The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peghead warp?

3 posters

Go down

Peghead warp? Empty Peghead warp?

Post by ace Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 am

Today i bought a well used and abused spectrum DX bass.

On closer inspection it seems that the peghead has warped under tension of the strings. The neck/fretboard itself is good though: does anyone know if this is common for an older bass or if this is a more serious problem?

Cheers,
ace
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Peghead warp? Empty Re: Peghead warp?

Post by corsair Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38 pm

That's a new one on me; some of our resident experts may have a better idea, though!! And pictures always help, eh!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:18 am

Peg head warp (where it is leaning forward toward the fretboard) is not unheard of on bass' made from less select wood types. If its been under tension with the strings and it has been left leaning against a constant heat (such as a radiator), or left in a very damp atmosphere, then movement of the headstock can occur. If the guitar neck has been made up of strips of wood glued together, then occasionally you may find that the glued joints may have come unstuck in parts, which will also cause the same warping effect.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ace Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Thank you for your reaction umpdv5000.

With some common sense however, the problem seems to be almost gone.

The guy i bought it from kept all of his basses (which were a whole lot) in a room with constant sunlight (so humidity must have been very low).
Also the strings on the bass when i got it were very old and put on in a very wrong way (on the E and A strings no string windings around the tuning post at all, on the D and G strings so much windings that they were completely covering the tuning post).
A little bit of TLC (putting on new strings) and a lot of humidity corrected the problem. The peghead position is now so much relieved that the warp is almost nonexistent. cheers

Does anybody think that this particular problem might return in the future?
ace
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum