The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waldorf and Statler

+3
Administrator
norfolkngood
hoax
7 posters

Go down

Waldorf and Statler Empty Waldorf and Statler

Post by hoax Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:56 pm

I know I'm a newcomer but I thought that it's about time that someone said that some of you guys are like the old duffers in the balcony at the Muppet Show. Things like ( generic examples) "Ho ho look at what he's trying to sell!!!" or " He's looking for how much?" or " Brace youselves look at this pile of crap on Fleabay!!!!!" - Oops I missed a couple of exclamation marks!!

Come on guys and gals- rise above it. It might just be someone's pride and joy you are criticising. Or you might be talking down someone's sale just because you personally do not like what's on offer. I personally do not like some of your guitars and you might hate mine but that does not mean that either of us is superior or has better taste than the other.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion, but the balance of the forum is swinging towards fishwife gossip (albeit guitar related I grant you).

Well, that's my tuppence worth.

PS- There are also loads of excellent interesting posts on the forum as well and long may they continue.

Graham
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Waldorf and Statler Empty Re: Waldorf and Statler

Post by norfolkngood Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Harumph!!

As one of the old duffers I can't let this go! I'll have you know that I didn't fight in two world wars..... however. Where were we?

Oh yes, guitars. Playing for all these years has done me no harm. I was at the doctors only today about my hearing problems. Tell me about the symptoms he said. "Well Homer is the lazy yellow bastard and he's married to Marge, the skinny woman with blue hair."

What am I typing about? That's it, we're alleged to be a bit critical of some of the stuff on ebay. OK, I think we sometimes post harsh comments if someone is trying to offload a heap of crap at silly prices. Equally, we flag up stuff that may be of interest to other members (Dan -- Duo-Fuzz is brilliant for this, I don't bother looking at UK ebay, Dan shares it all with us :cheers). Yep, sometimes our thoughts may be a little unkind but go see the Members Westones part of this site for unstinting support for anyone who's put serious time + money into restoring one of uncle Mat's finest. I suspect that some ebay sellers also have a look on here for our obs. and that prices get adjusted as a result. What's wrong with that?

IMO we need to be grateful for the site. Other defunct Mat makes aren't so fortunate (try and get some proper info on Westburys) and our more colourful comments tend to be directed at people who are trying to make money out of the Westone name.

Final thought -- I'm also a member of a couple of on-line car clubs. This forum is mild by comparison; if sheer unmitigated piss-taking becomes an Olympic sport go there for some gold medals.

Shuffling off to pick me pension up now.. Sleep
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Good on ya Mate!

I realised when I posted that I may have come across as a fully paid up member of the the politically correct thought police. I was only being half serious and the post was not done in indignation.

You have answered with good humour and I hope that I have gently made my point.

If I had the same allegation I made aimed at me I would have laughed, admitted it, and continued on as if nothing had changed. That's the benefit of being an old fart - You know who you are and you don't care.

P.S. I often have a quiet snigger when I see posts with guitars that are pointy, but I usually stop short of a belly laugh.

Graham
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Point taken Hoax.

The forum is here for people to express an opinion, good or bad, on
Westone - and if anyone wants to defend a guitar (or their guitar) they are very welcome. Although sometimes we can be a bit harsh, I think most of it is justified. So many sellers must go over to westone.info, and this forum and see how much we love our old Westones that they think their Prized Thunder with the no-name replacement pickups, missing knobs, re-routed bridge, and custom paint job is worth hundreds. Soooo many sellers are listing their guitars at unrealistic prices, and the comments on the forum just reflect that. These guitars just sit on ebay for weeks and weeks until the seller finally gets the point that they are simply overpriced. We get equally excited about the really cool rare stuff that appears too - it's just that we see more of the not so good stuff!

As an example, I have just sold my beaten up but all original Thunder Jet on ebay for the princely sum of £51.50. Do I like that price? No I do not! But it is a fair reflection of how much a beaten up, 25 year old, mass-produced, Japanese guitar is worth in the market. On the other hand, a Minty Prestige or that difficult to find Paduak might just be worth a several hundred to someone.

The other thing to bear in mind is that because this is an international forum, the price differences can look staggering to our friends from overseas. I drool over some of the guitars available in the States - guitars that are almost impossible to find in the UK - all available for peanuts.

Having said all that - I agree that perhaps we should have a few less of the posts that are just about taking the p*ss out of knackered guitars with unrealistic prices, and focus instead on the really good stuff that members find instead. (I am as guilty as anyone)
Administrator

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Oh, and feel free to take the mickey out of the pointy guitars!!
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 pm

You will leave the pointy guitars alone!! ( I added the bold just for Hoax!!! ...and some more exclamation marks!!!) However, leave the pointies alone; I'll have the ones that no-one loves, eh!! Especially the *ahem* rather more colourful ones...

because this is an international forum, the price differences can look staggering to our friends from overseas.

... the fact that you guys have stuff to look at and consider buying is outrageous; there's nothing in NZ at the moment and shipping across the wet bits is off-putting in the extreme!

It might just be someone's pride and joy you are criticising. Or you
might be talking down someone's sale just because you personally do not
like what's on offer.

I could care less if I offend someone who is, deliberately or not, misleading prospective purchasers by plagiarising Davids' copywritten site for personal benefit, and I ask questions on the auction sites as well; I don't just whinge about it in here!

That said, Graham, you are, of course, right in the sense that we DO tend to get a little precious about our beloved guitars and a reality check, when worded like yours, is always welcome!! Can I be Floyd Pepper rather than Statler or Waldorf? Waldorf and Statler Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6319

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Corsair can have the pointy guitars, and I'll have the pointy basses! Only the Westones though, B.C. Rich and such just don't do anything for me.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:19 pm

"It's time to play the music... "

Ha ha, Muppets indeed! If that's the case, who am I... Miss Piggy???? Waldorf and Statler Icon_porc Harumph! (Flicks hair back with an indignant gesture!) Waldorf and Statler Icon_porc Waldorf and Statler Icon_biggrin

Everybody has stated exactly what I myself would have said, after reading your initial post there Graham.
Waldorf and Statler Icon_cheers Yeah, you can have the Pointy guitars John, I'll stick to my Paduaks any day, thank you very much!

True, we do take the mickey out of the butchered and overly priced Westones on fleabay, but justifiably so in a majority of cases! I think it has to do with the shock element, to see that someone could mistreat a beautiful instrument in such a way, is sometimes horrifying!
Waldorf and Statler Affraid

Rock on Westones and long may they survive - intact!
Waldorf and Statler Icon_cheers

Polly
Waldorf and Statler Icon_queen Waldorf and Statler Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyip Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I think it is a normal human trait to notice things out there that are dear to our heart, whereas the majority of people would never notice. If other people fail to treat things important to us as well as we would, we notice and if our feelings are strong enough we speak out. I have strong feelings about looking after my guitars and thus get offended when people 'relic' perfectly good guitars. This is my problem, not the person with the power sander or whatever. Thankfully it is still largely a free world where people can do what they like with their own stuff.

I think it is OK for people on this special interest forum to speak out when they see Westones which may be held sacred, mistreated. It doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things, but what's wrong with thinking oneself an 'expert' who 'knows a bit about' Westones, or other Uncle Mat gems? Surely we a better than, for example, those awful dog breeder types who can't see a Corgi without criticising the poor thing to death because it will never be a show dog.

Waldorf and Statler Icon_lol Waldorf and Statler Icon_biggrin Waldorf and Statler Icon_cheers Waldorf and Statler Lol

Thought I would whack in a few emoticon thingies, because I can.
Bunyip
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 am

Pollyanna wrote:Ha ha, Muppets indeed! If that's the case, who am I... Miss Piggy???? Waldorf and Statler Icon_porc Harumph! (Flicks hair back with an indignant gesture!) Waldorf and Statler Icon_porc Waldorf and Statler Icon_biggrin

Ummm....yes?! Waldorf and Statler Icon_lol !

Surely we a better than, for example, those awful dog breeder types who
can't see a Corgi without criticising the poor thing to death because
it will never be a show dog.

Oh, god yes!! Polly will back me on this as she used to show as well, I think, but we showed black pugs and Manchester Terriers for a while until I got so annoyed by the wankers who take this stuff seriously, that I thumped one of 'em - oddly, I became persona non grata after that... but he did stand on my dogs paw... on purpose Waldorf and Statler Icon_evil He then spent a pleasant month eating through a straw.

Yep; we're better than that!! Waldorf and Statler Icon_cool Waldorf and Statler Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6319

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:46 am

corsair wrote:... Oh, god yes!! Polly will back me on this as she used to show as well...

Oh gawd Yes!!!!

I also gave up the whole dog showing/judging/breeding business too, what a bunch of two-faced tw*ts they were! Corgi's, Yuck! I've never came across one yet that didn't try to bite me...

Erm????
Waldorf and Statler Icon_scratch What was I on about and what the heck has judging dogs got to do with guitars??? Waldorf and Statler Icon_scratch Oh yes, now I remember... At least we give constructive criticism to these
poor old butchered guitars, unlike the so called 'dog experts' who only
see the person handling the dog, and if their face fits, well... the
poor dog is then not judged on its own merits one little bit!!!! In actual fact, I always judged the dogs and not the handlers, hence my departure from that pastime... I rest my case...

Polly
Waldorf and Statler Icon_queen Waldorf and Statler Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm

The BBC has fallen out with Crufts after rightly slagging the whole pedigree dog-breeding industry for selective inbreeding so that some breeds are now almost non-dogs (Pugs and Boxers that can't breathe, deaf dalmations, over-muscled "guard" breeds etc). The average pedigree pooch of almost any breed is now more inbred than the English aristocracy.

I lost interest in classic cars for similar reasons (the twats who ruined the scene, not in-breeding!). The "investors" with more money than sense moved in, a lot of the real enthusiasts were priced out and the shows became a competition amongst the guys with the fattest wallets. Then I hit 50 and rediscovered guitars... and here I am Cool, a recycled teenager in the long queue for early retirement What a Face
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:59 pm

norfolkngood wrote:...Then I hit 50 and rediscovered guitars... and here I am, a recycled teenager...
Interesting...I hit 50, re-discovered hot sex, and produced a teenager. Waldorf and Statler Icon_rabbit

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: