The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII)

3 posters

Go down

Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII) Empty Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII)

Post by Danielou Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:52 pm

I just bought a Concord II. What I discovered when playing chords is cracking sound. There is no issue when playing one strin. It is similar to sound of a vinyl record. It doesn't appear in the moment when hitting the strings but I'd say just a bit after.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I've already put some spray to pots, but I think it didn't fix the problem.
Any tips much appreciated cyclops
Danielou
Danielou
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-08-24

Back to top Go down

Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII) Empty Re: Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII)

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:09 pm

It could be static generated from your fingers on the scratchplate, I've had this on a couple of concord ii guitars. 
My remedy was to line the pickup cavity and back of the plate with adhesive copper foil, creating a "Faraday cage"
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Danielou likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII) Empty Re: Cracking noise from the pickups (ConcordII)

Post by Westbone Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 am

Alternatively sand the back of the plate with rough sandpaper.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Danielou likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielou Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:It could be static generated from your fingers on the scratchplate, I've had this on a couple of concord ii guitars. 
My remedy was to line the pickup cavity and back of the plate with adhesive copper foil, creating a "Faraday cage"
Should I look for any specific foil (thickness, purpose, quality, etc.)? Or I can just buy any from eBay?
Danielou
Danielou
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Danielou Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Westbone wrote:Alternatively sand the back of the plate with rough sandpaper.
Thats an idea. So gloss finish is more prone to accumulate static?
Danielou
Danielou
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down