The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

+17
colt933
silence86
boutjp97
nasticanasta
Obi Wan Russell
Barry
diddydave
Steve777
corsair
norfolkngood
kebabage
grogg
Frenchy
DuoFuzz
Warrn
hendrik
anaerobe
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

guitar - Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero? Empty Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:55 pm

This is a famous old vid, and I'm sure many of us have seen this, but felt its worthy of posting - if simply to watch how he did his dive bombs.
JH once said that he never played a song the same twice, on purpose. Unbelievably talented person...

If there is there anyone (younger crowd? - Kebabage?) who hasn't seen this, here you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLKKGHrGMxQ

Last edited by anaerobe on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : learned a few things - found a stable version of the vid)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

guitar - Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero? Empty Re: Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Post by hendrik Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:35 pm

You're quite right. Everything started right there, more or less.

But our young folks have their own hero's too, which we older fellas should take into account.
And start listening to!
To be honest I'm not so much a 60's or 70's men, only a few from this time still touch my senses.
Which are Keith and Pete. And Neil for shure! And F.Z. (R.I.P.), the Grateful Dead's, Jerry and Bob.
Who to name from the seventies, I don't know ? Yes Mr.Page and Mr. Gilmour. Jeff Beck. But then.... ?
The 80's brought the Edge, the 90's some fellas from Seattle. Santriani and Vai. And the last ten years, Mr. White.
And F.Z. son, Dweezil.

I forgot my favourite English guitar player, started in the 90's and is even better now, Graham Coxon of Blur.

I know I missed a few, some by purpose (Eric Clapton), some by accident.
Help me out, who did I not mention.

But Hendrix put the level high.

And to all young fellas, can you recommend which younger guitar players we should listen to?

H.

Last edited by hendrik on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing perosn added)
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

guitar - Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero? Empty Re: Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm not very young, but my son like Dinosaur Jr... and I don't even know the guitarists' name from that band, but he can rip it.

Its a start! Smile
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth, yep, as the English would say, exactly my cup of tea.
Seems your son is a good fella. Cool

H.
hendrik
hendrik

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 pm

That was really hard to listen to, yeesh. The Star Spangled Banner with a bunch of random squawking? Hendrix is a great guitar player, but that just hurt my ears, I've heard him do a lot better. Or maybe I need to toke up first? Neutral

As far as great guitarists of the present day go... I don't know, I go for bands with funky basslines and horns which usually only have rhythm guitar, so... I guess the guy in Suburban Legends can pull some sweet solos out of nowhere, but I don't think anyone here would like a band that combines disco and ska with purposely cheesy lyrics. My favorite band is Less Than Jake, but the spotlight there is pretty much entirely on the bass, the guitar is rhythm rhythm rhythm.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Random squawking... ?? I'd better put a cup on before I throw out my personal prefs... Very Happy
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:47 pm

I know they aren't exactly a 'newer' band but would like to mention the Red Hot Chili Peppers and guitarist John Frusciante. This guy has an old school playing style and sound, and I believe he is one of the most underrated players out there.
His rhythm technique is staggering especially when he goes into his full on funk mode.
Some say their songs can end up sounding the same as each other, but if you haven't listened to them much I reckon you should go for their last album Stadium Arcadium. It's makes a great chill out record that I like to listen to when I'm travelling.

If I can choose an older guitarist and my favorite player ever, I'm going with Peter Green. Back in the day he I think was the best of the '60s blues explosion' guitarists and was way more expressive and soulful than Clapton, Page and Beck etc.
Sadly it didn't last and the rock star life style caught up with him. One spiked LSD sent him a bit loopy and he spent the next 20 odd years in and out of hospital with mental problems. He was given electric shock treatment and and was kept over medicated for years.
He is now back on his feet and working again but has never tried to the guitarist he once was.

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:09 pm

anaerobe wrote:Random squawking... ?? I'd better put a cup on before I throw out my personal prefs... Very Happy
I'm sorry, but it was just bad. I may not be able to play the Star Spangled Banner on guitar, but I can certainly play random notes that sound better and clearer than the noise he was making. I had to take my headphones off a couple times...

I like Hendrix, but not enough to be able to appreciate that bit of improv. I'm sorry if that's blasphemy, I listen to music that most people don't like as it is.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 pm

No problem. You are free to your opinion, and you don't need apologize for that, especially to me.

Sense of wonder argument: If I may make the suggestion that its not so much about _what_ the song is (and I am no fan of the star-spangled banner), but simply the tech used and the sheer skill involved to coax the noises that he did out of his guitar. To me, its an amazing bit of art. Could I listen to it on the way to work? Nope. Could I try to play it? Yes. Would I be successful? Not a snowball's chance in Kiwistan. Everybody says "Oh, Hendrix is great", but very few appreciate the depth of the skill the man held. Did you notice him tuning up in the midst of the start of the Banner? As my son would say.... that's SICK.

Like Frank Zappa, Hendrix' music rouses out some strong emotions from people, positive or negative. That alone is interesting. Why is that? I like thinking about those conundrums.

When I was younger, I really had no interest in Hendrix. Mainly the stuff that gets all the airplay is actually among the most mundane of his work. I came around to his stuff (Are you Experienced?, etc), and found that the guy can get some very subtle licks out of his axe. After monkeying around for years playing just about every genre you can think of, I think I can see what all the fuss is about and the genius in what he did.

Art is subjective...even how your day at school or work went may influence what you will like to listen to. At least in my case.

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Well, if you want to speak technically, what he played really was amazing. When I say it was bad, what I mean is that I don't think it sounded good. I don't want to listen to it again. But for him to be able to play it really is outstanding.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Brother, thats where I was going. Your observation did cause me to edit the title to reflect the technical basis of my enthusiasm. afro
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Hendrik,

Yeah, he's only 12 but he has a healthy respect for all things guitar. He's going through phases ... many of those, but has enjoyed Dinosaur Jr for more than a year now, and its great stuff. He is also becoming fond of some of the older Radiohead (The Bends, Kid A etc). I think that guy uses a ....telecaster?? I believe, but he creates a good bit of different sounds through that.

He was bugging me to see a new release called "This could get loud" IIRC with the Edge, White and Page - that could be fun. I haven't looked at any reviews of it.

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:26 am

Anaerobe,

grab your son and a have big evening in the movies. Cool
He will look at you, with different eyes. That's my dad. pirat
The only bad thing for you, your son will have at least another guitar and few pedals for Christmas.
And you have to extend the soundproof installation in your garage or cellar, where he is usually practicing.

H.

Radiohead is actually one of my favorites. But not the old records, the newer ones starting from Kid A.
But I really can recommend Graham Coxons solo records, great guitar work.
hendrik
hendrik

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 am

Will do that Hendrik.

Story about Keith (son). He has his pick of my a fair number of guitars to play/practice. He and a bunch of buddies did a rendition of "Sunshine of your love" for their grade 6 finale last spring.
Like a lot of youngsters, he's attracted to play the Gibson LP...little kids and Gibsons are magnetically attracted.
BUT, when it came down to it:
He picked up my white Westone Spectrum DX to play in the actual performance before the school. I loved that (because I try to keep my opinions to myself)! "Sounds right, Dad" was his comment.

+++++++++++++++

Dan,

Eclectic list! I forgot about those guys... both amazing players.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am

Being in my forties....

You seemed to have missed some large names and influences so far in the guitar greats....

Some of my influences for guitar include:

Brian May (large sound for a 4 piece band)
Randy Rhoads (a god in his short lived carreer)
Angus Young (what a sound and impact on Rock music!)
Eddie Van Halen (the modern rock Hendrix)
Tony Iommy (the Dark Lord )
Gleen Tipton and KK Downing (the roots of Metal)

P.
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:22 pm

OK I'm back, this is a second bite of the cherry. My brain cells managed to recall some more guitarists I like and admire. Sorry some of them are paired together, I couldn't split them up! Rolling Eyes

Slash - How does he nail so many cool blues/rock solo's.
Jack White - Born in the wrong decade, catchy riffs aplenty. Listen to The Raconteurs 2nd album Consolers Of The Lonely, amazing.
James Hetfield & Kirk Hammett - James is the riff machine and kirk has been one of the best thrash metal lead guitarists for 28 years!
Dave Murray & Adrian Smith - Harmony guitar work at it's best. How does Murray play so well and make it look like he's not struggling!
Lonnie Johnson & Eddie Lang - Fretboard shredding '30s style! A blues/ragtime/jazz duo with unbelievable talent. If your into this kind of stuff give 'em a listen.

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 pm

I knowJeff Beck got a mention in this thread but recommend listening to the album "You had it coming" to see what amazing sounds someone can get out of a guitar (strat). Have a look at this, I cant even imagine being able to play it https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+beck+nadia&search_type=&aq=f
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 am

Hi again.

I will never understand why people are saying Slash is good guitarist.
As long a hear some older G'n'R songs, I hear Izzy Stradlin, IZZY, IZZY...
And a boring solo by Slash. Twisted Evil

This guy, Izzy Stradlin, is also one of the highly underestimated players.

I recommend his solo work.

And let me add to more Brits to the list:

Noel G.
Sergio Pizzorno
George Harrison

H.

Last edited by hendrik on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Don't ask !!!)
hendrik
hendrik

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:04 am

I have to admit - George Harrison is way up there. His riffs have a hallmark simplicity with extreme catch... like a lot of the best hypotheses in science.

++++++++++++++

Grogg - the JB video is outstanding. I can't see how he strikes the string scratch to get those phrases.

++++++++++++++

Dan - I enjoy Jack White.. he seems like a throwback in many ways. When he was in Winnipeg last summer he took his guitar and a little squawkbox amp jammed with anyone who would listen in the downtown.

In that line how 'bout Curt Cobain. - some serious genius from that guy. Nirvana's unplugged album had hints of the great.

++++++++++++++

Frenchy - Angus Young definitely should be in there! AC/DC were in my town last week - a giant train is the backdrop of their gig.

How does Angus achieve that sound? It might be simple... but I dunno??? Just cranked volume, clean, with Marshalls? Nothing in between?

O... and Tommy Iommi is utterly fantastic - you are right on that as well. Like Harrison, he was all about taking a simple group of notes and messing with it until it was perfect.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by kebabage Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:34 am

Hey, ofcourse I have seen this video! I was very close to buying the dvd once!
As for my favourite guitarists:
J Mascis - Dinosaur Jr, not the best singer but my fave guitarist of the generation, screaming solos!
Stevie Ray Vaughan, really soulful song writer, not so original but amazing at what he did, brought some good music to the 80's
Mike Mcready - Pearl Jam, along with Stone Gossard they made some incredible songs, especially from the Ten album. Great at solos too
Jack White, though I prefer his voice over guitaring. I like his unique selection of guitars and sound. He seems to be good live and started off with alot of bluesy licks.
Jimmy Page - Had a phase of being a big Led Zep fan, but since moving from humbuckers to single coils, I've listened and played along with them less lol
Neil Young - Seen him twice and each time hes blown me away, his guitar old black crashes like thunder on stage!
Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins - Back in the day when he had hair and recorded albums Gish and Siamese Dream - he distinguished two unique sounds, the first album being more tinny, the other punchy. He also devised some amazing, unforgettable solo's!

At the end of the day, they are all somewhat inspired by Hendrix, who was inevitably the best guitarist of his generation. There are much better guitarists than him around today, but they owe it all to him for starting off the scene.. The new sound, unique chords, solos, phsychadelic riffs and setting guitars on fire!
kebabage
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:51 am

Cool. Thanks Kebabage... I was hoping you'd chip in!

+++++++++++++++++++++

OK... my son and I, together with a few buddies came up with these lists:
+++++++++++++

Ian and son:

Good Old guitarists - Randy Bachman, Alex Lifeson, David Wilcox

Good younger guitarists - Gordie Johnson, Ian D'Sa, Jag Tanna, Mike Turner, The Guy from Silverchair (??)

Good Old Bassists: - Greg Goddovitz, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Sting

Good younger Bassists: Victor Wooten - beyond most stuff I've seen.

Check this out - a rendition of Norweigian Wood.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en&q=victor%20wooten&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

++++++++++++++

40-something buddies picks (in addition to those mentioned)

General category great guitarists - Pat Travers, Kim Mitchell, Jeff Healey, Frank Marino, Frank Soda,
Lenny Breau, Bruce Cockburn, Liona Boyd, Tony Springer, Amos Garrett, Domenic Troiano, Joe Rico, Sue Foley, Kenny Greer,
Jeff Waters, Billy Gibbons.

Here's a very young Jeff Healey with SRV, ripping up "Look at little sister":

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en&q=Jeff%20healey&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

++++++++++++++++++

Guys who influenced the greats - John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Les Paul

Video of a young Howlin' Wolf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6N00CwudA

Last edited by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : son continues to think/dispense advice)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:05 am

Just run into a few more, particular during achieving some 12 string sounds with my EHX POG:

Peter Buck

Roger McGuinn

Tom Petty and Mike Campbell

Lindsey Buckingham

Singer/Songwriter electrical:

Billy Bragg

And the Sonic Youth's:

Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo

My favorite bass player, probably completely unknown outside Germany, but this guy is a living bass:

Jäcki Reznicek - he wrote a few bass books, which belong from my understanding to the best educational books for bass
players

H.

Last edited by hendrik on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
hendrik
hendrik

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:06 am

Hendrik - absolutely -all those guys...
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:17 pm

Not under 30 (closer to 30 twice over) but for what it's worth... my ramble in A minor.

Probably a hanging and flogging offence on any guitar-related forum, but I don't rate Jimi Hendrix as a player. His genius and his mark in history is that he led the way for all who followed in terms of exploiting the potential of the electric guitar. I do like some of his songs (oddly I prefer some of the slower stuff like "Little Wing") but I don't think he was anywhere near his playing peak when he left us. One of the great unanswered questions, except by me after a beer or several too many, is where some of the died-too-young musos would be now if their lives hadn't been cut short. Think Jimi, John Lennon, Janis, even Elvis (but not Michael Jackson!). Would they have gone on to reverential status like BB King or just been content to make a good living from song-writing credits interspersed with the occasional comeback tour? There's no right answer.

Much harder to list who I do rate as there are so many and, as I'm not in the first flush of youth, the faves have changed as the years have rolled by. Not just because he's died recently, but Les Paul is on the list. The Chester & Lester album he did with Chet Atkins is a regular listen. Totally unrelated, but Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple is in there, as is Jimmy Page. Eric Clapton for sure, although I think he's now reliving past glories (certainly he's can't be gigging for the money). SRV was unbelievably good and hadn't peaked musically when the plane went down.

And the big 3 for me...

Paul Kossoff of Free; another genius who died too young
Mark Knoffler/ Dire Straits (really wish that he'd find a severe need for a few more £millions and get DS back together for a tour)... and

Gary Moore. Followed his career from Skid Row through Thin Lizzy and then his solo years, saw him a few years back at Birmingham NEC when he was support for BB King's last UK dates. He still seems to want to move on musically, his work has alternated between blues & rock and back again, I've got all the albums and DVDs and will probably be buried with them!

So who's out there now? Well for me, Joe Bonamassa keeps the flame burning. Looking forward to seeing him in December when his UK tour brings him to Norwich. And for home-grown talent I recommend a young lad called Oli Brown (check out his vids on youtube and you'll see why). I'm also catching his local gig in December, Norwich is now officially the centre of the musical universe!
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Looks like us old fogeys have hijacked this thread. Good to see BB King get a mention, saw him recently, still a great performer. Wilcox brings back some memories, gooduns. Heres a couple of others worthy of some honours:-
Nils Lofgren, used to do somersaults off a trampet mid solo without missing a note
Santana - cant believe hes not been mentioned or did I miss him?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks Grogg - Santana took the harmonic scale and blew it to pieces!!

Norfolkingood - Yep.. Ritchie Blackmore was insanely fast - and moreover I always felt that his riffs "had direction" if you know what I mean. My favourite by him is LAZY - from Machine Head.

And I would say Les Paul was a great (have said it too) - and the album "Chester and Lester" is brilliant.

+++++++++++++++++

Also - I've edited the thread title a bit - now we don't need to feel guilty.

Speaking of harmonic scales....

I can't believe that I forgot Buck Dharma

of Blue Oyster Cult.

Epic solo on "Veteran of the psychic wars" - note this is 80's music - what a ray of light that was IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrd2xf5DIlU

As someone said "Makes Stairway to Heaven sound like the theme from Gilligan's Island." Laughing
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Right-o chaps, I feel that we've probably done this one to death... and that we're also probably pretty bloody close to having the thread locked; this IS a Westone forum, when all's said and done... but I'll get mine in before that happens.... Laughing

1. James Wilkinson - a NZ guitar player whose technique, phrasing and humility are beyond compare. Really, I've seen a lot of the players mentioned here over the years and James is easily their equal. "Trimming hedges"

2. Ian Moss - Aussie player with the band Cold Chisel; never ever lets the guitar or the solo get in the song's way and when he rocks, he has feel and technique in spades. "Star Hotel"

3. Kenny Burrell - jazz player, chordal melodies, jaw-dropping ease and fluidity. "Bye and bye"

4. Randy Bachman - best work with Guess Who; simply stunning song writing and playing skills; none of his stuff is easy to play, just easy on the ear! "Undun"

5. Wally Bryson - the Raspberries' guitarist; rarely took a solo but his rhythm phrasing and chord structures are just SO easy on the ear. Used a twin neck 6/12 onstage... "Go all the way"

6. Rory Gallagher - Irish bluesman. Another messy, all-over -the-place player, but God, he was good! Meet him backstage in 1979, and a nicer guy you'll never have met. "Shadow play"

So there's an arbitrary top 6 from me; a list like this changes for me evert day but today, at this moment, all of these guys are an inspiration to me, but that said so is anyone who plays an instrument; and that includes singers.

Rock on... Twisted Evil
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Under 80?! Feel comforirritablenow, where me teeth?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Mmmm, so many good guitarists, and so many names I saw in lights during the 70's and 80's. Hendrix was way ahead of his time and has a selected place in my LP (Long player !!!) collection. I'm also partial to Joe Walsh from James gang forward, Andy powell from Wishbone Ash, Leslie West from his Mountain days, and Santana. Saw Santana in 2006 at Wembly ... outstanding. Billy Gibbons from ZZ top ... very unique ... also saw them at Wembly.

Met Blackmore and team in "72", got his autograph somewhere! Tony Mcphee ... also met him after a Groundhogs gig in the local SU building in "72". Nice blokes!

Thin Lizzy live were a joy to behold as was the Sensational Alex Harvet Band ... Zal Cleminson .. Great! Saw Rory Gallager at the local theatre in Coventry ... the loudest gig I have ever been to .. deaf for days after. Sabbath also were entertaining.

Saw Queen on their first tour and Brian May, well, he had / has talent a plenty. Strangely, I saw 10cc in the 70's and both guitarists were polished and new their stuff.

The strangest gig I went to was in the late 70's when punk was at its height. The Sex Pistols were banned from most places but we heard that they were to play a night club in Coventry under another name. The place was packed solid with punks, safety pins, spittle ... and who walked on to the stage .... Alvin Lee. I think he was just as surprised as we were.

I went through a Jazz phase after that Earl Klugh, Johnny Smith, Wilbert Longmire and so many others. So clever and so way ahead of anything I could do or imagine. Not sure there are many guitarists who can make the transition from Rock to Jazz. As far as bassist go , there is only one Jaco Pastoris (I think that's how its spelt?) If I remember correctly, didn't he play the Voodoo Chile guitar part on the bass?

As for Buck Dharma, "Dont fear the reaper" is coming with me to my desert island.

And now, well, I listen in the car to a range of guitar technologists ... Vai, Satriani, etc. Still go back and listen to SRV now and again.

Good thread this ...brought back names I'd ... err ...forgotten!
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:10 pm

One of my fave guitar plays, not the best but I love it. Skip forward to about 2.30 mins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeHnEOV1T4
Ooh we're all wavering around the 50 mark.

