The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number

3 posters

Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number Empty Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number

Post by TFi2397856 Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Hello Folks;

I need a wire diagram to rewire a thunder II passive 6 string back to stock. I also need the type of switch that is in this also. Replacement number also. I am in the USA so will need it to order switch.

I found a hand wiring diagram but it is confusing me. It looks like there are push pull pots in the drawing. 

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 110thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 110These are pics of what the wiring looks like now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you;

Thomas
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2020-03-02

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number Empty Re: Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number

Post by TFi2397856 Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:05 pm

This is the hand drawn wiring of a Thunder II six string passive I foundthunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number Weston16;
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number Empty Re: Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number

Post by TFi2397856 Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:54 pm

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 20201111
thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 20201112
thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 20201110
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:10 pm

That diagram is from our website and was drawn by our Westbone so I'm sure you can be confident that it's accurate.

Those would be PEQ tone controls not push-pulls, and were proprietary with Westone.
They have a centre detent.

Turn it down from the centre and it’s a normal tone control giving apparent bass boost by filtering out the treble. Turning it up from centre gives a sound like variable coil tap.

If they have been removed,  you will likely be out of luck finding replacements. Even the knobs are uniquely numbered.

Scroll down to see the brass version knobs on the Thunder II : LINK
Perhaps Damian will chime in with some more info for you.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

TFi2397856 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TFi2397856 Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Does that mean there double stacked? Can you look at the pictures and see if they are the correct pots ? I am not sure how to wire it. Do you connect the wires to the same terminal is it just a image that means looks like double stack but its internal ?
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Damian knows more about these than I do, but a simple check would be to turn the shaft on the pot. If there's a detent in the centre of the movement then you should have the originals.

As for wiring, if you don't have the original pots then there's no point in following the diagram. You're finished.

If you do have them and you are unable to follow the diagram, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to help you. It should be a straight forward exercise to check the wire colours and their connection points.

P.S. Use the diagram on our website it's much clearer; HERE Wink

Barry
Barry

TFi2397856 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:15 pm

the diagram you posted is for the PEQ setup
as Barry mentioned it requires specialized pots that were Matsumoku custom, they are double stacked pots of a specific design.

yours look to be just standard pots that will not work with that drawing.

are you wanting to set up your guitar with volume, tone, tone plus coil tap and phase reverse?

with a couple minor variations you can make this sketch work for your guitar. i made this up for a thunder guitar that had a faulty boost circuit, so i rewired the controls to work without it.
since there were holes for 3 switches i used three.

thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number Enhance

you can use one switch to coil split both pickups on your guitar.
you also have 2 tone capacitors so you can make a slight change to the diagram for that (just don't put in the jumper between tone pots).
as i look at the drawing now, i see that the grounding on the pots may not give you the proper rotation/function, so check that and if needed just swap the input and the ground connections to the other ends.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

TFi2397856 and Book Em Danno like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TFi2397856 Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Yes I want coil splitting, phase shift and tone. I have two switches and three pots. here is a picture of what i am dealing with.thunder - Westone Thunder II passive wire diagram, switch type and number 111
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

Book Em Danno likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:37 pm

i don't know how much experience you have with electronics/wiring.

does that drawing i posted make any sense to you at all?

do you understand the physical construction and functioning of the potentiometers and switches?

do you have much experience using a soldering iron?

do you have a multimeter?

with a little practice and some patience i'm sure you can get it working.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:54 pm

here's a link for replacement switches  >>link<<
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by TFi2397856 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:22 am

Thank you for all your help. You guys are the best!
TFi2397856
TFi2397856
Westone Nut

DreamRaven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Thumb Up

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down