The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G

2 posters

Go down

Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G Empty Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G

Post by Dibbul Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi all

Just found you for the first time. What a nice bunch you seem to be !

I have a Thunder 1A Bass - Bought it new many years ago - Serial number 1090519

Problem I have is that the output from the pickup when playing the D&G strings is less than E&A.

This is not just subjective i.e. If I put it through an EQ on Logic9 I can see the waveform is less.

I use it for home recording and when I play the D&G strings the mix sounds weak & empty. E&A still sound really punchy.

I am seriously considering stripping out the pickups and putting a standard 'P' and not having it active but then found you guys and hoping you can advise if this is a standard problem or what my solution could be

Everything else seems to work really well - I dont even get any crackles or pops from dirty pots.

Many thanks
Neil

Dibbul

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G Empty Re: Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G

Post by Westbone Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Sounds like a dud half a p/up there. Further investigation. Loose wire, bad connection???
Could always have it rewound if needed.
They're a very good p/up. On a par with Dimarzio Model P.

It's not the p/up that's active but the circuit it's wired to. Any passive p/up could be used.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G Empty Passive PUPs replace

Post by Dibbul Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 am

>>>Sounds like a dud half a p/up there.
AGREED

>>>Further investigation. Loose wire, bad connection???
HAVE CHECKED AND ALL LOOKS VERY SOLID

>>>Could always have it rewound if needed.
SOUNDS AN EXPENSIVE FAFF?

>>>>It's not the p/up that's active but the circuit it's wired to. Any passive p/up could be used.
I did not think this was the case??? As there seems an awful lot more wires going to the PUPS than a wiring diagram for a Fender P replacement. Are you sure a passive Fender P would work and the Bass active circuit would work the same as before? Is it really that simple? What do I solder the extra wires to ?

I have replaced PUPS before in a Telecaster and that was simple as the wiring layout was identical but this looks more complicated but prepared to give it a go.

Many thanks for your help and advice

Dibbul

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G Empty Re: Thunder 1A Bass - weak pickup on D & G

Post by Westbone Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am

The internal wiring from various manufactures is different. That's what you'll have to sort out.
Westone Bass p/ups are not active, it's the circuit.
Could be an internal connection corroded. This is why you have guitar techs and pickup guys to sort it out.
A rewind is not expensive.
They ARE very good p/ups

http://www.westoneguitars.net/fixme/wiring-diagrams/thunder-ia-bass/
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down