On to bass next.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Grogg - Lofgren was great - gosh I forgot about him.

++++++++++++

Steve777 - thinking about some of my old Rory Gallagher vinyl locked away in the basement. I've got to find one of those USB-friendly turntables.

+++++++++++

John, mention of the Raspberries got some gears grinding.....

<BANG>, ow. OK I also forgot Pete Ham, the guitarist in this band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

I think the music was backtracked in this version with live vocals... <sigh>... still it was an amazing song... etched in my mind. Badfinger was one of my favourites from the 70's... I remember listening to this stuff on AM radio in my Dad's Pontiac "Safari" wagon, on trips to the lake.

Power pop at its best.

++++++++++++++++++++++

More forehead thumpers: Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick - perhaps rock's first anti-hero. As well as David Grohl from the Foo Fighters.

And also: Django Reinhardt

Last edited by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : had to dredge the car model plus son's periodic advice)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Here's a representative vid of Jack White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1stuzGmz0&NR=1

The drummer has a .... unique style.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:40 am

anaerobe wrote: OK I also forgot Pete Ham, the guitarist in this band:

Yeah; Badfinger were a great band: Pete was the rhythm player, Joey Molland did the good stuff. Odd that both Pete and Tom hung themselves though.... perhaps being the first to sign to Apple wasn't all it was cracked up to be!!? Shocked McCartney certainly had numbers on himself: he made Badfinger record and release one of his tunes - the execrable 'Come and get it', when Pete Ham already had 'No matter what' written. And he's still a prat...

The Raspberries - yes indeedy; Eric Carmen at his sleazy best before he went all 'cabaret'; Wally Bryson is such a tasteful player...

I also like Glenn Buxtons work with Alice, and Mick Ronsons with Bowie...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by kebabage Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:07 pm

I'd say the drummer, Meg has a minimalist style (purely due to lack of skill hehehe)
Jack relies on alot of effects but does rock, quite the eccentric!
kebabage
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:43 pm

For all of you who are wondering about Django Reinhardt, here he is (be patient he will play eventually on this track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpO5xIltlyU&feature=fvw

He liked to play with Stephan Grapelli, a great violinist and pianist in his own right. Smile

...and this is a very clear vid of Django shredding with some friends in NY... solo after solo... brilliant stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a64uyOUw_A&feature=related

Last edited by anaerobe on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Kebabage, quite right about Meg, I believe. I heard somewhere that White asks her NOT to practice, for the sounds he wants. lol!
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Reinhardt and Grapelli, what brilliance.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm

... and Django played with a damaged hand (there was a fire in his caravan, left him with two fingers partially fused together). Much of his stuff with the Hot Club is bar chords; it was easier for him to move his hand than his fingers.

Puts my "haven't played much lately, losing my callouses" into context!

BTW, liking this thread, got me blowing the dust off some of my old CDs (I flogged all my viny after my old Dynatron, there's a name from the 70's, finally died but I've replaced most of the good stuff on CD)
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Django was cetainly one of a kind! You've gotta wonder about deals with the devil and crossroads at midnite when you hear his playing and realise that he's only using 2 fretting fingers due to a fire in his caravan! And he literally wore out a guitar every six months... Shocked
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Shifting gears again... I found a pretty obscure clip of Frank Zappa live. This is a basic blues progression, and for his solo, go straight to 5:40.

I've yet to hear anything quite like it eg, this depth of eastern fusion :farao: injected into a blues format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cjNUgZFr0&feature=related

And the somewhat less frenetic "Black Napkins" ..live - I really enjoy his use of the low E string on this tune, he strangles it for all its its worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-NMnYhM3Q&feature=related

Last edited by anaerobe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more good stuff begging to be added)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

How about Wilko Johnson from Dr Feelgood. Saw them a few times and they were great entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaybV46MA6E
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Yup, really good.

Here are some others, if they have been added let me know:

Good older guitarists: Roger Waters, Joe Strummer, Johnny Winter

Good newer guitarists: Colin James, Buckethead.

