The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!)

5 posters

Go down

guitar - Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!) Empty Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!)

Post by mattcadders Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Please don't laugh me off the internet, be kind if I'm being a fool.

Here goes....

Is it possible to play my guitar through my PC, kind of like a normal auxilliary?

For example, is there a lead out there that I can buy that will run from my guitar into a 3.5mm socket which will facilitate sound coming from my PC?

I'm not looking for any whizz bang amplification, just, in laymans terms....for noise of the bass variety to come out of my computer. It's would be a temporary fix to avoid frustration while I can't afford an amp.

Those who have read my posts since joining this great forum will know that i'm breaking the old girl out of her case for the first time in 15 years.

The ability to plug myself in to my PC and practice without disturbing the family would be a real advantage.

I run a vista machine with plenty of power behind it, a good Creative sound card and 7.1 surround which has its own dedicated sub. So plenty of imputs, the ability to control what comes out.

If it makes noise, i'll be happy until I can afford an amp and some sound insulation for the garage. So its a temporary fix.

Any advice would be welcomed

Matt
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

guitar - Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!) Empty Re: Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!)

Post by Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi Matt, Smile

Nobody here would laugh at you for asking questions, I can guarantee that, and if they did, they would have me to answer to!
Rolling Eyes
I can be quite scary for such a small person, when I want to be!
affraid Laughing

In answer to your question, yes you can plug your guitar into your PC without the need to buy any fancy gadgets. All you need, aside from your guitar (Duh!) is an ordinary guitar lead and an adapter to fit onto the other end of the lead which you can plug straight into the input on your PC and away you go!
bounce

Enjoy your guitar and happy playing!
Very Happy

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

guitar - Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!) Empty Re: Technical Help Wanted - My Guitar and My PC, can they mate? (so to speak!)

Post by corsair Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:17 am

I sometimes run mine into my mac via a device called an iMic which is a USB cable and it whacks the signal into Garageband whereupon I can dick about with the sound in realtime, should I desire. Otherwise I use the line out from an amp in the same manner if I want the amp characteristics as well... (I don't have a Sansamp set up, obviously!)
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:52 am

Thats way too easy!!

Perhaps I was trying to take a sledgehammer to a nut. My experience with Mr Bill Gates' Vista is that nothing is simple, hence I assumed it would be over complicated.

But that's excellent news!

Off to hunt the tinterweb for an adapter then!

Thankyou so much for the help, this forum is the dogs dangly bits!

Matt
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi Matt, Smile

The adapter is just like a jack plug with a smaller narrower end that plugs into the input on the PC and you just plug it onto the end of your normal guitar lead. (Wide input, narrow output). Sorry I don't know the technical name for them (if they have one) or what sizes they are but you can get them in most audio suppliers or guitar shops.

I use a reverse type (narrow input, wide output) that I put onto the end of my headphones so that I can plug them straight into the amplifier. That way I don't annoy everybody, especially when I'm learning to play something new!
Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Thankyou Pauline,

I have a '1/4 inch to 3.5mm stereo adapter' (check out the terminology eh?) en route as we speak, so I hope to be making lots of noise by Tuesday/Wednesday as long as the Postie pulls his finger out.

I can then plug my headphones straight into the 'pooter' and deafen myself.

Following much discussion with the 'google-izer' it would appear that plugging straight into my 'stereo line-in' on my sound card will also enable me to record just how bad I am for posterity!

All for the grand price of £1.48 including postage!

Incidentally, I've checked out some of the threads on guitar restoration and have decided to spruce her up a bit.....well the brass anyway...might leave the laquer alone until I get very brave.

So consider another Westone saved thanks to this forum (assuming I don't make it worse).

Kind Regards

Matt
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Cool! I'd bear in mind that bass freq's are a little more damaging to incy-wincy speakers than a guitar would be, so it may pay to keep the gain down, eh!! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm

mattcadders wrote:Thats way too easy!!

