The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250

4 posters

Go down

pickup - Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250 Empty Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250

Post by woodgnome Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 am

I have an '82 Prestige 250 with double gold pickups and it has an additional mini-toggle switch near the volume knobs which is currently not wired. I think the original idea was to introduce extra pickup switching options but I am thinking of selling the guitar and think it would be slightly easier to sell if the mini-toggle was wired to switch one of the pickups single-pole rather than not being wired at all.

Does anyone know whether this is achievable?
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-12-10

Back to top Go down

pickup - Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250 Empty Re: Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250

Post by corsair Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Looking at the website would seem to indicate that the 82 250 didn't have a mini switch as OEM, and given that it has the PEQ tone controls, I'm at a loss to think of what such a switch would do?
Maybe one of our 250 owners would like to chime in about now.....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

pickup - Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250 Empty Re: Single pole pickup mod on Prestige 250

Post by woodgnome Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 pm

You're correct, it was retro-fitted. I'm just trying to not have a useless switch to have to explain to potential buyers. Although I guess a non-working switch is better than a hole in the body were I to remove it  Neutral
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:09 pm

That's very true! Laughing

Perhaps it was a kill switch? Or perhaps to switch between series and parallel on one or both pickups? Either way, it can be made to work in either of those ways should you wish to do so...

*edit. I see it was a phase reverse according to your earlier posts - that can be re-installed, too, should you want....

Personally, I think phase reverse is a huge non-event and don't use it on any of the guitars that I own that are so equipped... YMMV, of course!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by woodgnome Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 pm

I can't see the point of phase reverse either! However, if that's the only thing I can do to get the switch wired up, it'll have to do! The wiring on just one pickup has been interrupted and I'm not keen to start on the wiring for the other one.

'Scuse my ignorance, but when you say switch between series and parallel, are you talking about switching the two coils of the humbucker between series and parallel and if so, what effect would them being in parallel have?

If it's possible, what would be the effect of turning off one coil via a switch, other than reducing volume and potentially increasing background noise?

Thanks for your time.
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:51 pm

The PEQ tone controls switch between series/parallel.

A  coil tap with your mini switch is of course possible,,,,,don't ask me how.... Smile...that you'll have work out...not hard but wiring colours changed.....so depends what you've got. Or get get a grommet..... Very Happy. Coil tap/parallel not really much difference. Waste of time. PEQ as per standard wiring is  fine. Don't panic..... Cool

Seeing as your selling it hows about a photo or two??

Lets see this beast..... Twisted Evil
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am

Pic or we don't believe you.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by woodgnome Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:32 pm

I think you may have already seen it from a different thread  Neutral  https://westone.forumotion.com/t6602-how-do-i-definitively-age-my-prestige-250
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down