Here's a vid of the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3TT0E0uwU&feature=related

And for you Led Zeppelin fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9mPXNqsDmU&feature=related

Here's a cover of "Stone Free" that brought a smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AYnRihySE&feature=related

Here's another "jam session" with just about all but the kitchen sink (Bach, banjo, a well known movie theme), check out the banjo in the mid of the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q3p_o8A6g

Buckethead is unusual, but my gosh he's talented. The song at 5:10 is amazing IMHO.

Last edited by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong "Winter" :) - and a better bunch of solos)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey chaps!

I found this really interesting reading but as John (Corsair) rightly pointed out, this really isn't a Westone discussion topic. However, I'm not that much of a monster that I would lock the thread so I have just moved it to here instead.

For what it is worth, my son who is almost 23 is a huge fan of Hendrix as are many of the younger generations in my family. Personally, I was never very keen on the man nor his music and I have to admit that I preferred his more 'slower' and laid back songs like 'Little Wing' and even perhaps 'Red House'.

On a final note as far as talented guitarist are concerned, I would like to say that I haven't seen any mention of Robert Johnson who was way ahead of his time!

Polly
:queen: :flower:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks Polly! Cool

How 'bout buckethead?

Last edited by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .. had to ask!)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Ah well, perhaps buckethead is ... too eccentric.

Back to other "old" heroes...

Syd Barrett was great before he dropped off the deep end.

Also: Dickie Betts

Also: Pete Townshend

Young guitar gods:

Dime (Dimebag Darrell Lance Abbott)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Buckethead amazing, forgotten him. Not for the fainthearted tho.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Buckethead is sort of like a modern day Hendrix. Astoundingly skilled, but 9 out of 10 of his songs will make your ears bleed.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks boys. Both of you are exactly bang on with those assessments eg, faint-hearted need not apply and Hendrixian parallels IMHO. Buckethead's really up in the stratosphere. I had a chuckle watching a vid of him on a PBS special... 90% of the audience were looking at each other and the other 10% were rocking out. Same reaction in 1969 for Hendrix, playing stuff with his teeth.

Bucketheadian factoid: I read that the theatrical mask thing is due to extreme stage-fright... if that's correct, he's doing OK.

Back down to earth, or at least on earth itself are one of the best bands (British, American, Canadian, Kiwistanian, etc bar none) I ever heard as a 14 year old -> present, if for nothing other than their honesty and guts in their stage shows. Joe Strummer et al (Clash)...

I include "I fought the Law" simply because I couldn't find Death or Glory. Good sound on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4&feature=related
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:06 am

Frenchy wrote:Being in my forties....

You seemed to have missed some large names and influences so far in the guitar greats....

Some of my influences for guitar include:

Brian May (large sound for a 4 piece band)
Randy Rhoads (a god in his short lived carreer)
Angus Young (what a sound and impact on Rock music!)
Eddie Van Halen (the modern rock Hendrix)
Tony Iommy (the Dark Lord )
Gleen Tipton and KK Downing (the roots of Metal)

P.

Angus Young..? Dunno, Malcolm Young definitely as he's the one who writes and plays those bone-crushing riffs, Angus just solos in the blues box; that Gretsch of Malcolms is strung with either .13s or 14s: I tried it once on some POS (stratocaster!!) and whilst my fingers are used to .12s, 14s are something else again; brutal stuff!! Shocked
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 am

Corsair, you're quite right, Malcom is the man.
Playing this rhythm guitar....

I saw Jeff Beck a few years ago. He had beautiful women in his band, which played guitar.
I think she's a jazz guitarist, can't remember her name. But during the concert she played nice battles with Jeff,
which have been stunning. So I would like to add her to the list. Maybe someone can help.

Why not add some more bass players: Without them it's sometimes quite difficult.

Marcus Miller
Paul Simonon
Flea
Michael Anthony
Bootsy Collins

Tal Wilkenfeld --> see the DVD Jeff Beck Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club
Tina Weymouth
Kim Gordon
Melissa Auf Der Maur
Me’shell Ndegeocello
hendrik
hendrik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next