The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone w/ modulous neck

+3
The Chad
corsair
hobster
7 posters

Go down

Westone w/ modulous neck Empty Westone w/ modulous neck

Post by hobster Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 am

My pawn shop buddy called yesterday and said they recieved a Westone with a Modulous graphite neck. I did a little research and the only Westie i could find with a graphite neck is the Villian. He said there are several knobs and switches, i'm not sure what he means but i'm gonna have to go check it out. Any insight on these? I know they are Korean made, and all of my Westies are Matt, is it time to take the plunge? Its going for about $200 and he said its in great shape. Have you all ever played one and do you reccommend one?
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Westone w/ modulous neck Empty Re: Westone w/ modulous neck

Post by corsair Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:09 pm

If it's in good nick,, then 2 hundy would be a good price; there's a couple of the lads in here have got them and rate them highly. If I had the chance to get one at that price, I'd bite the sellers hand off.... Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 pm

That's a good price Hob, you could probably sell the neck for that much. Go check her out man!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:04 pm

O.k. guys i'm on it. I guess the best way to see if i like it is to go play it! Very Happy Hope to check it out tomorrow, i'll let you know if i grab her.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:16 pm

hobster wrote:...I did a little research...
Um, you of course did that research on the WestoneGuitars.net site right? clown

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Very Happy You know it buddy. Wink
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 am

Don't rate the EMG Select pups much. EMG's economy range.
Bit like Duncan Designed type thing.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I have a Villain with EMG selects and the only fault I can find is a little muddiness/lack of definition in the neck pickup (Humbucker).The middle single coil gives some very strat like sounds and the bridge humbucker absolutely screams, it'll cut through any mix
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:41 pm

So i checked out the guitar today and its real clean except the previous owner installed a couple of small switches Mad in the body. One is a kill switch and the other i didn't figure out yet. Besides that all original and in real nice shape. I dig the body alot, very contoured and just feels unique, as well as the graphite neck. I guess i could put the switches to use, they are very small and well done, but it kinda sucks he drilled into it. I'm a little torn on what to do.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 am

I know EMG's have their fans, but I'm not one of them. Haven't heard any yet that I like.
Had a beautiful PRS come into the shop for repairs to a botched attempt at EMG installation by "a friend". Ripped out the Dragons for a pair of those stupid things and destroyed most of what was left in the process. Kids. Bloody shame. Evil or Very Mad

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:26 am

I'd say get it.
The necks themselves usually go for at least $200 on the 'bay.
getting one with a guitar attached for $200 sounds like a steal.

In my opinion, the EMG Select pickups are okay. Economy level, like was said previously. They are adequate, but don't dazzle. I had some EMG Selects in other guitars, and they do seem to work better on my Villain Graphite than on other guitars. I'm not going to change mine out because they are good enough for fun playing and I might as well leave it original. But there is no need to do that with yours, since there are already extra holes drilled in it.

What color is it?

If it is red, I'll pay you $200 for it if you buy it and decide you don't like it later. the extra switches don't bother me.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I considered getting it for a while but i'm in construction and the Oregon winter is coming which means funds are getting tight. Its the grey metallic color not red, sorry man. Its still there, maybe i'll check it out again and spend more time playing it. My wife would not be pleased if i came home with another guitar :!:, she may even kill me. affraid
I can always hide it at my buddies house till the time is right. Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Dang. The one I've got is the metallic gray, don't need another one.

If you want to try wrangle up a lend/lease program, where I send you the money, you purchase it for me, then toodle around with it for a few month before sending it to me, I'm open to negotiating details.
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 pm

hobster wrote:. My wife would not be pleased if i came home with another guitar :!:, she may even kill me. affraid

Hmmm... hide a guitar buy until the right time to reveal it, eh? Hob my son, you're a genious. Hopefully I'm not the only one that was enticed by that idea and tempted to use it one day. Laughing
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:54 pm

The Chad wrote:
hobster wrote:. My wife would not be pleased if i came home with another guitar :!:, she may even kill me. affraid

Hmmm... hide a guitar buy until the right time to reveal it, eh? Hob my son, you're a genious. Hopefully I'm not the only one that was enticed by that idea and tempted to use it one day. Laughing

I've done it before. Very Happy When i landed a big job and had a little extra cash, i busted it out. "Oh, by the way, i got this awesome guitar off craigslist for cheap." cheers Only thing that sucks is you can't play it for a while, but thats ok.

Brainfertilizer i'm pretty tempted by your offer. Only thing is i'm afriaid i might like it and not want to give it up. Maybe i can take some pics and get them to you so you are sure you want it. It was in great shape if i remember correctly (except the new switches of course).
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:02 pm

hobster wrote:
The Chad wrote:

I've done it before. Very Happy When i landed a big job and had a little extra cash, i busted it out. "Oh, by the way, i got this awesome guitar off craigslist for cheap." cheers Only thing that sucks is you can't play it for a while, but thats ok.

lol! lol! lol! REALLY?!?!?! that's GREAT!!! Oh man, I wanna do that one day too... cheers king
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

The rule is, if you get it into the house and she doesn't notice it for a month, you get to keep it.
Even if she doesn't notice it because it is hidden in the basement under a pile of old newspapers.

After the month expires, you can say with truthfulness, "No, honey, it isn't a new guitar. Why, I've had it for a while now."

It is easier to do this when you have 15+ guitars, btw. The difficulty factor soars when she knows you only have 2.
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Brainfertilizer wrote:The rule is, if you get it into the house and she doesn't notice it for a month, you get to keep it.
Even if she doesn't notice it because it is hidden in the basement under a pile of old newspapers.

After the month expires, you can say with truthfulness, "No, honey, it isn't a new guitar. Why, I've had it for a while now."

It is easier to do this when you have 15+ guitars, btw. The difficulty factor soars when she knows you only have 2.

Thats the truth! Laughing I have enough that i have just placed 1 or 2 in the line of guitar cases and she never even noticed. Then i'm playing it one day and she asks "Whats that one?" Surprised Oh I've had this one for months, haven't you seen it yet? Check out the MMKs!lol!
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 pm

48 hour rule... cheers
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 pm

hobster wrote: Only thing is i'm afriaid i might like it and not want to give it up.
From where I sit, that's a win-win: you get another guitar you love, and I can use the $200 for a different MIK Westone/Alvarez and don't end up with a doubled guitar in the collection.
Brainfertilizer

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 am

Brainfertilizer wrote:
hobster wrote: Only thing is i'm afriaid i might like it and not want to give it up.
From where I sit, that's a win-win: you get another guitar you love, and I can use the $200 for a different MIK Westone/Alvarez and don't end up with a doubled guitar in the collection.

Optimism has spoken sunny sunny

What are you waiting for?? bounce bounce bounce
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Brainfertilizer wrote:

Thats a very cool, positive attitude and i appreciate it. Very Happy I think the Iceman is correct, we may have to work something out, sounds like a win-win indeed. I'm off to work but i'll try to check it out tomorrow, thanks again for the offer.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down