The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMK 75 pickups

+2
Racing
corsair
6 posters

Go down

Pickups - MMK 75  pickups Empty MMK 75 pickups

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

I've seen some threads on the forum regarding the MMK pickups and am looking for some details if anyone has info.
The westone.info site says this of the X350 pickups:
"2 Magnaflux OFC (Oxygen free copper)" and I always wondered what they sounded like.

I also had posted a question on OFC pickups in an earlier thread and there where response to the defintion of what Oxygen free means, but never really got a vibe on what the PUPS sounded like.

So now that I have a 350MA (which I thought was going to have replacement EMG's in it) and was suprised to see the PUPS are original.

I've heard MMK 45's mentioned quite a bit on the forums and they seem very popular in a lot of MATS, but after taking the PUPS off the 350 I see that they are MMK 75's. This is the first I've ever heard of MMK 75's.

Anyone measure the outputs of the 75's? They sound very good, and I think I like them more than expected (I really am not a fan of the original PUPS in my x300 so my expectations on Westone pickups have been low). These PUPS are pretty impressive. I had original planned on dropping a seymour duncan set in the 350, but I think I'm going keep these for awhile since they sound pretty strong but warm.

So at the end of the day - what's the scoop on the MMK 75's? who's got experience/opinions on them?

Pickups - MMK 75  pickups Mmk_7510
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Pickups - MMK 75  pickups Empty Re: MMK 75 pickups

Post by corsair Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:15 am

I've got one that I bought from a bloke in New Zealand who broke up a Pantera of some sort; it's currently in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and I hope to retrieve it later on this year as I have an idea to either whack it into my MX, or swap it for another sort of MMK to whack into the hole - I can't remember the readings now, but they weren't outrageously high or anything.... I recall that they were a 'full' sounding pickup, though.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 am

Well,i for one am a BIG fan of the 75s. You often find them in the higher end Mat guitars for some reason like PE-120 Lim,TAs asf.
I run the stock MMK75s in my TA-70(bridge) and have tried them in other guitars as well.

Long story short the MMK75 IMO are very well built PAFs. They measure in at just short of 8k no matter if they´re bridge or neck.
I thin the 75s are one of matsumokus hidden treasures really-they are that good. Then again i´ve been developing along the lines of either P90s or PAF style pups in later yrs.
One feature of pups in that range,again IMO,is that they let more of the wood through in the tone and so does the 75 too.

61s in turn are basicaly your overwound 75s. I dunno tho...i like the 75s better,but that´s just me i guess.
Racing
Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 am

Agreed, they are a sweet sounding pup. A lot due to the alnico II magnets. Not as harsh as alnico 5.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cnevins Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

My Prestige 150 has MMK 75's. The catalog calls them 'Super Twin 750' pickups. A cool tidbit I discovered, is the PEQ tone controls gradually coil tap the pickups when you turn them clockwise. Pretty ingenious! Anyway, with the earlier Westones, the actual MMK model number is sometimes found within Westone's pickup name, such as the Thunder III's HF530 is an MMK 53. But you guys probably already know this already. Later.
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 pm

cnevins wrote:the PEQ tone controls gradually coil tap the pickups when you turn them clockwise.
No they don't - they switch the internal wiring of the two humbucker coils from series to parallel.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by cnevins Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Sorry, I stand corrected.
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by criss Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:39 pm

I swapped the MMK75 of my Rainbow 1 for a pair of Gibson 490/498 (which are supposed to be close to the Classic 57).
The Rainbow1 sounded very différent with those Gibson pups, more precise, clearer whith upper midrange response  but the guitar have lost the richer warm and (a bit)nasal tone she had with the MMk75 (or twin 750) The MMK75 have a stronger personality IMO.I'll put them back.
criss
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Geez criss, way to pull a Lazarus on a 6 year old thread! Razz
But happy to hear all is once again right in the Rainbow universe.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by criss Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 am

Hi Barry! It was to give a clue on the sounds of the MMK75 compared to the Gibson PAF to those  who (like me) hoped to improve their sound with PAFs: It would make a difference, not really an upgrade IMO.  ( Is it an outdated matter ? Surprised! )
Everything is perfect in the Rainbow's kingdom, laissons Lazare se rendormir.
criss
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:13 am

Sleeping in Bed

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down