The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces

4 posters

Go down

thunder - Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces Empty Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces

Post by ace Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 am

First of all this is my first post on this wonderful forum Very Happy

Yesterday i bought my third lefty Thunder bass, this one being my first active Thunder bass. While i was cleaning this sucker (which looked and smelled like it had spent a lifetime over a deep fryer Shocked) i noticed that the pole pieces (though i know they are adjustable) were really loose and easily came out of the pickup: should it be possible to do this and does it harm the pickup in any way?
There was also some black "goo" on the bottom of the pole pieces: is this some kind of locktite that used to hold the pole pieces in place?

Thanx in advance for any answers/advice! cheers
ace
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces Empty Re: Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces

Post by bowenjaybee Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 am

Hi ace and welcome

I've screwed the pole pieces right out of a Thunder bass to clean the rust off them before and it was ok.. they went back in nice and tight not loose so don't know what could be going on with yours.

Jay
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces Empty Re: Thunder 1-A bass pickup pole pieces

Post by ace Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 am

Thanx for your comment Bowenjaybee.

Let me rephrase my earlier comment: they are not that loose, but compared to my other thunders, they screw in/out pretty easily (though they stay in place pretty well).
I have another question for you: how did you remove the rust from the pole pieces? (the exact same reason why i wanted to remove my pole pieces btw)

Cheers
ace
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by cnevins Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 am

Rust removal can be tedious, especially with little bits like those. They do make little sanding blocks made of rubber with an abrasive mixed in before being formed. Those work pretty well. Not sure where you are located but I've bought them at Sears before. Other wise, rust inhibitor like WD-40 and buff with rag or even 400 grit sandpaper (lightly). Good Luck!

Chris
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 am

I just used a sewing needle and lightly scraped the rust away then used a bit of 0000 grade steel wool to finish... slow and boring but it worked great.....it is a good thing to remove the poles completely otherwise you will have debris stuck all over the magnets which is a pain in the butt to remove.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Had this problem with loose adjustable pole pieces.
Just wrapped a bit of PTFE tape around them, works fine and no audible sound difference, not to the human ear anyway.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down