The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apple mac...

+5
DuoFuzz
Administrator
Warrn
Barry
corsair
9 posters

Go down

Apple mac... Empty Apple mac...

Post by corsair Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Right-o gang; it looks likely that me and mine will be in the UK for a year or two and we're wondering about replacing our iMac. Do any of you fellas use Macs, and if so, where would be a good place to start looking in the south east, and what would the likes of a 17" iMac with 10.4.12 cost new/second-hand? All help gratefully accepted!! Apple mac... Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Apple mac... Empty Re: Apple mac...

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey up mate!

You will be looking in the region of about £800 upwards for a new one with a screen that size and I'm betting it will be even more! Second hand ones come up now and again on fleabay but I suppose it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay. My other half uses a mac and it is tiny and that cost him something like £650 two years ago!

Good luck mate and it looks like we might get to share a cuppa with you after all eh!

Polly
Apple mac... Icon_queen Apple mac... Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Geez, a guy who'll rip a geetar to bits and fearlessly solder circuitry, swap pups, tweak and otherwise fold, spindle and bend a trem bridge into submission uses a (gasp) Mac?! (Wimp.) geek

Depending on what else you must have by way of software, go get yerself a copy of Ubuntu (Linux) and run it on a cheap or used PC. It's free and the hardware is inexpensive. More money to spend on Mats!! rabbit

I'm writing this on a 10 year old Pentium III desktop running Ubuntu which is replacing my previous Windows 2000 which in turn is hitting end-of-life. I also have an XP laptop for when I just have to have Windows. Very Happy

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah; mate, I love the Apple platform ..... because I am a computer Luddite! I film and produce DVDs, make CDs (in any format you want), record myself playing guitar, keys or singing with the stuff that Apple have on the machines as standard; just too damn easy. I had a crack with W95 and XP but, jeebus tap dancing christ, what an a-hole of an interface; mac for the win!!! Apple mac... Icon_lol Apple mac... Icon_lol

Polly - count on it! Apple mac... Icon_biggrin
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 am

I'm a computer nerd, so I know nothing about Macs. Wouldn't even call them computers. I will give you that they are easy to use, but you're wasting a ton of money on trendy white plastic. Even if you had to buy a music program, a PC would be cheaper in the long run. And the interface is almost identical, aside from Windows being less reliant on a graphics card. Linux is of course the cheapest, but it's more difficult than Windows if you aren't a serious geek.

TL;DR: This post is unhelpful.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:25 am

Ahem...

This Admin is a Linux SysAdmin who has been exclusively using Macs at both home and work for years. In fact, I've converted many other sysadmins, programmers, managing directors, and finance directors over to Macintosh due to it's wonderful operating system and abundance of high quality software. Couldn't imagine having to go back to the dark days of Windows. Apple mac... Kopfschuettel

But, on to the question - A new iMac is £949 for a 20" model and £1199 for the 24" model, Second Hand from Ebay your looking at anything from £750 upwards depending on your model.

Alternative might be the Apple refurbished store, although I notice that they don't have any in stock at the moment.
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 am

Ahhh - now you're talking; all of our macs have been recycled ones and none the worse for it so what's the web address for the Apple recycled store over there, man?! I need to browse..... Apple mac... Icon_lol

Yeah, Warren, I know they're more expensive than PC's but I don't care; I want ease of use and these things do it for me, eh: I've also seen the conniptions some folk go through to do anything to their PCs and the glory of a mac is that you have everything you need on the machine when you buy it... there's no unexpected add-ons to be bought afterwards, and not once has this thing failed me - the DVD drive has been replaced 'cause it wouldn't eject when required to but the CPU has never, ever crashed. Apple mac... Icon_twisted

Actually, I've never understood the whole Linux thing as it has never been concisely explained to me - I have the attention span of an artichoke - anyone care to have a go? Seriously, what is it and why is it better than Mac's Tiger, or Windows Vista?

Hey, Admin - I've just noticed you're in West Sussex; not too far from Portsmouth? That will be our landfall in the UK.... eventually!!

Last edited by corsair on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition....)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:00 am

John, I've got a quick question for ya!

How far away from your Westones will you be when you invade Portsmouth?

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:16 am

Apple Refurbished Store Homepage

There you go. I got both my Macbook Pro's from the refurb store, saved a fortune!

I'm about 20 minutes away from Portsmouth. :-)
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 am

corsair wrote:Ahhh - now you're talking; all of our macs have been recycled ones...
That's a good way to reduce the initial high cost of those Mac thingies.
Actually, I've never understood the whole Linux thing as it has never been concisely explained to me - I have the attention span of an artichoke - anyone care to have a go? Seriously, what is it and why is it better than Mac's Tiger, or Windows Vista?
'Twould take too much space here and this ain't the right place for it anyway, but in a nutshell, it isn't a case of "better" necessarily, it's more what your comfort level is and what software is available to do what you want to do.

The Mac OS is a good one, no question, and quite easy for new users to grasp without having to worry too much about the "ugly" side of computing. For the most part it's stable and works; but it's still a computer and it will still crash and lock up. I saw it happen regularly to the graphics guy in my last job. And when it goes bad, it's a bugger to fix. All in all though, a good choice if ya can afford it. My techno-dweeb brother got one a couple of years ago and hasn't blown up the house--yet.

Windows, for better or worse, is the market leader and by far has the most support from software developers, so you get more competitively driven software choice and cheaper hardware. It's also has the biggest bullseye on it for the malicious code writers and hackers out there...a constant pain in the arse to protect yourself from these dick heads.

I recommended Linux to you because it shares much of the same heritage as the Mac, with its roots in Unix. It's stable, very usable, well supported, and there is a large variety of software available to do just about everything you'd want to do. And the best part is---both the OS and the software are free! There are many flavours of Linux however, and you'll find supporters and detractors for each. I suggest you look at Ubuntu which is a very mature system and with the deault Gnome interface I think you'll find it's very Mac-like to use.

The latest version release is due out later this month: UBUNTU home page
geek

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:23 pm

I use a Macbook Pro laptop at work in combination with Dell desktop. The Mac is the dogs' plums. I liked it so much I bought an iMac for home. I can hardly drag the kids off it. 2 years now and both have yet to crash or flame out.

Ian

Last edited by anaerobe on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PC didn't check my spelling)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Hey up chaps, Apple mac... Icon_smile

Well, all this talk about Linuxes and what have you has just confused the heck out of me now!
Apple mac... Icon_scratch I think it has also jinxed me because I'm now having problems with the on/off button on my laptop! Grrrrr!

Anyway, it's just to let you guys know that as of Monday, I will be off line for a few days while the Tech Guys come and take my laptop away for repairs/reloading/renewswitchputting in thingy so I will expect you all to behave while I'm not here!

Barry and John, take note here:

NO WILD PARTIES!!!!

See you all again soon!
Apple mac... Icon_biggrin

Polly
Apple mac... Icon_queen Apple mac... Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm

corsair wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah; mate, I love the Apple platform ..... because I am a computer Luddite! I film and produce DVDs, make CDs (in any format you want), record myself playing guitar, keys or singing with the stuff that Apple have on the machines as standard; just too damn easy. I had a crack with W95 and XP but, jeebus tap dancing christ, what an a-hole of an interface; mac for the win!!! Apple mac... Icon_lol Apple mac... Icon_lol

Polly - count on it! Apple mac... Icon_biggrin

Sat here with an iMac on my left (new addition) and a windows PC on my right (vista). Have to say the only reason the PC is still here is because I havent been arsed to transfer all the stuff I need.
Recording music is a dream on the Mac, garageband and upwards. Have used Cubasis on the PC - bloody hard work detracts from what you want to do.
Linux is a great idea but if you want to get on and do it, urh no.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Guys; you're the ducks' nuts - thank you for all suggestions and advice/comment! Barry, I'll have a look at Ubuntu but I'm not really a computer guy - I expect 'em to turn on when i want and turn off when i want; that's about my level of expertise!! Apple mac... Icon_jokercolor

Duo; about 12,000 miles! The UK and the continent can expect this kiwi to be stomping about pawn shops and 2nd hand stores for 2 years!! Apple mac... Icon_lol Why do you ask?!?! Apple mac... Icon_wink

Polly..... Apple mac... Icon_tongue PARTY ON, DUDES....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Corsair wrote,
Duo; about 12,000 miles! The UK and the continent can expect this kiwi to be stomping about pawn shops and 2nd hand stores for 2 years!! Apple mac... Icon_lol Why do you ask?!?! Apple mac... Icon_wink
You were already living about 1000 miles from them, and now your moving 12,000 miles away!

Man, leaving them poor Westones alone that long is just plain cruel, I think you should re-home them for they're own good.

It's for the best, the R.S.P.W. (the Royal Society for the Protection of Westones!) frowns on this sort of thing. Apple mac... Fresse

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 pm

How very true, and believe me, I am suitably ashamed of my appalling behaviour in this regard! Apple mac... Icon_biggrin Be aware, though that the Spectrum ST and one of the Clippers are being used by friends of mine down south, so at least some of them are being aired!

When we know where we're going to settle, then we'll get all of the gear sent to wherever we are, but yes, until then it'll be a struggle but as a bonus, I can pretty much justify spending up large on Matsumoku stuff, eh! Apple mac... Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Admin wrote:Apple Refurbished Store Homepage

There you go. I got both my Macbook Pro's from the refurb store, saved a fortune!

I'm about 20 minutes away from Portsmouth. :-)

i concur on this, i saved about £400 on my macbook pro as an ex demo (small dig in one corner that to me 3 days to find Smile ) try: jigsaw24.com, you have to hunt around a bit to find them
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Pollyanna wrote:...NO WILD PARTIES!!!!...
Aw-w-w-w, gee-e-e-e-z-z-zz mom-m-m! Crying or Very sad

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:36 pm

Barry wrote:
Pollyanna wrote:...NO WILD PARTIES!!!!...
Aw-w-w-w, gee-e-e-e-z-z-zz mom-m-m! Apple mac... Icon_cry

You noted, Barry, that she addressed that post to you and I specifically?!?! Apple mac... Icon_eek Apple mac... Icon_lol Apple mac... Icon_twisted
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 pm

corsair wrote:...You noted, Barry, that she addressed that post to you and I specifically?!?!...
Hey! I'm not the one with naked doors hanging all over the place! What a Face

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 pm

i got my latest mac off evilbay from a guy about 20 miles away. there are online firms that a google will find, i guess...?
as for the mac/pc chestnut argument... my first computer was a pc, and i hated it. installing stuff, uninstalling stuff, sorting it out when things frequently went wrong was a nightmare. i know sod all about what makes a computer tick, so for ease of use, and stress free computing, i use a mac. if you're the kind of guy who likes to spend his life fixing a car rather than driving it, then by all means buy a pc... haha...
bobroberts
bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down