Perhaps I was trying to take a sledgehammer to a nut. My experience with Mr Bill Gates' Vista is that nothing is simple, hence I assumed it would be over complicated.

...and that's why I an an Apple convert/zealot... Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 pm

You really need to check out Guitar Port from Line 6. It's a USB audio device that takes the place of your sound card. It has the same functions as a POD but it offloads all of the processing to the PC, so the Guitar Port is only like $69 while Pods start at about $200. The Guitar Port has a GUI interface not unlike a web browser. It's like having a studio full of vintage amps, cabs, and effects, all for $69. It's also a pretty good audio interface for computer recording.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:46 pm

That sounds similar to the Rock Frog. Spotted it whilst searching for solutions to the problem.

Comes in at £49

Anyone have any knowledge?

Goes from the 1/4 inch straight to USB via a seperate processer rather than using the soundcard.

The one review I read wasn't that promising and they don't appear to be flying off the shelves.
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I can heartily recommend the Guitarport idea. I have a Line 6 Toneport (similar idea, little bit more advanced) and the sounds are great.
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Admin wrote:I can heartily recommend the Guitarport idea. I have a Line 6 Toneport (similar idea, little bit more advanced) and the sounds are great.

Yeah, the Toneport(s) are more of an all-in-one recording solution with lots of good Line 6 modelling technology.

If you intend to record vocals or any live microphone, then a Toneport model with a mic preamp will serve you better than the Guitar Port.
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:58 pm

...am I the only Apple convert in here?! I use a Griffin iMic and the Apple software; plug'n'play! All I really need to do is learn how to use it properly, eh! (Hey, remember, Apples are computers for the technically illiterate and I have only just gotten beyond the Watkins Copicat!!) Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by hummel Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:18 pm

corsair wrote:...am I the only Apple convert in here?! I use a Griffin iMic and the Apple software; plug'n'play! All I really need to do is learn how to use it properly, eh! (Hey, remember, Apples are computers for the technically illiterate and I have only just gotten beyond the Watkins Copicat!!) Very Happy

no...you're not alone! Garageband with a MAudio interface does wonders!
hummel
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey chaps, Smile

You are starting to get way too technical for me here!
scratch scratch

However, I'm not one to be outdone that easily so, what about 'Amplitude'? Razz I haven't used it but my son has it and it is awesome! Very Happy

John and Hans, it even works on 'Mac's'!!!!
Razz Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Hmmm, I'm now officially out of my techno depth.

I'll stick to plugging it into my pooter for now, although i'll have a gander at some of the options.
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 pm

mattcadders wrote:Hmmm, I'm now officially out of my techno depth.

Hooray! cheers

I'm so glad that I'm not the only non-techno one around here!
Very Happy Very Happy Welcome to my very elite little club, Matt! Laughing

Pauline
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
mattcadders wrote:Hmmm, I'm now officially out of my techno depth.

Hooray! cheers

I'm so glad that I'm not the only non-techno one around here!
Very Happy Very Happy Welcome to my very elite little club, Matt! Laughing

Pauline

...oh, boo hoo!! Ya gotta get with the 21st century, Polly.... (much sniggering) Cool
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:48 am

corsair wrote:...am I the only Apple convert in here?! I use a Griffin iMic and the Apple software; plug'n'play! All I really need to do is learn how to use it properly, eh! (Hey, remember, Apples are computers for the technically illiterate and I have only just gotten beyond the Watkins Copicat!!) Very Happy

I'm a Mac man too!
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm

Pollyanna wrote:Hey chaps, Smile

scratch scratch

However, I'm not one to be outdone that easily so, what about 'Amplitude'? Razz I haven't used it but my son has it and it is awesome! Very Happy

Razz Laughing

Pauline

Amplitube
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:59 pm

colt933 wrote:
Pollyanna wrote:Hey chaps, Smile

scratch scratch

Razz Laughing

Pauline

Amplitube

.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down