:33 am

The Rainbow 1 and the Gibson 335 both have the same lovely curve shape at the back.....do all 335 copies? I don't know

The Gibson

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side 31389410

The Rainbow 1

A Gibson 335 and a Westone Rainbow 1 side by side Curve11

Both beautifully made guitars. I only wish I'd had the 335 for longer so I could take better photos and do a more extensive sound comparison.
bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:58 pm

My Hondo II is curved the same as those. It's pretty much a direct copy of the 335, and very well made. The pickups are pretty weak, thats my only complaint. Then again, when i play it and compare it to my Rainbow there is no comparison. The Rainbow is far superior. I'll post some pics in the " More Hondos" thread when i have a little time. Played a hometown gig last nite and i'm off to the coast for a gig tonite. I'm havin fun! Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:59 pm

The Gibsons will have Alnico 5 magnets in the pups, more attack, slightly louder.
Rainbows are Alnico 2, sweeter sounding, clear as a bell.
I've always said if the Rainbows had Gibson on the headstock, folks would be paying £££££'s for them.
Think ourselves lucky, we weren't overcharged just to have a 'name' on the headstock. But dont tell everyone!!! to late. Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down