The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play

+6
colt933
Warrn
The Chad
Westbone
corsair
bowenjaybee
10 posters

Go down

The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play Empty The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play

Post by bowenjaybee Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 am

I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately and thinking about the good old days. Does anyone recall what the first tunes / riffs / songs etc you ever learnt to play?
That's If any of you oldies can remember that far back clown

Here's mine: from mid 1990 when I started playing bass.

U2 - New Years Day (Bassline), taught myself to play it on a crappy acoustic from a U2 tablature book
The Stone Roses - She bangs the drums (Bassline) A guitarist friend taught me it on his Westone Thunder 1 bass....it took me weeks to perfect it.
The Cult - she sells sanctuary (bassline) We used to do this song in the first band I was ever in. I still have a recording of it. it's painful, nobody ever told us we had to tune in first before playing.

Jay
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play Empty Re: The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play

Post by corsair Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Jeebus... that's back in the 60's for me... probably "House of the rising sun" apart from the stuff I was taught, like scales and modes. Imagine teaching a small boy scales and modes...

I'm pretty sure I learned "Man of mystery" by the Shads pretty early on, along with " Apache" and "Kon Tiki" plus a few NZ songs you blokes will never have heard of so I won't bore y'all!!

First tune on organ was... wait for it..... yes; you've guessed it; "Whiter shade of pale", followed by "Girlie"...

Bass, don't know as I only ever really filled in on bass but I did record "Move it!" playing bass....

Banjo, "Orange Blossom Special", "Ballad of Jed Clampett"... an instrument I should never have sold... Sad

Mandolin, "Losing my religion" probably; I seem to recall playing a load of Irish stuff about my mandolin period!!

Lap steel, "One of these days" ...'cause it's easy... all in Em!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play Empty Re: The first tunes / songs you ever learnt to play

Post by Westbone Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Likewise...House of the Rising Sun..

By a fella that was on his way home from church and was swept away in the flood waters after some serious heavy rainfall. Thanks mate.

Bass,my main instrument, Sam + Dave(salmondave) Great soul music. Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm surprised these weren't mentioned yet, but my first riff ever was "Smoke on the Water" shortly followed by "Iron Man"! Laughing How cliche are those?! But it was true nonetheless.

The first full song was "Amazing Grace", which wasn't nearly as fun.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 pm

First bass riffs I learned were from Cake songs I think, don't remember which ones. The first full song I learned was an original. Laughing I'm not good with covers, I think I've only ever learned two, and have forgotten how to play them both.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:07 am

My first guitar lesson was Dust in the Wind - 1984 I believe.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Rock you like a Hurricane Scorpions
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 am

First song when I took lessons what Pinball Wizard - My teacher really was pushing me to start with those barre chords.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 pm

sarcaster wrote:First song when I took lessons what Pinball Wizard - My teacher really was pushing me to start with those barre chords.

I always used partials on that 'cause I hated the barre chords early on!! Besides it was always the intro that rocked my boat on that song, eh!! Still a cracking tune and the punters love it! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:16 pm

corsair wrote:
sarcaster wrote:First song when I took lessons what Pinball Wizard - My teacher really was pushing me to start with those barre chords.

I always used partials on that 'cause I hated the barre chords early on!! Besides it was always the intro that rocked my boat on that song, eh!! Still a cracking tune and the punters love it! Very Happy

Yeah, if you watch Pete play it, he's not barring all the way across - he's playing the fragment on the last 4 strings and muting with the thumb over the top. He has big hands.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I actually like barre chords, I just can't do them in G shape because my hands are tiny (which has prompted a few inquiries into how in the hell I manage to play bass! Laughing). I will admit that I'm very slow in changing chord shapes, so there's always two or three muted beats if I'm playing anything more complicated than power chords. Embarassed
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:35 pm

The Chad wrote:I'm surprised these weren't mentioned yet, but my first riff ever was "Smoke on the Water" shortly followed by "Iron Man"! Laughing How cliche are those?! But it was true nonetheless.

The first full song was "Amazing Grace", which wasn't nearly as fun.

+1 I think Paranoid was in there as well.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm

I thought this would be an easy question to answer...but it ain't!
I got my first "guitar", a battered up old flat top that someone had painted with pink enamel paint (Hi John), when I was about 8 or 9.
I can remember laying in my bunk bed listening to Elvis on the AM radio and trying to play along. Didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing mind.

Later on at the ripe old age of about 12, I had a new improved flattop from Simpsons-Sears or Eatons (a mail order Department store) and commenced ta playin' along with Johnny Cash, "I Walk the Line", etc.

Tragic.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:26 am

WARNING: RISK OF SEVERE BOREDOM

First songs? Do partial riffs count? Smile No? OK....

House of the Rising Sun - Animals
Satisfaction - Otis Redding/Stones
Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath (my parents bought me a Dunlop cry-baby)
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Wild World - Cat Stevens
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
zillions of faceless plain jane blues progressions - the kind you can play when you are damned close to nodding off

In my second year, I learned the cliche grail - Stairway to Heaven - Zep - as well as "Hair of the Dog" - Nazareth
My buddies and I went on to learn much of Sabbath's "Paranoid" album, including (wait for it) the ubiquitous "Iron Man". What 14 year old could resist those weird falling/rolling opening chords? Not me. Very Happy

Last edited by anaerobe on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:35 am

Bloody Sundown; that song gave conniptions ages ago when I first tried nutting it out as I could never get that sound from an open chord!! Stumbled on the stacked 5th by accident and then went mad with it as it's used in the cheats version of "Every breath you take" and "Roads to Moscow" and " Friday on my mind"!!

Ahhhhh... Memories; good post! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:40 am

Yeah - we wrestled with it as a 4 -student group in my teacher's basement. His dog (a big mofo of a Russian wolfhound, a grey shaggy bugger) would stare at us perplexed as we strove to hit that opener just "so".. I think that tune provides some fodder for what is music vs a song.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down